Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How often do you wash your Cali?

Borris

Borris

Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I gave our Cali a thorough wash and brush up today for the first time in what must be many months and it got me wondering. How often do most owners wash their vans?

I really can't remember when I last washed it properly. For obvious reasons it hasn't been used much recently so hasn't been getting that mucky. Never the less, I always remove bird lime asap and occasionally blast off the all too common Saharan sand with a jet washer when necessary. However, I avoid doing this too frequently because we have hard water and it leaves calcium deposits when dry. I only ever towel the paintwork etc if the vehicle has been washed thoroughly. I would usually jet wash the whole van once a week or so using a very good local filtered car wash. It does a superb job but hasn't been open since covid struck.Tbh I avoid washing it too often as doing it properly takes up most of a day, besides I take the view that too much cleaning increases the chances of damaging the vehicle.

I am interested in what your regime is and what your thoughts on this subject are.

As a matter is interest, we have a duo colour Beach. Today I experimented with new cleaning method:

1. Jet wash the whole van including the wheel arches and under body.
2. Snow foam everything.
3. Jet wash off.
Next
4. Wash the roof with a extendable hose brush.
5. Hand wash roof with woollen mit
6. Wash off.
7. Pop the roof and clean the gutters, check drain holes are clear, clean rubber seals and hidden paintwork.
8. Wash off.
Next
9. Wash all the upper Candy White paintwork and glass.
10. Towel dry.
11. Wash and towel dry N/S side lower Star Light Blue section.
12. Repeat the process on the O/S then the rear and finally the front.
If I were to wash the whole van and then towel it off, half the van would have dried on calcium marks which look unsightly and are a bugger to shift.
13. Wash wheels and tyres.

I use a soft wheel cleaning brush to clean out all seams and crevices and wash all door shuts etc as I go.

Most boring thread of the year competition anyone?
I regularly wash my Cali, and enjoy doing it. We all get different enjoyment from our Cali’s, and washing it gives me a sense of pride when it looks all clean and shines, my phone is full of pics of my clean Cali. I am also happy to see threads with pictures of the electrics in your new garage, others may find that boring, each to their own! ;)

When its dirty, Snow foam is a game changer, as is the hydrophobic coating.
Stays cleaner longer.

When its dirty, Snow foam is a game changer, as is the hydrophobic coating.
Stays cleaner longer.
Does it get grime off? My GTI and van roof have some pretty stubborn grime.

I regularly wash my Cali, and enjoy doing it. We all get different enjoyment from our Cali’s, and washing it gives me a sense of pride when it looks all clean and shines, my phone is full of pics of my clean Cali. I am also happy to see threads with pictures of the electrics in your new garage, others may find that boring, each to their own! ;)
True. But the garage electrics was a joke you obviously missed. I'm not saying washing the cali isn't enjoyable to some. I'm just saying how boring it is to talk about. 2 buckets. Foam. Hose. Rags . Shammy. Hose again. Dry. Wax on wax off. Paint fence. Yawn.

We also have hard water which can leave marks, but all washing happens with the water except for the final rinse, which is softened water and then towel dry.

Process
1. Jet wash
2. Snow foam
3. Jet wash
4. Two bucket shampoo hand wash
5. Jet wash off
6. Rinse with softened water
7. Towel dry
8. Blow dry the door rails, runners and the cable runner slots
9. Hard wax polish (if time allows)

Have mastered to complete 1 to 8 with in 1.5 hrs.

Roof? Wash? What's that?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

True. But the garage electrics was a joke you obviously missed. I'm not saying washing the cali isn't enjoyable to some. I'm just saying how boring it is to talk about. 2 buckets. Foam. Hose. Rags . Shammy. Hose again. Dry. Wax on wax off. Paint fence. Yawn.

The joke wasn’t missed, maybe mine was?

Love washing the van.
But only wash it when I’m in the mood, whether it’s dirty or not.

Total detailing geek, love it, sometimes I give it the full routine, sometimes just a quick squirt.

It’s black:eek:

I’m inspired to start a “show me your cleaning products” thread :D

@Borris Mines black, so always needs drying after a wash, have you tried a drying aid/quick detailer spray? Might help with your drying and calcium marks.

@Borris Mines black, so always needs drying after a wash, have you tried a drying aid/quick detailer spray? Might help with your drying and calcium marks.
No I haven't. I do some research and give it a try.

I also had a Pearlescent Black cali which was a total nightmare to keep clean in our area. Every drop of tap water made it look dreadful unless toweled off straight away. Consequently, I only washed it when it was raining.

To Borris's original question - our van gets washed maybe twice or three times a year, mostly that's during summer when it's not immediately going to be disgusting again in 5 mins.

Hose down, soapy water from a bucket, hose down again and maybe scrub the alloys with a squeegee. Not sure why I bother really but then I've never been that bothered with car cleanliness as we drive on country roads and have dogs.

But the foam thing is intriguing, will give that a look.

Ooh a Gti owner too? Nice. Here’s mine
If we're talking shiny hot hatches, picked up this one this morning. It'll certainly never be as clean as this again in its life. But it's a rally car at heart so mud and grime is fine. Anyway hard water will be a good excuse for not bothering.

1618954101590.png

I tend to was weekly as it’s my daily driver.
wet van with hose.
wash with two bucket method - start with roof and use small step ladder to get access.
once body done use separate sponge for wheels.
towel dry it.
then clay bar (about once a month in summer) and polish with autoglym.

learnt about the two bucket method on this forum :thumb

To Borris's original question - our van gets washed maybe twice or three times a year, mostly that's during summer when it's not immediately going to be disgusting again in 5 mins.

Hose down, soapy water from a bucket, hose down again and maybe scrub the alloys with a squeegee. Not sure why I bother really but then I've never been that bothered with car cleanliness as we drive on country roads and have dogs.

If we're talking shiny hot hatches, picked up this one this morning. It'll certainly never be as clean as this again in its life. But it's a rally car at heart so mud and grime is fine. Anyway hard water will be a good excuse for not bothering.

View attachment 77082
A Toyota Yaris GR - with the competition pack extra? Very nice.
is it as good as the press says it is?

View attachment 77082
This car needs it’s own thread :cool: