Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How often do you wash your Cali?

Hello,

The California is a kind of a hobby, which includes to look after it in cleaning and maintenance.

Washing:
I wash the camper when I think it is needed and when it fits in my daily plans. That could be once a month (in the winter) and once a week / fortnight (in the summer).
  • Hoover the van inside first
  • Dust the dashboard
  • Steamclean the van
  • Cover the van with Karcher car foam
  • After 5 minutes I use a clean wash glove
  • Steamclean it again to wash of the foam
  • Dry with a microfiber towl (using the blower option of the hoover for the hard to reach areas)
  • Dry the rims
  • Use a spray wax to get some shine
Maintenance
3x or 4x times a year I put more focus on maitneance most of the time after the van is washed
  • Charger the batteries once a month
  • Get everthing out of the van and clean the cupboards and shelves
  • Clean the rubber and the edges of the roof
  • Clean the fresh and waste water tank 2x a year
  • Check batteries of equipment that is in the van all the time (torch, radio, small TV, etc.)
  • Check the sliding doors and if nesseary put some spray onto the grooves for easy movement
  • Check the tire air pressure 1x a month
  • Check motor oil 1x a month
I am not sure if I listed all the things I do on a regular basis, but those items are just in my mind at the moment.

As I mentioined above it is for me a hobby and I enjoy spending time with the camper. I park it in front of the garage, switch on the radio for classic music and start working on it. The dog is around in the garden and drops by ever so often to check in with me.

Doing so I hope that I keep the camper in a good working order at all times, ensure that the van is ok in case I decide to sell it (if there are more and longer restrictions I am starting to consider this a wee bit).

Happy clean California,
Eberhard

Hello,

The California is a kind of a hobby, which includes to look after it in cleaning and maintenance.

Washing:
I wash the camper when I think it is needed and when it fits in my daily plans. That could be once a month (in the winter) and once a week / fortnight (in the summer).
  • Dust the dashboard
  • Steamclean the van
  • Dry with a microfiber towl (using the blower option of the hoover for the hard to reach areas)
  • Dry the rims
Maintenance
3x or 4x times a year I put more focus on maitneance most of the time after the van is washed
  • Check batteries of equipment that is in the van all the time (torch, radio, small TV, etc.)
  • Check the sliding doors and if nesseary put some spray onto the grooves for easy movement
I am not sure if I listed all the things I do on a regular basis, but those items are just in my mind at the moment.

As I mentioined above it is for me a hobby and I enjoy spending time with the camper. I park it in front of the garage, switch on the radio for classic music and start working on it. The dog is around in the garden and drops by ever so often to check in with me.

Doing so I hope that I keep the camper in a good working order at all times, ensure that the van is ok in case I decide to sell it (if there are more and longer restrictions I am starting to consider this a wee bit).

Happy clean California,
Eberhard
I'll bet the dog gives you some funny looks when he finds sitting there going brmm brmm brmm. :thumb

Hello,

Washing:
  • Dust the dashboard
  • Steamclean the van
  • Dry the rims
Maintenance

Happy clean California,
Eberhard
Lockdown, l hope we’re we’re past that, I don’t think there’s anymore money for the government to borrow. Certainly looks good for sellers but what to do then. I think a van gives room for dreaming, suppose you buy a potting shed

Im going to be cleaning mine too before every trip, so hopefully aiming for a trip every month - I dont think I could stand going away in a dirty Cali!

I'll bet the dog gives you some funny looks when he finds sitting there going brmm brmm brmm. :thumb
Hello Borris,

my dog gave up to be puzzled about my behaviour a long time ago . But that's what I love with dogs (in fact all animals) they don't judge if one behaviour - hm - odd. :)

Happy looked after California,
Eberhard

Lockdown, l hope we’re we’re past that, I don’t think there’s anymore money for the government to borrow. Certainly looks good for sellers but what to do then. I think a van gives room for dreaming, suppose you buy a potting shed
Hello Phil P:

We just got the ok to move freely at least in our county (or 20 km from home), but the numbers are not good. I wouldn't be surprised if they change it back.

It looks like the best we can hope for is to move freely within Ireland over the summer. But because everybody is desperate to get out, everything will be full.

I don't want to start a conversation about the huge camper van / motorhome / caravan sales in the last 2x years, but this will have an impact on us all. I get some camper van magazines from Germany and it seems there is a clear issue with the lack on available campsite places. The infrastructure is not available for the huge amount of camping vehicles sold in the last 2x years. Now it is illegal to wild camp in Portugal and Scandinavia consider to change the wild camping law, at least for foreigners.
I can see that this summer everything will be overrun and people will "misbehave" and because of this it will be more difficult for everybody.

Rant over - sorry about that. But even with the nice weather it seems might be in a pessimistic mood. Hey! Where is my dog! :);)

Happy California,
Eberhard

Bought some gear and snowed the Golf as a practice for the van.
3173407B-1241-431C-B5FB-DB7CCDEA9144.jpegBoth van and Golf are 13 years old and get washed occasionally and waxed maybe every 3 years.
8E02D4C5-C740-4EFC-A8F4-1426B44DA697.jpeg

F3A298B2-0D6A-4D8D-8BAD-A1790B8EA99A.jpegThe snow got about 70% off I think but the grime is tree and bird related so I guess that isn’t too bad. I did the 2 bucket method with mitt but didn’t have a grit guard. I think the main failure was my snow mix seemed too thin so I’m glad I practiced that. Double next time 2 to 5 not 1 to 5 I reckon.
3CCD2380-4E55-418A-84D9-600338DF5824.jpeg

96B67FC1-25ED-4C03-A442-8B37BCD39B1E.jpeg

Heavy rain and wind forecast for today so I took advantage of the free rinse in rainwater by giving my Cali a good wash. The first for a couple of months.
Amused a few neighbours, as it usually does, but there will be no hard water streaking, the guano from the local seagulls came off very easily and I dry out quickly in front of a good fire with a cup of tea.

Anyone got any suggestions how I get rid of this? Possibly caused by sun cream. I polished it off last year but it came back after a week. Is there a clay I should use?
C1E6C020-E1A9-49D6-AB61-2958265EC194.jpeg396C0BF0-F3B5-4345-8B7A-ECBDC94C3E4A.jpeg

Did the same on car and in the end used Tcut to degrease it and repolished the area. Bug remover might also do the job.

Have used a new, to me, ceramic polish by Autoglym. Very easy to use and very impressed.
Is that a polish for surfaces that have already been ceramic coated, or for use on original paintwork?

Cheap and simple hack and works every time.
Really? But does it not come back a week later?
I’ve bought T Cut and was going to Snow the van soon so will try the eraser hack before that! Not sure about the lemon!? That makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
Do what the pros do

drop out cleaner (remove all metal contamination)
traffic film remover ( remove all build up )
isopropyl alcohol (remove all wax )
paint cleaner ( light abrasive cut)
polish (. Light polish)
wax (protection)

Does it get grime off? My GTI and van roof have some pretty stubborn grime.
The wash needs a brush so have a 2 metre extension brush for the roof, works well.
the hydrophobic coating applied last keeps beading and dirt freer for over a month.