Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to bring in 220v tru hook-up IN the Cali?

H

Hotel California

Super Poster
VIP Member
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So , how do you guys bring the 220v cable in the Cali for use of a boiler , heater , oven , ....
Tru the sliding window , back door , sliding door....
Tips&tricks welcome!

I just plug my mains cable into the exterior socket next to the water tank filler. I would then plug the kettle etc into the mains socket on the front edge of the kitchen unit.
Maybe I've missed something but do you not have a mains supply already for the battery charger and therefore a mains domestic socket on the kitchen unit?

WelshGas,
You can't put a heater or boiler or oven in as it's not gonne hold the high wattage
If you use a special campingwaterboiler OK , but not a 1000w one:D
Belive it's max 150 w for the socket on the kitchenunit......

Last edited:
The plug on the side of the unit is ok for 1000w when plugged into a mains supply, it is the one on the wall of the van that is limited to 150w

The limit for the proper socket is 2500W (the one with the earth connection), the 150W limit is for the little 2 prong europlug socket.

Sorry hotel california, but I have 2 sockets on the front of the kitchen unit and on the sidewall next to the front of the kitchen unit. One is the mains inverter giving a maximum load of 150w, and that is on the side wall,and the other is a domestic mains socket giving 240v and current rated to 13amps I believe. Most campsites have mains supplies of 6 or 10 amps. So there would be absolutely no problem running a 1000w or even a 2000w kettle if the campsite supply was rated at 10amps.
Do you not have the 2 sockets?

Ok , was wondering , never plugged in anything more than the Iphone- adaptor but bought this recently....
http://www.ecomat2000.com/nl/produkte_classic.html
Runs on 450 or 750 or 1500w on full power.
And was thinking of bringing in the 220v lead in to the Cali , so not have to use the socket in the Cali....thinking it was not able to have high powerd gear in it...
Read that some have lots of electric things with you in the Cali , like small ovens , so they don't jump the security switch in the back?
Gonna try it out one of these days....;)

As long as you are within the current rating of the campsite supply you are fine.
6amp supply then maximum 1000w, don't forget the battery charger is on also.
10amp supply then a maximum of about 1750w + the charger.
Working on these ratings should be fine and not blow the campsite trips.