Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to buy a used Cali safely

Ladymuck

Ladymuck

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi all, starting to look for a Cali and wondering if I buy from a private seller how do you do that securely? Do you call the bank and transfer money whilst you are with the seller ? would appreciate any advice, thanks

That’s what I did yes. At the home address of the seller having allready done some basic checks to make sure the seller and the vehicle are what they say they are. Paid a small (£100) deposit after seeing the vehicle 1st time then collected and paid balance a week later.
Worth speaking to your bank in advance as transferring large sums of money to a personal bank account may well trigger some form of security protocol.

Thank you didn't think about forewarning the bank, did you just do it over the phone whilst with the seller ? Did the funds go into their bank account immediately? It all feels a bit scary transferring circa 50k to someone you don't know!

Agree it’s a bit scary but the internet makes it a lot easier to do some simple checks as does a bit of a delay between deposit & pick up.
I did do it over the phone whilst with the seller and even though I had warned the bank in advance it still triggered a security process leading to a lengthy conversation but the money did then show up in the sellers account immediately.
The bank were actually really helpful with some useful advice on completing the transaction.

Agree it’s a bit scary but the internet makes it a lot easier to do some simple checks as does a bit of a delay between deposit & pick up.
I did do it over the phone whilst with the seller and even though I had warned the bank in advance it still triggered a security process leading to a lengthy conversation but the money did then show up in the sellers account immediately.
The bank were actually really helpful with some useful advice on completing the transaction.
The dealership I’m using for my forthcoming brand new Cali apparently wants full payment of over £65k 48 hours prior to collection. In these uncertain times I’m a little concerned about that. It’s unlikely, but if they ceased trading between payment and vehicle collection, I’d be totally exposed. I have requested that they accept a CHAPS payment on the day of collection which is what I did when collecting a new Mercedes. I await their response. Anybody on this forum had this issue?

I bought second hand, so not quite as big a bill but I paid on the day using my debit card! Don’t think I even pre-warned the bank and it went through!

Last edited by a moderator:
The dealership I’m using for my forthcoming brand new Cali apparently wants full payment of over £65k 48 hours prior to collection. In these uncertain times I’m a little concerned about that. It’s unlikely, but if they ceased trading between payment and vehicle collection, I’d be totally exposed. I have requested that they accept a CHAPS payment on the day of collection which is what I did when collecting a new Mercedes. I await their response. Anybody on this forum had this issue?
I paid 2 days in advance with no problems.

I bought second hand, so not quite as big a bill but I paid on the day using my debit card! Don’t think I even preearned the bank and it went through!
I've done that too in the past, but you have to have a "preferred" bank account for relatively large sums. I've also done it by pre-warning the bank without problems.
Of course another way is just to get your minder to hand the cash out of the briefcase...

I paid the dealer by Chaps on the day of purchase, issuing a VAT receipt was problematic for them though, how bizarre.

Hi all, starting to look for a Cali and wondering if I buy from a private seller how do you do that securely? Do you call the bank and transfer money whilst you are with the seller ? would appreciate any advice, thanks

Carry out HPI / History check / mot check (if applicable). Get sellers name + address & then check sellers identity on something like 192.com:

The bank can do the transfer you are with the seller, so just ensure that you collect it within normal banking hours. Seller than then check with their bank directly (or check balance on banking app).

Worth remembering that the seller is also trusting you so they should be asking you to prove your identity etc as well, so don't be offended if they ask you questions.

Worth checking if your bank has a transfer limit in place. Many were £20k, although I think many have been lifted. I had to use two different accounts for one purchase.

Use PCP with minimal deposit, then pay off within 14 days. Benefit from PCP offers, any risk sits with VW Finance except deposit, no interest to pay within cancellation period.

I bought second hand, so not quite as big a bill but I paid on the day using my debit card! Don’t think I even pre-warned the bank and it went through!

Think its now restricted to about £10K a day (if done on bank app) due to money laundering rules, so you just need to call the bank for larger amounts and then they will usually question you as to what the transfer is for etc, and then make the transfer a few moments after.

I recently travelled 250 miles by train to collect our Cali. I had trouble with my bank limiting the amount to be sent per day. I rang them and was told the only way was via CHAPS which needed to be done in a branch and was subject to a £23 transaction fee. Oh, and the bank would be closing in 5 minutes.

I had to stay out overnight (luckily my parents lived nearby) and had to go into the bank the next day.

Also, don't forget if your bank does let you transfer the full amount you will need to remember to take your card security reader to set up a new payee if your bank security mandates it. (Another thing I forgot!)

Pay some of it on your credit card as a deposit. Then if they go bust in the interim you can claim the rest back using Section 75

EDIT: Actually this only covers up to £30k. There is a bit about purchases up to £60k but you'd need to take out finance with the dealer to take advantage. Nothing to stop you doing that and then cancelling the agreement after taking delivery and paying off in full.

Pay some of it on your credit card as a deposit. Then if they go bust in the interim you can claim the rest back using Section 75

EDIT: Actually this only covers up to £30k. There is a bit about purchases up to £60k but you'd need to take out finance with the dealer to take advantage. Nothing to stop you doing that and then cancelling the agreement after taking delivery and paying off in full.
You will need to pay at least £100 on two credit cards so you are protected to £60K as the limit is £30k per card.

Goss

I’m definitely with you on that one. I know it’s unlikely the company will go broke within the 48 hrs but it seems an unnecessary risk. In these days of internet banking why can’t the dealer check their account on the day with you present to check the money has dropped and then hand the keys over, much like a house purchase.

I paid in two installments to a dealer. Lloyds cleared £25K on phone app with no problems. This was back in June.

Paid small deposit then balance in dealership on day via debit card

I recently sold my T5.1, the buyer had received photos and reg number prior to viewing, they also arranged insurance so could test drive. We decided on a socially distanced test drive where I drove my car and they followed in the Cali. The buyer then transferred the money in full to me using a CHAPS payment which was done by phone call to their bank. The money was in my account in 30 mins (this was a slightly nerve racking time for the buyer). I the transferred ownership of the Cali via the DVLA website and the new owner taxed it, again via the DVLA website then they drove off into the sunset. It was all very easy and everything went smoothly.
It is a scary thing to do, to turn up at a strangers house and part with thousands of pounds but call in advance and speak on the phone, don’t just message, that way you will get a good idea what the seller is like. If you don’t like them or something doesn’t feel right move on, there will always be another California.
Good luck :thumb

We decided on a socially distanced test drive where I drove my car and they followed in the Cali.

That was a risky decision, surely the Cali is bigger enough to socially distance in, with windows open. Certainly wouldn’t have a leg to stand on regarding insurance should they drive off in it :Nailbiting

That was a risky decision, surely the Cali is bigger enough to socially distance in, with windows open. Certainly wouldn’t have a leg to stand on regarding insurance should they drive off in it :Nailbiting
They were a family of four, I wouldn’t fit. They gave me the keys for their car whilst we were on the test drive. I was happy, I trusted them.

Back