Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to buy a used Cali safely

The dealership I’m using for my forthcoming brand new Cali apparently wants full payment of over £65k 48 hours prior to collection. In these uncertain times I’m a little concerned about that. It’s unlikely, but if they ceased trading between payment and vehicle collection, I’d be totally exposed. I have requested that they accept a CHAPS payment on the day of collection which is what I did when collecting a new Mercedes. I await their response. Anybody on this forum had this issue?
Spoke with my dealership today and they are very happy to do the transaction on the day I pick the Cali up :)
On a different note, we did discuss the handover process under Covid rules. They advised that whereas in the past they would spend quite a time going through everything with the customer, they are currently not allowed to sit in the van once it’s been ‘sanitised’ for the customer.
So in preparation I’m trying to learn as much as I can from this forum and from ‘tutorials’ such as those by California Chris (you’ll find him on YouTube).
On the day I will take my handover checklist and go through as much as I can before leaving the dealership.

They advised that whereas in the past they would spend quite a time going through everything with the customer, they are currently not allowed to sit in the van once it’s been ‘sanitised’ for the customer.
They probably like the new system, hand you the keys in a plastic
bag on the end of a long shovel and say - cheerio - thanks for your
business.

Hope it all goes well.

We just bought our first used California yesterday - so exciting! Agree with a lot of the above on payments, test drives, DVLA, tax, insurance etc
One extra thing we did was do a dummy payment to the seller for £1 from two accounts. This means when you go to transfer thousands you know it is going to the right person and also the bank have a live payee set up and will let it through. Two accounts due to the £25k limit on internet banking.
I didn’t want to be waiting around for monies to clear as had a 350 mile journey to start.

Paid small deposit when configurating then the remainder about 10 mins before I drove away from Vw in it. Used the card machine.
had to call the bank and they gave me a 15 minute window to make the payment.
I wouldn’t pay 2 days prior. There and then like you would with a pint of milk :thumb

They were a family of four, I wouldn’t fit. They gave me the keys for their car whilst we were on the test drive. I was happy, I trusted them.
Recall a local case where similar events took place but as the car left for security wasn't worth much it was left and they never came back from the test drive.

Recall a local case where similar events took place but as the car left for security wasn't worth much it was left and they never came back from the test drive.
The keys they left with me were for a 17 year old VW Polo with 170000 miles on the clock. There was no way they were leaving that behind.

The keys they left with me were for a 17 year old VW Polo with 170000 miles on the clock. There was no way they were leaving that behind.
Would have been a good swap, polo for a Cali ;)

A few years ago there was a similar incident near me, turned out the car keys and car were stolen an hour earlier, the guy never saw his high end BMW again.

We bought ours privately recently and paid with a bankers draft at the sellers request. Worked well.

When buying second hand, would you get a anyone to check the van out (even if still in warranty) such as the RAC or equivalent? Also are there recommended questions or parts to check?

RAC or AA check to avoid for any potential faults, in warranty or not. They should also be capable of checking Cali specific fittings.

RAC or AA check to avoid for any potential faults, in warranty or not. They should also be capable of checking Cali specific fittings.
We used AA and they did a great job / report. Gave us the confidence to buy from a private seller

Carry out HPI / History check / mot check (if applicable). Get sellers name + address & then check sellers identity on something like 192.com:

The bank can do the transfer you are with the seller, so just ensure that you collect it within normal banking hours. Seller than then check with their bank directly (or check balance on banking app).

Worth remembering that the seller is also trusting you so they should be asking you to prove your identity etc as well, so don't be offended if they ask you questions.
Thank you

I recently travelled 250 miles by train to collect our Cali. I had trouble with my bank limiting the amount to be sent per day. I rang them and was told the only way was via CHAPS which needed to be done in a branch and was subject to a £23 transaction fee. Oh, and the bank would be closing in 5 minutes.

I had to stay out overnight (luckily my parents lived nearby) and had to go into the bank the next day.

Also, don't forget if your bank does let you transfer the full amount you will need to remember to take your card security reader to set up a new payee if your bank security mandates it. (Another thing I forgot!)
Thank you

I recently sold my T5.1, the buyer had received photos and reg number prior to viewing, they also arranged insurance so could test drive. We decided on a socially distanced test drive where I drove my car and they followed in the Cali. The buyer then transferred the money in full to me using a CHAPS payment which was done by phone call to their bank. The money was in my account in 30 mins (this was a slightly nerve racking time for the buyer). I the transferred ownership of the Cali via the DVLA website and the new owner taxed it, again via the DVLA website then they drove off into the sunset. It was all very easy and everything went smoothly.
It is a scary thing to do, to turn up at a strangers house and part with thousands of pounds but call in advance and speak on the phone, don’t just message, that way you will get a good idea what the seller is like. If you don’t like them or something doesn’t feel right move on, there will always be another California.
Good luck :thumb
Thank you

Back