Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How did you pay for your Cali?

No, I don't want to know about your finances, but how did you pay such a large sum of money in one go? My bank allows me to pay up to £20k a day online but can only suggest I pay over two days if the amount is more than this.
I'm sure it would be easy enough paying to a dealer but how do I pay nearly £30k to a private seller in one go?
Alan

I'm glad you asked as my dad was asking my advice on this at the weekend as he picks his cali up in a fortnight & will a be private purchase.

I paid for our beach with debit card no problems but the people buying our Caravelle split the money between 2 bank accounts, logged into our WiFi and did 2 separate payments. It felt a very long hour waiting for one of the payments to arrive into our account!

I suggested my dad make an online payment the day before to make sure it has cleared before travelling but that's also a bit nerve-wracking transferring over such a large sum without driving off with the vehicle straight away!

Alan
I think the faster payment limit is £100,000, although some participating banks have lower limits depending on who they are and the type of account you have.

Yes I agree. We have a number of different accounts managed online (for personal and business use). They have different limits on the amount that can be transferred. Some allow us to set up CHAPs payments online others don't. Some require a pause between setting up a new recipient before you can transfer money (usually an hour or so) for other accounts we can pay a new recipient immediately.
The limits on amounts keep changing - presumably based on the bank's view of risk so it is best to check!

This is what actually happened:
I had two 'webchats' and a telephone call with my bank, the latter telling me that all was arranged and there would be no need for CHAPS as I have informed them beforehand, just take my debit card. So, having found the Cali I wanted, I went to the bank.

I spoke to the cashier and she told me I could set up the seller as a payee and complete the purchase using online banking, and if I went home and got my card reader it would be easier. I explained that my home is over 250 miles away and this was the fourth way of making the payment I had been told about and it was getting too much.

I was then referred to the man on the enquiry desk. Fortunately, the seller had an account at the branch. Therefore, said the man on the enquiry desk, the sale could be done as an encashment. Yet another way of paying ( I won't count Banker's Draft as he only mentioned it in passing.) So, using my debit card, and passport as identification, the transfer was made.

Anyway, and I'm sure you all remember this feeling, it was all forgotten as I drove the Cali home.

Debit card for the lot in one go my biggest card payment ever £45K, it was too easy, It is the text I got which was the most frightening telling me what I had just paid

my biggest card payment ever £45K,
Cali's are expensive! Passed an Audi showroom on the way home today, brand new fancy sports cars on the forecourt, the most expensive was about £10k less than what our Cali cost :eek:

How about transferring the money to credit card ?

and then paying the dealer via that credit card ?

Has anyone done that? then you'd get the credit card protection in case of problem (e.g. wrong colour upholstery)

Has anyone done that? then you'd get the credit card protection in case of problem (e.g. wrong colour upholstery)

You would need a card with a very big limit to purchase a Cali.
I doubt any credit card provider would offer you a limit of say anywhere near £60k+ to buy a California.

I paid for mine on the day across 3 debit cards.
Biggest shop purchase I’ve ever done :eek:

You would need a card with a very big limit to purchase a Cali.
I doubt any credit card provider would offer you a limit of say anywhere near £60k+ to buy a California.

I paid for mine on the day across 3 debit cards.
Biggest shop purchase I’ve ever done :eek:

my thinking was to transfer from my bank account to the credit card account.....so then would have a positive credit balance ....so the limit is irrelevant....

And the 2-3% charge to pay by credit card? Would add up to a significant number on a new Cali.
I may be wrong but I don't think the fact that you have a positive balance on your card account will make any difference to the dealer

my thinking was to transfer from my bank account to the credit card account.....so then would have a positive credit balance ....so the limit is irrelevant....

You wouldn’t be able to do it.
It would flag up a fraud tag, disabling the card.

S

Some dealers now ask for payment via online banking, I think they must get charged even on debit cards; so I don’t think they would be happy paying 2 - 3% of the cost of a Cali buying on a credit card.

However, you could try paying the holding deposit via credit card; I think that would then give the protection.

you only need to spend £100 (corrected) on the credit card to gain the protection. Credit card fees are now banned.

Last edited:
you only need to spend £1 on the credit card to gain the protection. Credit card fees are now banned.

Credit card and debit cards now both offer the same protections.

you only need to spend £1 on the credit card to gain the protection. Credit card fees are now banned.

Section 75 you need to spend £100+ to get protection as this is what we did as we paid the deposit on credit card and the balance on debit card.

Section 75 you need to spend £100+ to get protection as this is what we did as we paid the deposit on credit card and the balance on debit card.
Yea, that’s what I meant to type.
In our case I paid our deposit by card, then arranged finance through VW to get a further discount and free service plan.
No dramas on collection.
Paid it off month 3 after all concerned had received their commissions.
Paid off the balance in 3 chunks as the transfer limit seems to be 20k per day max.

Last edited:
Depending on which bank you are with, the limit is now £25k for an online transfer as I found out when I purchased mine from a private seller. I transferred £20k and then made a call to the bank, talked through the remainder of the requirement and after a further discussion with the fraud dept, the rest was sanctioned there and then.

Each bank may be different, however i had to give them 30 minutes notice for a BACS transfer, and the transaction had to be carried out during this window. If you call them and tell them its going to happen then it shouldn't be a problem.

2011 paid for my cali on debit card.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You are all wrong I am afraid, credit card protection (section 75) only covers items under £30,000 so a new California would not get any cover at all.

i am buying my daughter a vw up the dealer wants a bank transfer as they don"t accept debit cards.

If doing a bank transfer for a significant sum, I always send a small amount first and then ring the recipient to check they have received it. When that is confirmed I then send the rest.
If you mistype any one the numbers it is very hard to get it back from the person who received it in error. The banks can be less than helpful.

Back