Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to get the tambour roof shutter open...

It gets easier with use, opening the sliding door helps equalise the pressure and allows the roof to raise / lower more easily
It’s the last bit of securing the clamps that are the issue for now. Added to the fear of pinching the canvas is the force required to get the roof low enough to clamp it home. Practice and use I guess will both help.

Its definitely a tight squeeze up there & I cant see how an internal Isotop fits even taking out the front section piece.
The fastening buckles are stiff.
Im finding I have to pull the handle hanging all my weight on it.
Hopefully the knack will become 2nd nature.
Finally sussed the auxillary heater.
Just the awning & stowed away table & chairs to check now.
Its endless & think Im missing my service record, & have found a strap in the cutlery drawer not sure what its for?!
Service Record is purely electronic (no physical book) anymore.
make sure you get and keep all paperwork from the dealer, I had a nightmare getting my dealer to supply me with warranty/ service records

It’s the last bit of securing the clamps that are the issue for now. Added to the fear of pinching the canvas is the force required to get the roof low enough to clamp it home. Practice and use I guess will both help.
The roof securing buckles have a cam action, pull roof down ensuring the bellows are tucked behind the webbing extension both sides, give the roof a little tug downwards, then put the front end of the securing buckle forward over the hook before pulling down the buckle, initially the buckles are stiff and don’t want to cooperate but practice and use makes it easier

Service Record is purely electronic (no physical book) anymore.
make sure you get and keep all paperwork from the dealer, I had a nightmare getting my dealer to supply me with warranty/ service records
That’s where I’m at - received 3 reminders for completing the VW questionnaire - but still no final OTR documentation, extended warranty paperwork, or any noise about what service packages are confirmed as available. I don’t mind the delay with Covid plus me having a sick dog - but lay off the constant reminders for feedback when we haven’t completed handover yet...:headbang

That’s where I’m at - received 3 reminders for completing the VW questionnaire - but still no final OTR documentation, extended warranty paperwork, or any noise about what service packages are confirmed as available. I don’t mind the delay with Covid plus me having a sick dog - but lay off the constant reminders for feedback when we haven’t completed handover yet...:headbang
Hand over is not complete until you have all the documents

@Jenny H - is the strap in the cutlery drawer the one for the table (when it’s along the seats to make a larger kitchen work surface)?
Ah ha thanks Alison yes indeed it was the strap in the cutlery drawer which Ive removed as no way Im going to be storing that much cutlery - thank you

Hand over is not complete until you have all the documents
I now have copies confirming extended warranty and service plan.
Still awaiting final invoice with all the costs...
but progress has been made...

Did this thread get resolved?
What was the outcome? was it user error
or other?

If we have a solid outcome i can then pin it
and lockdown the thread, rather than waffle on
and on.
I've been reading and expecting to see the outcome, didn't AlisonF go back to the dealer on Monday?

I've been reading and expecting to see the outcome, didn't AlisonF go back to the dealer on Monday?
AlisonF managed to open it eventually. Don't know if she opened and was able to close the roof and hatch though.

Didn’t make it to dealer.
Has been wet all week so not attempted to open roof. But looks dry today so may have a go.
As mentioned above the hatch was opened on Sunday. And I have now also received most of the paperwork I was missing.

No progress today. Been checking a few others things (see separate threads) and the tambour won’t open again as it’s cold. Will have to wait for another day.

So today, using the heater to warn things again, I got the hatch open and the roof up. All good. Hopefully as others have said the tambour will slide easier over time.

So today, using the heater to warn things again, I got the hatch open and the roof up. All good. Hopefully as others have said the tambour will slide easier over time.
Must be a relief that all is well and nothing is faulty. Does it slide any easier with the roof raised? Or still slightly stiff? Just curious if the bulk of the canvas was playing any part in the problem at all?

Must be a relief that all is well and nothing is faulty. Does it slide any easier with the roof raised? Or still slightly stiff? Just curious if the bulk of the canvas was playing any part in the problem at all?
I didn’t try closing it when roof was raised.

Mine was also very hard to open, more force than I would have expected. I don't think it had been opened since it was installed - rather like the sliding window, which needed WD40. PDI?

Mine was also very hard to open, more force than I would have expected. I don't think it had been opened since it was installed - rather like the sliding window, which needed WD40. PDI?
There is No PDI on the Camping side of things, only the mechanical side of the vehicle, unfortunately.

California Chris' new video demonstrating his method of closing the manual roof.
This Coast has the front opening bellows that was chatted about here. In particular about the additional bulk that it brings. The one in the video seems to go away without issues, which was nice to see. He also demonstrates the method of rolling the canvas away behind the clips too. Although it isn't possible to see the additional piece of protecting webbing that others have mentioned. Be interested in hearing others comment about his chosen method of pulling each side down individually? I also noted the position of the zips too.

Hi Stuart

that’s pretty much what I do, other than I tend to stand (stoop) in the middle of the two seat to open / close the roof, facing rear of van which had the advantage of being able to see the bellows folding correctly when lowering the roof and tuck away as needed.

IMO trying to open / close the roof while seated will hurt your back

if you don’t have the pano roof the front bellows folding hinge will be slightly different (longer) than the one in the vid.

the additional webbing can be seen early on in the vid, if you look to the left of the buckle Chris undoes first you can see the end of a silver pin this pin is the pivot for the additional protection webbing.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart

that’s pretty much what I do, other than I tend to stand (stoop) in the middle of the two seat to open / close the roof, facing rear of van which had the advantage of being able to see the bellows folding correctly when lowering the roof and tuck away as needed.

IMO trying to open / close the roof while seated will hurt your back

if you don’t have the pano roof the front bellows folding hinge will be slightly different (longer) than the one in the vid.

the additional webbing can be seen early on in the bid, if you look to the left of the buckle Chris undoes first you can see the end of a silver pin this pin is the pivot for the additional protection webbing.
That's really useful - thank you. Just trying to learn as much as possible during the waiting period !!

That's really useful - thank you. Just trying to learn as much as possible during the waiting period !!
NB Stu@rt

no harm in being prepared, if there is anything specific you want to ask, ask.

initially to roof is stiff as are the buckles and the tambour hatch (although not in Chris’s vid) don’t worry just work the buckles to their full extent and put the roof up and down a few times :cheers

dare I ask if you’ve got a delivery date yet ?

Call it a roof opener, not a shutter, and it will cooperate!

NB Stu@rt

no harm in being prepared, if there is anything specific you want to ask, ask.

initially to roof is stiff as are the buckles and the tambour hatch (although not in Chris’s vid) don’t worry just work the buckles to their full extent and put the roof up and down a few times :cheers

dare I ask if you’ve got a delivery date yet ?
Thanks, really appreciate that. Just this week the numerous provisional dates moved to a confirmed May 17th, so progress.....I think!

California Chris' new video demonstrating his method of closing the manual roof.
This Coast has the front opening bellows that was chatted about here. In particular about the additional bulk that it brings. The one in the video seems to go away without issues, which was nice to see. He also demonstrates the method of rolling the canvas away behind the clips too. Although it isn't possible to see the additional piece of protecting webbing that others have mentioned. Be interested in hearing others comment about his chosen method of pulling each side down individually? I also noted the position of the zips too.
Thanks Stuart thats been really helpful - I havent been either doing one side at a time or rolling the canvas in so Im hoping it makes it all slightly easier now when I do.
Fingers crossed your Coast will be winging its way very soon - you will be an expert by then!!

Back