Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sliding shutter to roof space

Paul Onions

Paul Onions

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi everyone,

When driving along we have found the sliding shutter to the roof space is gradually working its way open. Is this common and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

Thanks in advance for your advice...

Common and you will find loads of old posts. I used cut down pad that its for furnture feet to protect wooden floor (felt pad with sticky on one side)

Last edited:
Thank you both. I will take a look. Van is back at garage for a lock issue at present though so I will have to wait. Out of curiosity was anyone also as surprised as me to find there is no heated rear window?

I still love my van even though it has only been with me for 2 days since I first picked it up a week ago because the garage had it back for the aforementioned lock issue...

Thank you both. I will take a look. Van is back at garage for a lock issue at present though so I will have to wait. Out of curiosity was anyone also as surprised as me to find there is no heated rear window?

I still love my van even though it has only been with me for 2 days since I first picked it up a week ago because the garage had it back for the aforementioned lock issue...
It was an accessory, but you might have a Double-glazed rear window! You cannot have both.

Give me the double glazing any time. I sleep with my head that end. Makes a huge difference.

Fogging is not a problem with that window but even if it was then 5 minutes with the heating on and it would go.

Wow, double glazing... Excellent. Thanks again for the knowledge.

Give me the double glazing any time. I sleep with my head that end. Makes a huge difference.

Fogging is not a problem with that window but even if it was then 5 minutes with the heating on and it would go.

It is hard to keep track of VW California Options as many on this Forum have commented. Curiously the current Ocean Specifications "Standard Features" on VW UK website state:
  • Power latching tailgate with double-glazed heated window, wash-wipe and LED spotlight
https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/range/camper-vans-t6/california-ocean/specification

When the one I have ordered arrives in the next few weeks I will let you know what turns up!

Last edited:
I was suprised. But the double glazing stops it fogging up, so no need.
Doesn't get rid of ice on the outside if you forget to put the Diesel Heater on before leaving and I also wanted a rear wiper.
Personally cannot see the point of Double Glazing. I've never had a problem with internal condensation. Have had a problem getting a rear window glass replaced on a previous vehicle and I very much doubt if a Double Glazed Rear Window is on many garage or windscreen company inventories.
If it's cold enough to user the heater then Double Glazing won't have much additional effect. I know, I know - Global Warming etc: etc: