Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to Update your Volkswagen Sat Nav System

I tried this to update mine and it failed to apply the maps at 93%. To be honest, I’ve not tried it recently, so they may have fixed it, but I’d recommend making backups just in case.

I use my phone using CarPlay most of the time (well, all of the time now) so I’m not too bothered. One of things I keep meaning to get around to, but if you rely on VW Nav just be careful.

Prompted by this post, I tried again and it failed....again....with the error message 'Error during extraction of archive file'.

Quick search on google and now sorted it. Sat-Nav now working as before, but with updated maps.

Just updated our 2016 Satnav (V4) using California Chris Youtube tutorial I had tried many times before using VW with no joy It now works a treat. (for info no charge for upgrade)

Might be of use to someone but I had a nightmare doing mine but got there in the end.

Was using an old MacBook Air which may have been part of the problem but may have just been using a Mac.

Problem was that Discovercare couldn’t see the SD card so I had to manually download the zip file.

I then used Keka to unzip as recommended and the trick was to then delete all files on the SD card and use a free programme called cleanmydrive2 to remove hidden files.

I had other issues probably specific to me as there is no way my Mac would download the zip files. In the end and I’m gobsmacked this worked I used my iPhone, saved almost 15gb zip file to iCloud then extracted from iCloud to my computer and copied to the SD card.

Mike

VW server issues I believe, doesn't go 'online' and therefor doesn't see the SD card... Had to download and manually update the card. Didn't have any issues on my MBP with download and save though...

VW server issues I believe, doesn't go 'online' and therefor doesn't see the SD card... Had to download and manually update the card. Didn't have any issues on my MBP with download and save though...

That’s bang on. Oddly it did see it once and promptly doing the backup as per the programme corrupted my original data so no backup. Very relieved to sort it

Mike

Updated my dad's VW T6 Multivan Discover Media (Gen 2) about 4 times now without any problems so far.
Just choose the right navigation device in DiscoverCare, choose the type of map you need, plug in the original SD-card, choose backup of course, and let it run for a couple of hours if you take Western Europe (about 14GB).

If DiscoverCare tells you it has no connection to the internet, just wait a couple of days untill the new maps are online, then it works like a charm.

Updated his navigation the 6th of january with 20/21 maps. Works like a charm.
All of this on the plain old simple Windows 10 machine.

Hi, my VW T6 do not have GPS Nav. Is it posible update the software in the same way?

Thanks and excuse my very bad englsih.

Hi, my VW T6 do not have GPS Nav. Is it posible update the software in the same way?

Thanks and excuse my very bad englsih.
The software (firmware) on your radio CD player cannot be updated yourself in the same way. The above only updates the map. Also you can’t update the vehicle software but you can make adjustments to some settings (like enabling self locking) using vcds on a laptop connected to the obd port or a cheap Carista dongle and an app.

The software (firmware) on your radio CD player cannot be updated yourself in the same way. The above only updates the map. Also you can’t update the vehicle software but you can make adjustments to some settings (like enabling self locking) using vcds on a laptop connected to the obd port or a cheap Carista dongle and an app.
OK, Thanks.

Have there been any updates lately...?
Last time I tried updating the Nav was about 6 months ago...

Opps I haven't done mine at all.

I’ve just driven along the new section of the A14. For 21 miles the sat nav repeatedly told me to “please make a U-turn (if possible).”

Obviously new road data is a large part the update :happy, but what else is likely to be included. Would camera locations be part of this too?

Oh I see. Only ask because it does currently 'bong' (or is it a 'beep'?) whenever cameras show up along the route. Id wondered where its getting this info from.

The last bong I had was in Uni in 1987 and our VW Discover Media Nav is silent apart from the announcements. Are you sure it's not your phone or a dashcam making the noise. Updates should also change the given speed limits if they are to be believed.

The last bong I had was in Uni in 1987 and our VW Discover Media Nav is silent apart from the announcements. Are you sure it's not your phone or a dashcam making the noise. Updates should also change the given speed limits if they are to be believed.

Oh gawd..I really dont know now....picked up my first Cali at the beginning of the month spent 2 weeks with it (and not a lot of use) before being told to 'stay at home'..so now I come to think of it...its mostly been google maps / android auto that I've been using for route guidance...lol....does that make a sound then?

Ha! Sorry. Newbie here :D

Oh gawd..I really dont know now....picked up my first Cali at the beginning of the month spent 2 weeks with it (and not a lot of use) before being told to 'stay at home'..so now I come to think of it...its mostly been google maps / android auto that I've been using for route guidance...lol....does that make a sound then?

Ha! Sorry. Newbie here :D
Probably.
Many European countries make it illegal to have Speed Camera location or detection in/on the vehicle so the VW SatNav just shows the speed limits. Via a 3rd Party you can have Speed Camera Location installed but it could be problematic.
Many other SatNavs might show Speed Cameras etc: and give an audio prompt but automatically disable this when you cross to Europe and instead just warn you you are heading towards an Accident Black Spot or something like that.

Probably.
Many European countries make it illegal to have Speed Camera location or detection in/on the vehicle so the VW SatNav just shows the speed limits. Via a 3rd Party you can have Speed Camera Location installed but it could be problematic.

Jeeez, you cant have any help these days. They stick a thousand signs by the sides of the road and expect you to read the lot, keep within speed limits, while allowing you to concentrate with a wobbly finger on a sodding touchscreen infotainment system all at the sametime. A little prompt now and then to keep you straight is a godsend I'd say in these busier driving times. Im no speed demon but it doesnt take much to get flashed. IMO of course. :p

Back