Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to update sat nav to take french maps

M

MidgleyVW

VIP Member
Im going to France and wondered if anyone can tell me how to update the sat nav in the california ?
Thanks

Make sure you also take a map for when the sat nav spits its dummy out :D

As far as I know the sat nav in the California should come with Western Europe maps already installed.

Thanks but how do I do it
I cant seem to find the way to get on to them ?
I am thinking of taking a tom tom too
Thanks Ray

I don't have my California, yet, but surely the Manual tells you and if you do not have that then there is a downloadable file in the Downloads section under brochures.
Page 63 onwards in the downloaded file.

MidgleyVW said:
Thanks but how do I do it
I cant seem to find the way to get on to them ?
I am thinking of taking a tom tom too
Thanks Ray

When you input a destination start at the top level and change the country to France.

we have a kenwood (so garmin satnav) in the cali and we take a portable tomtom. enough said?

if its a kenwood (hence garmin) it can be done but we found it to be a right royal pain. PM me if it is and you are struggling

France maps are already on the vw units as stated by Stu. don't need to download anything.

We haven't updated our Satnav, but use 'Navmii' on our iPad. It's an app, that doesn't require wifi of 3G. Very good.

image.jpeg
Im going to France and wondered if anyone can tell me how to update the sat nav in the california ?
Thanks
Western Europe is preinstalled , if it is a 510 you have.
The maps are updated every year
You should be given the disc with the van.
The latest version is V13,

we have a kenwood (so garmin satnav) in the cali and we take a portable tomtom. enough said?

if its a kenwood (hence garmin) it can be done but we found it to be a right royal pain. PM me if it is and you are struggling
I have a Range Rover and toured Italy with a tent last year. The inbuilt sat nav is so terrible We took a Tom Tom and paper maps and ended up using google maps to be sure. So get a data package and have google as backup. We completely trusted her. Now got a Cali having adored the simplicity on site.

Hi Matt; my complaint is about the Land Rover. Yet to judge the Cali. Sorry for confusion.
I have the RNS 510 in my California and the SatNav has taken me to Nordkapp in Norway and the Italian Riviera via Germany, Switzerland and France on the return. Through Florence and Paris and other big cities without a hiccup. I've updated it twice using the VW DVD without a problem. Normally very good at navigating around traffic incidents etc, unless they have just happened.
I've got a POI list of over 32,000 European Campsites and it has always got me to the front door.

I have a Range Rover and toured Italy with a tent last year. The inbuilt sat nav is so terrible We took a Tom Tom and paper maps and ended up using google maps to be sure. So get a data package and have google as backup. We completely trusted her. Now got a Cali having adored the simplicity on site.

My friend works for JLR, It seems the satnav is not popular with the customers ;)

WelshGas .What's a POI list of over 32,000 European Campsites ? Does this show sites on the 510 ? We're going over to Merribel in 2 weeks so would be handy . Thanks

Last edited:
I have the RNS 510 in my California and the SatNav has taken me to Nordkapp in Norway and the Italian Riviera via Germany, Switzerland and France on the return. Through Florence and Paris and other big cities without a hiccup. I've updated it twice using the VW DVD without a problem. Normally very good at navigating around traffic incidents etc, unless they have just happened.
I've got a POI list of over 32,000 European Campsites and it has always got me to the front door.
Can i ask how you found the list of 32k campsites? please share.