Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I’ve just looked at my leisure battery charger—advice needed!

D

dant4calicoach

Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi gang!

So, the van is having a habitation check done tomorrow. Naturally, I wanted to have a nosey at stuff in advance, so I took off the panel to check the state of the battery charger.

I found a rather new looking thing, but I’m worried it’s not suitable for the van? Here are some photos:

51C5B139-B54E-4C9A-B58B-646626D36033.jpeg4B2DBF03-C3C1-4F01-8C56-45BE8EE8C5BC.jpeg3687CB16-FE6F-4A30-B8B1-8F4F0200F953.jpeg

Now, the battery charges off the 240v (it’s noisy with the fans when first plugged in, but charges fine and goes quiet) and everything shows up fine on the overhead panel on the front (it shows charge, voltage etc). I’ve ID’d the charger as this one: https://electroquestuk.com/product/abc1220-fully-automatic-marine-leisure-battery-charger-12v-20a/

The previous owner serviced and built canal boats for a living, so maybe it’s used for those usually, and he crossed that knowledge over to the van?

Anyway, all advice gratefully accepted on whether I should carry on using it or condemn the electrics! As I say, everything on the van works fine.

Thanks!

I have that same charger on my Syncro. Travelvolts off the T4 forum sold them. Perfectly good charger but quite noisy though. It should be perfectly suitable but just needs cleaning by the looks of it. All that grime won't help.

I upgraded my exclusive to the Fraron charger. There's dual output so you can connect the starter battery too. There's a few more threads on here about the FraRon and the original Westfalia unit going up in smoke.

Last edited:
I have that same charger on my Syncro. Travelvolts off the T4 forum sold them. Perfectly good charger but quite noisy though. It should be perfectly suitable but just needs cleaning by the looks of it. All that grime won't help.
Amazing, thanks Matt! It’s great to hear that you’ve got the same one. And, yeah, it needs a good clean in there. I’m a bit embarrassed now!

Amazing, thanks Matt! It’s great to hear that you’ve got the same one. And, yeah, it needs a good clean in there. I’m a bit embarrassed now!
Don't be embarrassed. It's amazing how much dirt and much collects under there. Mine was mining when I first opened it up. I was going to show a photo of where my charger but the wiring I've done is embarrassing (was done in a hurry for holiday last year). Still need to get back and sort it proper :)

Back