Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I bought a new Cali!

S

StevenZhang

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hi everyone! Just bought a new Cali Ocean last week! Love it so much! Planning to buy some accessories for it. Top cover, travel toilet, carpets, and some storage box in the wardrobe and drawers. Anything else I need to buy?

:welcome we use ceramic electric heater when on hook up

Welcome!
Kind of a external front cover?
To buy: Gas. And then hit the road
Happy camping!

We bought levelling ramps and have used them once in about 10 camping trips. They don’t take up much room. Useful on a sloping site, so you can get the van level. I also bought a small spirit level, though ive also got a app on my phone that does the same thing. Do you need a bike rack? We’ve bought a roof bungee but haven’t used it. Also bought some black carpets, as the grey ones get dirty. We recently bought a ladder for accessing the upstairs bed - not essential but I find it easier to get into the upstairs bed. One of the most useful things we have bought is a small foldable step. It’s only about 12 inches high but very useful for accessing the outside of the elevated roof, especially if you have a thermal topper. I also use it for mounting the bikes on the rack and for cleaning the top of the van. We’ve also bought some Duvalay combined mattress and sleeping bags, which add extra comfort. Also, a Ridge Monkey for doing the cooking.

Still on my “to get” list are some seat covers. I don’t understand why the the standard spec comes light grey carpets and light grey seat trims.

Last edited:
We’ve bought a roof bungee but haven’t used it.
Ouch, that hurts to read...here's hoping we will never read a "wish I had" post. Hints: never close the roof without a visual inspection, and if it's windy, inspect visually at least twice.

We bought levelling ramps and have used them once in about 10 camping trips. They don’t take up much room. Useful on a sloping site, so you can get the van level. I also bought a small spirit level, though ive also got a app on my phone that does the same thing. Do you need a bike rack? We’ve bought a roof bungee but haven’t used it. Also bought some black carpets, as the grey ones get dirty. We recently bought a ladder for accessing the upstairs bed - not essential but I find it easier to get into the upstairs bed. One of the most useful things we have bought is a small foldable step. It’s only about 12 inches high but very useful for accessing the outside of the elevated roof, especially if you have a thermal topper. I also use it for mounting the bikes on the rack and for cleaning the top of the van. We’ve also bought some Duvalay combined mattress and sleeping bags, which add extra comfort. Also, a Ridge Monkey for doing the cooking.

Still on my “to get” list are some seat covers. I don’t understand why the the standard spec comes light grey carpets and light grey seat trims.
We use the same step to access the roof bed from the turned drivers seat and when fitting the topper etc.
Our Brandrup second skin rear seat cover was getting somewhat grubby from the various drips and scuffs incurred on a recent extended continental trip. The fitted standard seat was pristine underneath and a wool wash at 30 deg. brought the seat cover up like new. Dried in a small bedroom with our dehumidifier on dry function, happy days.

Ouch, that hurts to read...here's hoping we will never read a "wish I had" post. Hints: never close the roof without a visual inspection, and if it's windy, inspect visually at least twice.
I’m in same boat - I’ve a MY19 t6, do the latest ones still need roof bungee? I seem to half recall reading that the latest bellows have something in the construction that helps them contract when lowering? Or did I imagine this?

I’m in same boat - I’ve a MY19 t6, do the latest ones still need roof bungee? I seem to half recall reading that the latest bellows have something in the construction that helps them contract when lowering? Or did I imagine this?
You can still trap the canvas!! I have just purchased the bungee and need to get it fitted pronto!

Thank you so much for sharing your experience!

Welcome.
Depending on the type of camping you are going to do, maybe an electric hob and hotplate for when on hook-up and a gas or Trangia type stove for cooking when wild camping.

What is the roof bungee for please?
Its an elasticated cord that goes around the outside of the roof bellows. It pulls the canvas inwards when you lower the roof and away from external mechanisms.

That was all interesting stuff as we too are new returners to the VW campervan world.
we used to take the kids all sorts of places in our previous vehicles (and at inappropriate times of year) so we thought we were pretty experienced but it turns out we’veforgotten everything we had learnt.
Going to do a shakedown trip in the spring and sort it all.
Interested in the external roof wraps and mattress toppers so would appreciate any wise words.
yes I have the roof bungee !!

Hi everyone! Just bought a new Cali Ocean last week! Love it so much! Planning to buy some accessories for it. Top cover, travel toilet, carpets, and some storage box in the wardrobe and drawers. Anything else I need to buy?
We bought a fold up ladder from Maxcamp but we bought in Germany, Brandrup pretty good fo extras. Happy camping