Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Essential accessories for a noob?

I do not use my water tank for drinking but there are many good reasons for filling it. One is that 30kg hardly makes a dent in the carrying capacity of a Cali.

Another is you will always find a need for water at the least most convenient time, normally late at night when you've just spilt something.

Sometimes it is just not convenient to cart all the dirty dishes over to the washing up area, if indeed you have one for one of the delights of the Cali is to bugger off somewhere where there is nothing and no one.

Sometimes you may just want to rinse some clothes out, in which case the convenience of a tap and sink is priceless,

For drinking I carry my own, but for anything else the tank is filled before every journey and to sterilise is ease itself, just drain, flush, fill and pop in a milton tab.

Thanks Cali friends for your input. We're leaving shortly so have not got time to sterilise it today, but will get it sorted for our next trip. Amarillo, my brain does not do maths too well anymore, but in the scheme of things I don't suppose 10% would make that much difference.

I think if I was going somewhere that I did not know the site it would have been a bigger priority. We have stayed at this site on and off for the past 35yrs. From our tenting days, static caravans and now in Westley.

Is it really necessary to sterilise the water tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great point. Is it really necessary? If just for washing and washing up, why bother?
Well, if you are afraid of drinking the water from the tank, I'm not, then washing up using the water from the tank, unless all of it is boiled, would be just as bad wouldn't it?

No different to only drinking bottled water when away because of the risks of contaminated water and then eating a nice local salad which has been washed in ?????????

I sterilise once a year - only and then use it frequently thereafter.

On my last (non-Cali) camper, I never sterilised and used the water for drinking (though often for tea/coffee). Currently doing so with new Cali. Wondered why most seem to treat the fresh water system with so much distrust

Charles

Well, if you are afraid of drinking the water from the tank, I'm not, then washing up using the water from the tank, unless all of it is boiled, would be just as bad wouldn't it?

No different to only drinking bottled water when away because of the risks of contaminated water and then eating a nice local salad which has been washed in ?????????

I'd assume in practice the risk of harmful contamination being present in a closed plastic tank would be pretty low, and I certainly wouldn't be too concerned about drinking from it.

After all, for most of my life the water in our bathrooms was kept in a big tank in the attic, and we all brushed our teeth in that without obvious harm (although one time living in Norfolk a family of bats drowned themselves in the tank - we only realised when the water started to task a bit, well, bat soupy). :Depressed

How did you know what bat soup tasted like? 80

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi everyone
We pick up our Cali on Friday and are hoping to take the kids camping next week, so not a lot of time to familiarise with the new toy!
I would really appreciate any comments about what experienced owners would regard as essential accessories? I need to look into a drive away awning as there are 5 of us and we need the space, but how about other stuff that's not so obvious - carpets, various protectors etc?
All comments greatly appreciated! :)
ps. This is probably obvious but using different coloured packing cells in the wardrobe: tops, bottoms, undies, socks etc makes life a lot easier and helps keep things tidy- its also easy to see when you are about to run out of the essentials...

Wow. Why People dont use the water tank and take a microwave with them? Fill the tank , ditch the water container and ditch the microwave. You can heat beans on the hob. Cleaning the tank with some stuff is fine every couple of years in my opinion. Drink from mine all the time and so does the dog. Next its fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, gas lockers, carbon monoxide alarms and a hard hat, just in case

Wow. Why People dont use the water tank and take a microwave with them? Fill the tank , ditch the water container and ditch the microwave. You can heat beans on the hob. Cleaning the tank with some stuff is fine every couple of years in my opinion. Drink from mine all the time and so does the dog. Next its fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, gas lockers, carbon monoxide alarms and a hard hat, just in case
Yeah, but we all know yours is filled with beer! ;)