Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I have a noise

dod4luce

dod4luce

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
just had its service, mot which it passed, and two new front tyres fitted at SOUTH HEREFORD GARAGE. think it’s changed it’s name now, but you get the gist. Almost £800 spent, and I notice a chaffing noise from passenger side front wheel/tyre. It’s like you take vehicle in for routine, and it comes back broken. first decent spell of weather and I was going to go away this weekend, but they advised me not to, just in case. YET, they are asking me to bring it in, which is a ten mile drive from where I live. So I’m wondering if any of you might know the cause. I’ve had stones caught before, it doesn’t sound like my experience of a stone. I did the full lock to try and dislodge anything, but noise still there. I don’t want to drive it if it poses a danger, or if it’s gonna cause damage which they would never admit blame for. Sometimes I think dealership service stamps are a waste of space, I’d sooner trust my previous brilliant mechanic, but we all know that a vw service is what everyone trusts, well I actually don’t. They are hopeless. Take your money and give you customer care while it’s still on warranty, then they spit you out like something you’d scrape off your shoe. Might see if I can attach video of the noise. No, it won’t accept th short video. Lol

Just make sure it's not a stone or something caught in the brake disc pad and rubbing on the disc. If you lightly step on the brakes and reverse at the same time, it should dislodge it, if it is that.
South Hereford Garage is one that you don't usually get bad reports of on here, so perhaps you have been unlucky.

Just make sure it's not a stone or something caught in the brake disc pad and rubbing on the disc. If you lightly step on the brakes and reverse at the same time, it should dislodge it, if it is that.
South Hereford Garage is one that you don't usually get bad reports of on here, so perhaps you have been unlucky.
I already did the brake test and nothing dislodged, same noise. So depressing, have to cancel my weekend away, first sign of good weather too. Pity I can’t upload the video for you to hear.

If its a squelching noise, it could be the little rubber sprues you get on newly moulded tyres, if so they will wear off quickly.

It’s only from the passenger wheel. It’s not normal. Maybe they have been careless and bent something so it’s rubbing. Is there a reason I can’t post a 25 second video ? Keeps saying error

Well jack it up and spin/rotate the wheel?
It should be fairly obvious what, if anything is causing the problem.

We had a tyre damaged on a rolling road at a garage during a service, look for abrasion of the sidewall in a perfect circle, check the inside and outside tyrewalls. the garage of course denied it but there was no internal sidewall damage which you would have if it had been run flat, and no puncture repairs, and the abrasion matched the position of the side bars on their rolling road. The garage argued and in the end we felt life's too short to bother, the tyre was half worn anyway. We plan to photograph the front tyre sidewalls now before dropping the van off at the garage for servicing.

Can’t. Stuck indoors awaiting a call from vw, who I know won’t call back. Took me 3 calls to them to finally get the call back.
Waiting again, since they advised me not to go for my camping weekend yet they are ok for me to drive it to them 10 miles, I don’t feel comfortable driving it for safety and in case I cause it damage. Not cheap to fix anything on them if anything goes wrong.

We had a tyre damaged on a rolling road at a garage during a service, look for abrasion of the sidewall in a perfect circle, check the inside and outside tyrewalls. the garage of course denied it but there was no internal sidewall damage which you would have if it had been run flat, and no puncture repairs, and the abrasion matched the position of the side bars on their rolling road. The garage argued and in the end we felt life's too short to bother, the tyre was half worn anyway. We plan to photograph the front tyre sidewalls now before dropping the van off at the garage for servicing.
Garages are hard to get to take any responsibility. And I would sooner trust my usual garage Mot centre who I’ve been with for years and my whole family use and have never had any problems. But us poor suckers are tethered to VW for that little rubber service stamp.

I don’t want to be paying for a service that is clearly something VW Hereford have done or not done properly. Typical I lost my breakdown card and called to see if I was still a member, but it has expired so that’s a no no. Not having much joy, been waiting since 10am for them to call me back. Absolute joke. Watch them try to avoid taking responsibility.

Well I’m driving it to vw tomorrow. 10 miles, just hope I’m not causing any damage. They won’t come to me, so no choice. YouTube link to very short video.

Any ideas would be welcome before I take the plunge. Lol

Hope you get it sorted Very brave running a Cali with not breakdown cover
I’m renewing breakdown, had no idea it ran out! But renewing won’t cover this now. Definitely not being without breakdown cover.

+1 on this, definitely worth a try, has happened to me on a few previous vehicles..... sorry, just read you tried it already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+1 on this, definitely worth a try, has happened to me on a few previous vehicles.

Done that already. No change, but it could be wedged in. There’s no scoring to the disc. Would be an expense if both front discs had to be replaced. OUCH

Well I’m driving it to vw tomorrow. 10 miles, just hope I’m not causing any damage. They won’t come to me, so no choice. YouTube link to very short video.

Any ideas would be welcome before I take the plunge. Lol

Have you looked underneath for anything obvious? Almost sounds like you’ve a plastic bag or some debris caught in the wheel, axle or driveshaft. (Or maybe the backplate behind the disc) As @sidepod suggests, it should be pretty obvious, it’s certainly loud enough so I can see why you don’t want to drive it far.

Have you looked underneath for anything obvious? Almost sounds like you’ve a plastic bag or some debris caught in the wheel, axle or driveshaft. (Or maybe the backplate behind the disc) As @sidepod suggests, it should be pretty obvious, it’s certainly loud enough so I can see why you don’t want to drive it far.

Had a look around but couldn’t see anything. I guess I’ll find out what it is tomorrow. I’ll let you all know. I hope it’s something simple, a bag or leaf would be great! Thanks everyone for your replies anyway. Appreciated

Just jack it up & spin the wheel - should be obvious.

Hard to tell from the video but I would check:
1. sticky label still stuck to the tyre
2. object stuck in the tread
3. sticky patch of tread where its had a label previously.

any of which you could see / feel just by running your hand over the tyre whilst parked, then roll forward a foot or two & check the rest of the tyre.

Had a similar noise once on my old S-max after having new tyres fitted. The tyre fitter had doubled up on wheel weights inside the rim and they were clipping the brake calliper. I could see the shiny gouge marks on the brand new wheel weights which helped me diagnose what was happening. Annoying but quickly solved by the tyre fitter redoing the wheel balance and more carefully placing the weights.

Thanks, I’ll check in morning before I set off. I had a good look around and felt around the tyre, but I’ll check again.

Had a similar noise once on my old S-max after having new tyres fitted. The tyre fitter had doubled up on wheel weights inside the rim and they were clipping the brake calliper. I could see the shiny gouge marks on the brand new wheel weights which helped me diagnose what was happening. Annoying but quickly solved by the tyre fitter redoing the wheel balance and more carefully placing the weights.
I’ll have a look , I imagine I would be able to see that? All this extra advise is helpful before I venture over to vw and possibly look an idiot lol

It doesn’t sound like anything major to me, so I wouldn’t worry about driving your Cali (Mechanic by trade)