Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I'm in the queue!

Erbster

Erbster

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Well folks, after finding loads of useful ideas on this forum, we ordered an Ocean last month. We did not expect to be buying a camper this year, least of all a Cali. We had an 09 T5 Bilbo's conversion, which we loved. It was my daily drive and we have had some fantastic journeys in it. Anyway, it was stolen from our drive in May and the scrotes burned it. Long story short, the insurance company eventually paid up (not without a fight) and we chose a Cali to replace our Bilbos. The main reason was the roof bed; I prefer the look of the side-raising roof that Bilbos use (and it's a fibreglass panel too- corrosion free), but there's just not enough room for an adult to sleep comfortably up there. Add the huge slatted bed Cali to that spacious roof and that swung it for us.

I had lots of fun speccing the van up and ended up with this:
150ps Ocean with DSG in Blackberry (couldn't convince the wife to spend the extra on the 4motion)
ACC, multifunction wheel, Larger screen and CarPlay, front/rear parking with cameras, extra seat drawer, thermal glass, heated front window, removable towbar, awning, mudflaps.

I didn't order the comfort mattress, because we felt that an aftermarket one would be better value.

I'm planning to buy seat covers, thinner cushion for rear shelf (so it can sit on higher setting), mattress topper and liner for roof before the van arrives. I'm expecting to fit a roof box and solar panel.

I might get the van centre to fit a rear bumper protector and I'm expecting to buy the service package from the dealer too. Dealt with Michael at Droitwich (Listers) and had good service from them so far. Ordered in early August, hoping for delivery before the end of March next.

"Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so"

Very nice and a thoughtful spec. I reckon your right on the comfort mattress, threads on the issue of higher setting for rear shelf had me persuaded, post order but I didn't change things as it's not the end of the world. Probably something I can sell if I go the after market route.

Roll on the spring

Mike

do not forget you can add 5 warranty at a good price from new

Well folks, after finding loads of useful ideas on this forum, we ordered an Ocean last month. We did not expect to be buying a camper this year, least of all a Cali. We had an 09 T5 Bilbo's conversion, which we loved. It was my daily drive and we have had some fantastic journeys in it. Anyway, it was stolen from our drive in May and the scrotes burned it. Long story short, the insurance company eventually paid up (not without a fight) and we chose a Cali to replace our Bilbos. The main reason was the roof bed; I prefer the look of the side-raising roof that Bilbos use (and it's a fibreglass panel too- corrosion free), but there's just not enough room for an adult to sleep comfortably up there. Add the huge slatted bed Cali to that spacious roof and that swung it for us.

I had lots of fun speccing the van up and ended up with this:
150ps Ocean with DSG in Blackberry (couldn't convince the wife to spend the extra on the 4motion)
ACC, multifunction wheel, Larger screen and CarPlay, front/rear parking with cameras, extra seat drawer, thermal glass, heated front window, removable towbar, awning, mudflaps.

I didn't order the comfort mattress, because we felt that an aftermarket one would be better value.

I'm planning to buy seat covers, thinner cushion for rear shelf (so it can sit on higher setting), mattress topper and liner for roof before the van arrives. I'm expecting to fit a roof box and solar panel.

I might get the van centre to fit a rear bumper protector and I'm expecting to buy the service package from the dealer too. Dealt with Michael at Droitwich (Listers) and had good service from them so far. Ordered in early August, hoping for delivery before the end of March next.

Note on service package. I was going to add it when I ordered but the Salesman pointed out that the T6 is on a 20,000 Mile service interval and unless I planned to do huge mileages per year it is cheaper to pay as you go. Service package aimed at the commercial van operator rather than Cali users.

Note on service package. I was going to add it when I ordered but the Salesman pointed out that the T6 is on a 20,000 Mile service interval and unless I planned to do huge mileages per year it is cheaper to pay as you go. Service package aimed at the commercial van operator rather than Cali users.

I think a lot on this forum have purchased their Cali via VW finance to gain the deposit contribution (then paid off straight away). By taking out the finance you are then entitled to purchase a different service package. Although the price of this has increased from what it was initially, it's still good value - worth having a look at but appreciate that everyone's needs are different. (Next 4 services for £349 plus VAT)

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/offers-finance/retail-finance

Presumably expensive items such as the cambelt change would be included if the service plan was still running at the time? When is the cambelt changed on these things?

Presumably expensive items such as the cambelt change would be included if the service plan was still running at the time? When is the cambelt changed on these things?
Don't think the cam belt is included as this would be a wear and tear item.

Don't think the cam belt is included as this would be a wear and tear item.
True, though in my experience they are changed at set age/mileage rather than due to wear and tear so I thought I'd ask ;)

When is it changed then (and how much?)

No idea on t6, skoda Octavia was 4 years and £550 including the water pump (not essential but recommended).

Well done on the decision - you won't regret it. Looking forward to comparing vans, the additional purchases are well worth the money especially the roof cover which stood up to the gale force winds and torrential rain on a Scottish summers night.
Worth buying the locking nuts for a spare wheel. Michael at Listers put us on to a local chap who fitted the towbar & electrics while maintaining the VW warranty.

Well done on the decision - you won't regret it. Looking forward to comparing vans, the additional purchases are well worth the money especially the roof cover which stood up to the gale force winds and torrential rain on a Scottish summers night.
Worth buying the locking nuts for a spare wheel. Michael at Listers put us on to a local chap who fitted the towbar & electrics while maintaining the VW warranty.
Hi Simon, thanks for the tip. We ordered the factory tow bar in the end. With you on the spate wheel lock. I'd prefer an internal liner for the roof, because I'm expecting to use a roof box.

Wondering about lowering the suspension a little, because (having had our last van nicked of the drive) I'd like to get the Cali in my garage and I suspect it'll be a couple of cm too tall.

I think a lot on this forum have purchased their Cali via VW finance to gain the deposit contribution (then paid off straight away). By taking out the finance you are then entitled to purchase a different service package. Although the price of this has increased from what it was initially, it's still good value - worth having a look at but appreciate that everyone's needs are different. (Next 4 services for £349 plus VAT)

https://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/offers-finance/retail-finance
I'll look carefully at what's on offer when we get the van. As noted above, we're using the vw finance to get the extra £750 discount and this gives access to service deals