Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

I think I’ll politely tell they what they can do with my order if that’s the case.

As far as I’m aware, when I paid my deposit back in Aug, that was a contract which included the OTR price.
I thought the same, I have a finance quote which lists the vehicle price + VED and my finance payments less deposit have been worked our accordingly.

However my letter received today states that the VED remains the same (204 dsg). But I still get the vouchers. This being the case vw are offering no compensation at all to those where the VED has increased, very poor form. :rage

Compensation offered of £250 of high street vouchers for all the delays you've all encountered! That takes the pi$$! Especially to the 150hp vans that have increased VED.

VW gave me £250 worth of vouchers 4 years ago when my Golf R turned up with Grey and Black seats instead of the all black that was described at point of order. I'd want more than £250 if I'd been waiting an additional 3months with very little info from VW.

That's what I wanted to hear, I hope that it's the case.
They might offer you the software update, or might just do it at the next service but I’ve never heard of the VED rate being altered post registration apart from the usual budget increases.

@Grant5 What am I missing here?

The first year will incur an increase as the T6 changes bands. There after, it will remain the same rate as it would have been before with the current method.
For example A T6 150 DSG up 1 band so incurs an extra £300 for the 1st year. there after exactly the same costs as it was when you ordered your Cali.
So if VW meet you with the 1st year increase you are sorted.

Until someone tells me i'm wrong?

Look Here

A ray of sunshine...

West Yorks Van Centre moved heaven and earth for us this week. So our van which has been there since December, was picked up by us at lunch just yesterday. We made our holiday ferry to zeebrugge by just 15' with a lot of stuff thrown in the back, and slept the night on board in the cabins as many of you will have done. Less than 24 hours of owning it, and we're parked up in Ghent ready for our first night's sleep.

Everything in its place, tea made and wine next. We're in love with Moana (te reo Maori word for Ocean) already and loving Cali life.

We've had a stressful week, and as everyone might have already known, it's totally worth it. Hope everyone else gets out there soon!

I too received the VW letter today. I note some vehicles have flipped into the next VED Band as a result of the “fix” and others have not.

Please be clear on your rights;

When you paid your deposit to the Dealership you entered into a legally binding contract with them (not VW). Dealerships are not owned by VW. Your contract basically states you have agreed to pay the Dealership the OTR price, which includes VAT and VED, and they in return will provide you with a vehicle to an agreed specification.

Now, under contract law the Dealership cannot later change the OTR price without your agreement. The ONLY exemption to this is if the Government change the tax rules after entering into the contract. For example if VAT went up then you have to pay the difference on the balance outstanding, not the Dealership. Similarly, if the VED rules and/or rate change after entering into the contract then any resulting extra amount to be paid is down for you to pay.

In the two examples above the Dealership is required to collect the additional tax on behalf of the Government and they are in their right to demand we pay the additional tax not them. However, there has been no change to the VED rules or rates since April 2017. So providing you paid your deposit after April 2017 the Dealership has no reason to change the contract OTR and ask you to pay more. The fact some vehicles are in a higher VED rate is of VWs making. That is they either misrepresented their values (knowingly or unknowingly does not matter) on their specification or it has changed since because of the “update fix”. It is for the Dealerships to seek redress from VW if they end up out of pocket because of VW's cock up, not us.

Moreover, I was told by VWCS (Jay), as was many others, that we the customers would not be liable for any increase in VED as a result of them not being able to comply with their original VED banding after the “fix”.

VW’s offer of £250 should only be accepted in recognition being asked to make a decision to accept a higher polluting and lower mpg vehicle than we where originally contracted for. It is not an offer based on compensating us for our willingness to pay the Dealership more money due to the first year VED being revised to a higher tax band. This is consistent with the offer of £250 being made to all of its California customers, regardless of whether their vehicles are flipped into a higher VED band.

The Dealership can ask you to pay this extra amount BUT THEY CANNOT insist or withhold goods (van) from you if you do not comply to their request.

If you pay the extra VED to the Dealer, then more fool you.

Now where's my blue Cali!

When the last vw emissions issue occurred, the government agreed not to increase the ved for all vehicles affected, mine included.
I would hope that any increase in ved for those vehicles that haven’t been registered yet will be borne by the dealer / vw as it is through no fault of the buyers that any of this has happened.
The £250 compensation, I should hope, is in addition to any extra tax. £250 is practically an insult, when compared with the loss of enjoyment and worry you have all experienced.
I know it is not always the right thing to cut off your nose to spite your face but some of your forbearance is amazing to me and I guess all this will soon be forgotten once you take delivery. At least the delays have been over the winter months rather than the summer.

£250 in high street vouchers is an absolute insult on a £50k purchase.

Apart from the VED concerns I ordered a 150 DSG with an auto gearbox and it appears those ordering a manual are getting an autobox upgrade for free.

As anyone else managed to negotiate anything more than £250 of what will be no doubt useless vouchers; such as free service packs or add ons?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Thankyou Blue Yonder for a very informative account relating to the additional £300 VED.
We had been unsure who was liable to pay it but now we know and will definitely not be stumping up the extra.

I'd be amazed if the extra VED due as a result of the "conformity issue" is not covered by VW/dealer.

As they record all calls I'd suggest they playback some of them and recall what they've been advising customers in the last 6 months.

I'm glad I kept recordings of these too.

@Grant5 What am I missing here?

The first year will incur an increase as the T6 changes bands. There after, it will remain the same rate as it would have been before with the current method.
For example A T6 150 DSG up 1 band so incurs an extra £300 for the 1st year. there after exactly the same costs as it was when you ordered your Cali.
So if VW meet you with the 1st year increase you are sorted.

Until someone tells me i'm wrong?

Look Here

My OTR price included VED £500. Now that the 150 DSG has increased in VED by £300 to £800, the dealer informed me today that they will not absorb the additional £300 and that cost must be met be the customer :headbang

Thankyou Blue Yonder for a very informative account relating to the additional £300 VED.
We had been unsure who was liable to pay it but now we know and will definitely not be stumping up the extra.
My OTR price included VED £500. Now that the 150 DSG has increased in VED by £300 to £800, the dealer informed me today that they will not absorb the additional £300 and that cost must be met be the customer :headbang

Do not pay the extra VED! There has been no change in VED since we contracted with the Dealership. THEY have too supply the goods to the original OTR. See my last post for the reason why. Some ill informed Dealers may truly believe they can pass this on to you. Educate them otherwise.

I think the dealers have been dealt a blow by VW.de and their income will have taken a hit. Surely it is down to the German parent company to pay out as this is all their fault.

I think the dealers have been dealt a blow by VW.de and their income will have taken a hit. Surely it is down to the German parent company to pay out as this is all their fault.

Yes,it should be down to VW but one person that is should not be down to is the customer.

I can almost feel sorry for the dealer ... almost. I felt sorry for a bookie once,

I can almost feel sorry for the dealer ... almost. I felt sorry for a bookie once,

Hopefully they'll take a long term view and want to retain the business for servicing/warranty work.

Or maybe they don't care

CarrieCali, When you picked up your 150 Ocean this week, who paid the extra £300 VED?

:thumb
I too received the VW letter today. I note some vehicles have flipped into the next VED Band as a result of the “fix” and others have not.

Please be clear on your rights;

When you paid your deposit to the Dealership you entered into a legally binding contract with them (not VW). Dealerships are not owned by VW. Your contract basically states you have agreed to pay the Dealership the OTR price, which includes VAT and VED, and they in return will provide you with a vehicle to an agreed specification.

Now, under contract law the Dealership cannot later change the OTR price without your agreement. The ONLY exemption to this is if the Government change the tax rules after entering into the contract. For example if VAT went up then you have to pay the difference on the balance outstanding, not the Dealership. Similarly, if the VED rules and/or rate change after entering into the contract then any resulting extra amount to be paid is down for you to pay.

In the two examples above the Dealership is required to collect the additional tax on behalf of the Government and they are in their right to demand we pay the additional tax not them. However, there has been no change to the VED rules or rates since April 2017. So providing you paid your deposit after April 2017 the Dealership has no reason to change the contract OTR and ask you to pay more. The fact some vehicles are in a higher VED rate is of VWs making. That is they either misrepresented their values (knowingly or unknowingly does not matter) on their specification or it has changed since because of the “update fix”. It is for the Dealerships to seek redress from VW if they end up out of pocket because of VW's cock up, not us.

Moreover, I was told by VWCS (Jay), as was many others, that we the customers would not be liable for any increase in VED as a result of them not being able to comply with their original VED banding after the “fix”.

VW’s offer of £250 should only be accepted in recognition being asked to make a decision to accept a higher polluting and lower mpg vehicle than we where originally contracted for. It is not an offer based on compensating us for our willingness to pay the Dealership more money due to the first year VED being revised to a higher tax band. This is consistent with the offer of £250 being made to all of its California customers, regardless of whether their vehicles are flipped into a higher VED band.

The Dealership can ask you to pay this extra amount BUT THEY CANNOT insist or withhold goods (van) from you if you do not comply to their request.

If you pay the extra VED to the Dealer, then more fool you.

Now where's my blue Cali!
@Blue Yonder, this is great advice. I might request to hire your expertise when I go into battle with the dealer/VW :thumb

£250 in high street vouchers is an absolute insult on a £50k purchase.

Apart from the VED concerns I ordered a 150 DSG with an auto gearbox and it appears those ordering a manual are getting an autobox upgrade for free.

As anyone else managed to negotiate anything more than £250 of what will be no doubt useless vouchers; such as free service packs or add ons?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Absolutely nothing! I’d also be keen to know if anyone has been looked after better.

Blue Yonder,we extend an invitation to you to come with us when we pick ours up!

Back