Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

** Important News: New Vehicle Registrations on Hold

Well you guys seem to be having better luck than us! Our beautiful Cali is still at the port in Germany, and no-one can tell us when it will be shipped. We have been told that as our was at the port when the stop came through it is probably at the back of the compound and the vans in front of it need to move first! I really cant believe that that is correct and I can't tell you how upset we are. We have a loan car from VW but they cant find us a Van so we have had to cancel our Easter trip. I know others have had terrible experiences, but I just cant get over how unhelpful VW have been with us. I'm really glad for all of you that are seeing your Vans moving, I just wish ours would too!
That's very unlucky - mine is the same build week but got held at the factory. Fingers crossed yours will be on the next boat out :thumb

Apparently, the letters are being sent tomorrow. I’m sure we’ve heard that before :headbang

My dealer's always been good at communicating and I've just spoken to him... apparently they had the software uploaded onto my van onTuesday and then are waiting what they think will be 5 days for it be processed on the VW central computer and receive its new certificate of conformity. Then they'll be allowed to register it.... all very exciting :) almost at the end !... I don't know what I'll do without this thread to look forward to every day!

My dealer's always been good at communicating and I've just spoken to him... apparently they had the software uploaded onto my van onTuesday and then are waiting what they think will be 5 days for it be processed on the VW central computer and receive its new certificate of conformity. Then they'll be allowed to register it.... all very exciting :) almost at the end !... I don't know what I'll do without this thread to look forward to every day!
You won’t have time to look at this thread, you’ll be too busy making up for al that lost time in your Cali.

That's very unlucky - mine is the same build week but got held at the factory. Fingers crossed yours will be on the next boat out :thumb
We hear this evening that our Cali. 'might' have been on the boat that docked today!!!! Very excited, but completely fed up with the lack of clear information too! We have also been told the "letter" will be out tomorrow!!

There’s a big turd on my beach and VW don’t appear to care about cleaning up. Brand damage limitation first. Damn them and their brilliant bus!

53 pages of guess work, conjecture, and rumoring....I’ve officially lost my California mojo. Thank’s to all anyway! Ordered in September, build week ‘whatever’, It’s almost entirely irrelevant. Had two confirmed arrival dates that mean nothing, don’t even bother giving a third guess. Stopped reading the same articles and watching the same video clips in January.....it’ll be here when it’s here. I’ll keep reading and ruminating over this thread. It’s a weekly habit now. I look forward to shifting from reluctant boredom to joining those of you living a good dose of Cali excitement. Rolll on the summer fun to come.

There’s a big turd on my beach and VW don’t appear to care about cleaning up. Brand damage limitation first. Damn them and their brilliant bus!

53 pages of guess work, conjecture, and rumoring....I’ve officially lost my California mojo. Thank’s to all anyway! Ordered in September, build week ‘whatever’, It’s almost entirely irrelevant. Had two confirmed arrival dates that mean nothing, don’t even bother giving a third guess. Stopped reading the same articles and watching the same video clips in January.....it’ll be here when it’s here. I’ll keep reading and ruminating over this thread. It’s a weekly habit now. I look forward to shifting from reluctant boredom to joining those of you living a good dose of Cali excitement. Rolll on the summer fun to come.

And then the first letter arrives! Ha.

That really does take the Pi## I cant believe the are offering shop vouchers and a good will gesture of cancelling for free, goes to show how arrogant and care free they are for the customer.

On a lighter note I still think I would carry on with the order and forget about all of this hassle (I have a my17 beach and it’s the best)

Good luck guys and enjoy when you get them

I was at Liverpool VW yesterday (first service) and it was absolutely rammed full of new Cali’s. I hope you guys manage to get your hands on them soon!

I got my letter today too. The thing that irks me is that the extra 11g of CO2 adds £300 to the VED (assuming first registration before 1st April), and they're compensating us with £250 of "high street vouchers".

I'm taking the long view that come a week into ownership, all this will be forgotten, and the extra £50 is less than one thousandth (!) of the overall cost. VW's Department of Goodwill Gestures is clearly still in training...

Anyone in the same boat - Jay offered vw paying the increase in VED caused by delays. If not registered by the end of the month then that is £1240 - an extra £790 to what we were advised was the first year tax (we have emails saying it was £450, though I understand this was an error and it was £500). We put in a subject access request to prove this - which vw have so far ignored...

It looks like the base vehicle emissions have been revised, and that each vehicle produced will have emissions estimated based on the factory options selected.

What is unclear from that letter is if VED will be based on the base vehicle emissions or the emissions of the base vehicle plus factory options.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

872a1485fe5319b1ffb4be5ad2f9a896.jpg

My letter is slightly different. It seems that the 204 DSG has no difference in bed bands.

That really does take the Pi## I cant believe the are offering shop vouchers and a good will gesture of cancelling for free, goes to show how arrogant and care free they are for the customer.

On a lighter note I still think I would carry on with the order and forget about all of this hassle (I have a my17 beach and it’s the best)

I got my letter today too. The thing that irks me is that the extra 11g of CO2 adds £300 to the VED (assuming first registration before 1st April), and they're compensating us with £250 of "high street vouchers".

I'm taking the long view that come a week into ownership, all this will be forgotten, and the extra £50 is less than one thousandth (!) of the overall cost. VW's Department of Goodwill Gestures is clearly still in training...

We also received our letter this morning which is amazing really as we cancelled our order and received our deposit back in January.
Our 2015 cali has been sitting on the drive for a month now.
I have to say that if we had not "voted with our feet" and bought used I would be very very underwhelmed by VW response which quite frankly is about 2 and a half months too late. Remember this all started on the 8th of December

Probably a recall, a software update and a carry on as usual.
You may well be right but my advice is think long and hard before you get any software update done (unless it is a legal requirement)
You just need to look at the resulting fiasco from vws emissions scandal fix.
I got numerous letters asking me to take my car in for the update but I was so glad I didn’t. Two of my neighbours both had problems after the fix, as did many others.
This may well be a completely different scenario but don’t jump in early
I’m so pleased for those of you who have finally had some positive news on your deliveries and wish you many happy years with your new family members

You may well be right but my advice is think long and hard before you get any software update done (unless it is a legal requirement)
You just need to look at the resulting fiasco from vws emissions scandal fix.
I got numerous letters asking me to take my car in for the update but I was so glad I didn’t. Two of my neighbours both had problems after the fix, as did many others.
This may well be a completely different scenario but don’t jump in early
I’m so pleased for those of you who have finally had some positive news on your deliveries and wish you many happy years with your new family members

I'm fairly relaxed. I know Jason, the service manager where I go, quite well. He will be honest with me.

I'm in Alfie at the moment, snowing hard and bitter cold but all snug inside, and for about 1,000th time in our brief relationship together I'm telling him how much I love him :D He know's how much he means to me and I will not let anything terrible happen to him.

Last edited:
Software updates happen all the time and at servicing you might not even know. Our last Touran had the update then and ran just as well as before if not better.
VW have been poor in their communications and that is awful but what are other manufacturers doing regarding true emission data maybe quietly hiding behind the glare of VW publicity. My Ocean runs like a dream and I cannot think of a better campervan. VW deserve criticism but the California is brill.

Last edited:
872a1485fe5319b1ffb4be5ad2f9a896.jpg

My letter is slightly different. It seems that the 204 DSG has no difference in bed bands.

Just out of interest, that's exactly the same CO2 and mpg data that VW published in their latest brochure a few weeks ago.

To be honest, until now I have never ever read any of that data :(

All I have ever read is x = cost to buy, y = cost to get on road and z = annual tax for the rest of my ownership.

I await with bated breath what modifications they may want to retrospectively apply to my own vehicle and what changes to z that constitutes but otherwise, I'm on holiday ..... If you can call it that sat here watching the snow fall and listening to wind chill factors for tomorrow that I am sure Robert Falcon Scott would be familiar with :shocked

I’m slightly confused about my letter from VW. Are they now expecting the customers to pay the extra VED costs?

Back