Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inferiority of conversions

Makes sense. And with having a base van with minor bumps and lumps previously repaired, that could make even a bigger price difference.

No doubt that factory built is better quality camper van, but does it justify the higher price difference ? In my case that would be at around 20-30%, compared to the clone with same van spec mentioned above.
You should read back and check the differences in base vehicles used in the conversations and clones. A Caravelle base would be very different to a T28 Transporter base, but would look the same at first converted glance.

Not many convertors using the Cali kitchens and roof also use the interior plastic trims and blinds which are far superior to nylon carpet walls and curtains.

We hired a conversion, wife hated it, then hired a Cali, wife loved it. We now have an Ocean.
You see a lot of different conversions at the Caravan and Camping show, many of them look great. I do wonder about the weight and hence fuel consumption of some of the higher quality conversions though.
Our friends have a conversion and love it, but it would not be for us. Their new conversion cost about the same as our 10 month old van and ours came with a lot of optional extras (LED lights, chrome package, shower, laminated front screen, reversing camera, high spec speakers, sat nav to name a few). Each to their own.

There are several complete Cali interiors on eBay. All you need is £12k and a nice donor van with a right side sliding door. I’d much rather that than the carpeted van in Simon’s video.

Makes you wonder where these interiors really come from.

A great watch. They got around one of the issues raised here about safety by fitting a diesel hob and no need to carry a gas cylinder.
I like the idea of the diesel hob,
I thought they didn’t get used as the DVLA requirement to be classified as a motor caravan is for “a permanently fixed cooking facility powered by either gas or electricity “

They should fit them to the calis and keep the existing locker for the bbq gas with an external connection.

I like the idea of the diesel hob,
I thought they didn’t get used as the DVLA requirement to be classified as a motor caravan is for “a permanently fixed cooking facility powered by either gas or electricity “

They should fit them to the calis and keep the existing locker for the bbq gas with an external connection.
If that is the wording and what the DVLA are looking for, it would suggest that particular van would not be able to be registered as a camper van. So it would remain as what the original van was registered as. This may limit some insurance companies and affect maximum speed etc.

As for a diesel hob, if I was going for one of those, I would rather forgo the gas altogether and increase the fresh water storage (in principal) as not an easy mod.

from information on users of VW vans that are having DIY conversions or having a 'Professional' conversion done is that they also spend not inconsiderable sums of money having , dash, sound system, lights, steering wheel, engine power upgrades etc. carried out over and above the Campervan related initial costs.

If that is the wording and what the DVLA are looking for, it would suggest that particular van would not be able to be registered as a camper van. So it would remain as what the original van was registered as. This may limit some insurance companies and affect maximum speed etc.

As for a diesel hob, if I was going for one of those, I would rather forgo the gas altogether and increase the fresh water storage (in principal) as not an easy mod.
Diesel hobs don't seem to be a problem for registration, despite that particular wording. I opted for a Wallas diesel hob/heater in my Jerba Sanna, which was registered from new in July 2018 with Body Type "Motor Caravan".

I suppose it's possible that there may be some difference in treatment between a campervan like the Jerba, manufactured new as a 2-stage build with Full Type Approval (my V5c has the Model as VW Jerba Sanna, no mention of anywhere of Transporter) vs a one-off after-market conversion, but I can't really see why. And of course with the current situation regarding vans being classed as MPVs or Van with Side Windows, the type of hob seems to be the least of folk's problems!

Its a great question. I can compare my T5 Cali (owned for 7 years) with my T4 Bilbo Conversion (owned for 10 years before that). I looked at a really wide range of conversions before settling on the Bilbo. The quality of the Bilbo, matched or exceeded any of the others and the layout worked for us. I considered another Bilbo but found that the prices were not much less than the Cali. The Cali scored on spec and the brilliant integrated design, which no after-market conversion can match. After 7 years in the Cali, I can confidently say the quality of the build stands the test of time better than the Bilbo did.

I have had a T5 conversion for the last 5 years. It is 2007 T5 T28 84hp (now 104) 5 speed original van converted by an established company called Leisuredrive in Bolton. I bought off the chap who had the conversion done - he was ex military logistics so van was spotless and set me back £20k. It is very well put together and I'd say still looks same as day it was converted with everything working as it should. It has manual side lifting roof which does give good height all along van and an upper bed for an adult or two children. We have twin SMEV gas hob and sink with pumped cold water, we have SMEV oven and grill which was rare hen looking but to be honest have hardly used. The fridge is dometic 3 way - 12V, 240v and gas so don't need hook up. It has electric heater under passenger seat obv only works on hook up but hardly ever used it apart from son camping in -5 deg last year. Very comfortable bed but bit of a pain to set-up involving 4 cushions but enough space in front for our labrador to sleep in. Lots of storage space including easy access for porta potti. No A/C, no electric windows or mirrors. I have fitted reversing sensors (essential), Westafalia towbar for our Atara Strada cycle carrier. I also changed very basic radio for an excellent android DAB radio/Sat Nav system. 64k miles and it's been right down to Naples but spends 2 weeks in May and 2 weeks in Sept in Scotland! It does drive very well and averages mid to high 30's mpg but..........as said on here there's carpet up the sides (yes well fitted), no double glazing and it only has one battery for everything (replaced last month £250) but that has never let us down when off the grid..... Yes we really like it but it drives and rides like a van and can be noisy at times (probably due to lack of sound deadening like combi's have). It has served us well but now getting towards retirement it would be nice to get more use which I think a Cali would give (less faffing around with bed and ability for both to sleep up top so dog has space downstairs. I would also enjoy the better drive and travel comfort of a Cali. Don't get me wrong this conversion is good compared to what I still have seen and Leisuredrive say it is still worth what I bought it for. When we are back from hols I will be carrying on my search for my ideal spec and colour Cali and some nice ones coming up in here at the moment - my twopence-worth - oh lastly a Cali is quite a lot cheaper to insure than our conversion and I can only assume it is because it is a known identity where as heaven forbid having accident in conversion how could they assess repairs to the habitation side??

Diesel hobs don't seem to be a problem for registration, despite that particular wording. I opted for a Wallas diesel hob/heater in my Jerba Sanna, which was registered from new in July 2018 with Body Type "Motor Caravan".

I suppose it's possible that there may be some difference in treatment between a campervan like the Jerba, manufactured new as a 2-stage build with Full Type Approval (my V5c has the Model as VW Jerba Sanna, no mention of anywhere of Transporter) vs a one-off after-market conversion, but I can't really see why. And of course with the current situation regarding vans being classed as MPVs or Van with Side Windows, the type of hob seems to be the least of folk's problems!
I presume your Sanna did not incur the extra taxes imposed for vehicles costing over £40000, an advantage to be lost on Sunday?

I presume your Sanna did not incur the extra taxes imposed for vehicles costing over £40000, an advantage to be lost on Sunday?
@Bellcrew, yes, that was the position last summer. I believe it's been a by-product of the 2-stage manufacturing process that for some reason only the cost of the underlying base vehicle is considered towards the £40k threshold. I can understand if that's being changed now - for me it was a fortunate bonus of our choice, but I think I'd still have made the same van choice even under the new regs.

The other aspect of the 2-stage build and VED is that as a Motor Caravan the vehicle would come under car VED rates, based on emissions bands. But for that to be the case the emissions have to be known. Obviously a major manufacturer like VW performs the tests to determine those figures for vehicles like the Cali or the other versions of T6. But then the second stage build with its change of roof, interior fittings etc. alters the emissions. Until now a converter like Jerba with Small Series Type Approval for their models hasn't had to undertake the emissions tests - I don't know if that's changing now (anybody?) - But the consequence of the unknown emissions value has been that the vehicle gets put in the Taxation Class of Private Light Goods with its flat rate of (this year) £265.

To conclude my story. I've ended up with factory Cali and couldn't be more happy with it. One of the reasons was the scarcity of conversion options in my area, so I guess when those options are more abudant, I'm sure one can find one that suits him well.

I've just written a piece about ten years of owning a cali 5.1 SE. We almost went for a well known and good convertor but at end there was just so much about the Cali that clinched it. The pluses are all mentioned by many - take it to a nearby dealer for anything like a tap or blind (lucky mine has been excellent), Caravelle base, well specc'd, factory model etc etc.
There are some really really lovely converted by others or selves buses out there and yes each is a bit unique whilst Calis are basically the same and even features like chairs in tailgate or table in door are widely available as add ons .. but despite the now hefty price and stuff like roofgate a Cali still wins out for me no contest...

I've just written a piece about ten years of owning a cali 5.1 SE. We almost went for a well known and good convertor but at end there was just so much about the Cali that clinched it. The pluses are all mentioned by many - take it to a nearby dealer for anything like a tap or blind (lucky mine has been excellent), Caravelle base, well specc'd, factory model etc etc.
There are some really really lovely converted by others or selves buses out there and yes each is a bit unique whilst Calis are basically the same and even features like chairs in tailgate or table in door are widely available as add ons .. but despite the now hefty price and stuff like roofgate a Cali still wins out for me no contest...
Price ??
We have a 10 yr old Cali , very loved and well travelled still worth 30k? my niece bought a 2 yr old transporter and had it converted to her specifications all for 25k.

Price ??
We have a 10 yr old Cali , very loved and well travelled still worth 30k? my niece bought a 2 yr old transporter and had it converted to her specifications all for 25k.

She did well to buy a 2 year old Transporter and convert for £25k.
I wonder what spec it was...

She did well to buy a 2 year old Transporter and convert for £25k.
I wonder what spec it was...
And mileage?

Having come from robust Reimo and Westfalia vans I was very worried about the flimsy T5 onward Cali's. I'm hoping I don't tempt fate, but my 2006 (so 15 year old) 113k mile Cali is holding up brilliantly inside and out. I've only the very slightest signs (2 tiny blisters) of roof and front panel corrosion. All the interior is original and unbroken, including the roof computer panel. However for 13.5 of those years it had one very careful owner*, then an experienced owner in me, but it goes to show, if the interiors are handled sensitively, they can be durable.

(*) original owner kept detailed notes of every bulb and washer he'd replaced, so can be pretty confident of the originality I'm claiming here.

I saw a 2014 T5 conversion for sale last week at 43.5K!!! Very average camper conversion, no mention of diesel heater, statutory grey carpet plastered everywhere. I think the owner thought because it had 20" alloys and lowered he could add 10k in Covid tax to its worth.

Inferiority is a word i would never choose when it comes to the choices other people make. "Difference" would be a better, more respectable, choice as far as i am concerned.

We love the fact that we can turn our kitchen out and cook in the open air when the weather is fine. Not just us, but lots and lots of people we meet during our trips are amazed by this unique feature. It usually is the first subject of a conversation before setting of for a guided tour. Besides that, every item of the conversion was customizable, and would be our choice. We loved that.

We also checked out used and new California's. Fantastic vehicles and we almost bought one.

In the end the fact that we would own a "unique" camper made us decide to go for a conversion.

The base van was a fully specced 6.1 so there was no financial difference between a new California and our Tonke Van.

We hope all forummembers, Cali, conversion or otherwise, enjoy their vehicle just as much as we do!

Safe travels y'all!

IMG_7473.JPG

IMG_6212.JPG
4FB96965-DF3A-4208-B059-4AC539F295C3.jpg
IMG_6241.JPG

Inferiority is a word i would never choose when it comes to the choices other people make. "Difference" would be a better, more respectable, choice as far as i am concerned.

We love the fact that we can turn our kitchen out and cook in the open air when the weather is fine. Not just us, but lots and lots of people we meet during our trips are amazed by this unique feature. It usually is the first subject of a conversation before setting of for a guided tour. Besides that, every item of the conversion was customizable, and would be our choice. We loved that.

We also checked out used and new California's. Fantastic vehicles and we almost bought one.

In the end the fact that we would own a "unique" camper made us decide to go for a conversion.

The base van was a fully specced 6.1 so there was no financial difference between a new California and our Tonke Van.

We hope all forummembers, Cali, conversion or otherwise, enjoy their vehicle just as much as we do!

Safe travels y'all!

View attachment 74893

View attachment 74894
View attachment 74895
View attachment 74896
Tremendous feature! Do you have a sliding door on both sides?

Safe travels y'all!

View attachment 74893

View attachment 74894
View attachment 74895
View attachment 74896

Wonderful post and thank you for sharing your pictures! Looks great!
Happy travelling and stay safe!

Safe travels y'all!

View attachment 74893

View attachment 74894
View attachment 74895
View attachment 74896
Agree. We looked at Calis, did not tick our boxes, good vehicles but not for us. Bought a new T6, found a good VW approved converter, told them what we wanted, got what we wanted, very happy.

Back