Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inflatable mattress for downstairs

Anthony77

Anthony77

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
So, I got myself a Beach! We have four children, so space is at a premium. We wouldn't all sleep in the Cali. Probably four in the van and two in a tent. That said, we need to make space while travelling and the comfort mattress that came with our Beach (it was an ex-demo) takes up a huge amount of space.

I'm looking for an alternative with the perfect balance of comfort, size and convenience. We have some of those cheap self-inflating roll mats, but not sure how comfortable they'd be straight on the bumpy bed (even if I'm happy to use them in a tent!). Perhaps an inflatable mattress with an integral pump? Any suggestions gratefully received!

And apologies in advance for all the other questions I'll be bombarding you all with.

We use an Outwell dream catcher double. Many good sleeps on that and fits perfect when inflated

We use an Outwell dream catcher double. Many good sleeps on that and fits perfect when inflated
Thanks! Looks good. Is it very big when rolled up? It's difficult to tell from the website photo.

Thanks! Looks good. Is it very big when rolled up? It's difficult to tell from the website photo.
It’s about 12 inches round and 2ft long max, I just sit it on or under the multiflex

We also use a dreamcatcher but two singles. We sleep upstairs and two fit nice and tightly, no gap, with the supplied thin mattress on top. We have an SE and once rolled up they are easy to store in the boot. We have found they are much softer if you leave the valves open.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Once upon a time I used an airbed as opposed to a self-inflated mattress.

Aerobes, large single, small double, fits the downstairs bed perfectly with an integrated electric pump.

Drove me nuts :sad

Almost anything small and hard left on the seat or packed into the bedding or even seemingly magicked out of thin air would work it's way underneath or too the side and sometime during the night I would have that sinking feeling. It as also incredibly cold to sleep on. All that air inside being cooled by the cold surfaces of the van......

Now a comfort mattress with an outwell single,

Thermarest Mondo King -- totally amazing for tent camping (with car) -- all the bumps on hard ground completely ironed out, and really warm - didn't notice that my head torch was underneath me.

Cannot imagine it would perform differently in a van.

S2S Campervan Mattress on SALE now for £176.99 at:

Wow. Great price. I hope they deliver the one I just ordered.

Bummer.Took my order and then automatically refunded. Still showing 1 in stock so there must be a glitch in their ordering system

These are now back in stock on the sea to summit website although I have been advised they have low stock (at least for now).

Reactions: Sad
I bought mine through Addnature (a Bikester affiliate?). They had it on sale for £176.00 and it arrived from Germany within a week and no additional fees to pay. They were very good to deal with as well. The product is great too; simple to inflate and deflate, especially with the mini pump.

Decathalon budget 120 fits a treat and only 12 quid so get a spare for emergencies and you can keep one upstairs and still close the roof

Decathalon budget 120 fits a treat and only 12 quid so get a spare for emergencies and you can keep one upstairs and still close the roof

These are now back in stock on the sea to summit website although I have been advised they have low stock (at least for now).

This is my Sea to Summit (STS) mattress note, for anyone interested.

I have a new California no order and had included the comfort mattress, after ruminating about the space it takes up, removed it from my order on Monday.

There are several links on this forum on mattresses. I also watched Will’s ‘California Time’ YouTube video of 20.08.2021 and then decided STS was a better solution.

STS list the Comfort Deluxe SI ‘Campervan’ (which has their code ASM2065-01361608) but when I contacted them yesterday on 0191 2960212 they had just received two, which were already assigned to one specific re-seller, they were no currently stocking the ‘campervan’ model for direct sales, and they also did not know when they would get more in. There may apparently (see @harnwell, GETTR) be more supply issues not yet openly reported as China has closed several ports.

The UK reseller was Needle Sports. I bought one of the two which had only arrived that morning, and they have as the time of writing the other left at £225 including delivery:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping/Mats/Sea-to-Summit-Comfort-Deluxe-SI-Mat#Details

Matt at Needle sports 0176 8772227 was very helpful, and I dare say once someone takes the last one off him, if other California owners want to buy through him, it may be possible to pre-order. I have the impression he may have first call whilst there is short supply.

I also bought from Amazon the Flextailgear TIny Pump which Will recommends, principally for deflation before packing.

Others have bought STS mattresses from Germany, but I did not research this.

Last edited:
I just got the other one that was left. Thanks Viktorgeorge for the tip.

I have a new California no order and had included the comfort mattress, after ruminating about the space it takes up, removed it from my order on Monday.

There are several links on this forum on mattresses. I also watched Will’s ‘California Time’ YouTube video of 20.08.2021 and then decided STS was a better solution.

STS list the Comfort Deluxe SI ‘Campervan’ (which has their code ASM2065-01361608) but when I contacted them yesterday on 0191 2960212 they had just received two, which were already assigned to one specific re-seller, they were no currently stocking the ‘campervan’ model for direct sales, and they also did not know when they would get more in. There may apparently (see @harnwell, GETTR) be more supply issues not yet openly reported as China has closed several ports.

The UK reseller was Needle Sports. I bought one of the two which had only arrived that morning, and they have as the time of writing the other left at £225 including delivery:

https://www.needlesports.com/Catalogue/Camping/Mats/Sea-to-Summit-Comfort-Deluxe-SI-Mat#Details

Matt at Needle sports 0176 8772227 was very helpful, and I dare say once someone takes the last one off him, if other California owners want to buy through him, it may be possible to pre-order. I have the impression he may have first call whilst there is short supply.

I also bought from Amazon the Flextailgear TIny Pump which Will recommends, principally for deflation before packing.

thanks for the tip, I got the other one that was left

I have got my STS mattress, and I removed the VW 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' from my order.

I understand the 'Comfort Mattress' bit but can anyone confirm what the 'Bed Extension' is, which I will no longer have? Could that be a problem?

From other posts I can't work out if the 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' is just a mattress, or if it includes additionally some form or extended structure to support the far part of the mattress.

Last edited:
I have got my STS mattress, and I removed the VW 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' from my order.

I understand the 'Comfort Mattress' bit but can anyone confirm what the 'Bed Extension' is, which I will no longer have? Could that be a problem?

From other posts I can't work out if the 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' is just a mattress, or if it includes additionally some form or extended structure to support the far part of the mattress.
I have a 6.1. it could be that the "bed extension" is the thin "mattress" on top of the rear shelf. This makes the rear bench seat level with rear shelf. Hopefully that makes sense! I think you need to check with the dealer.

I have a 6.1. it could be that the "bed extension" is the thin "mattress" on top of the rear shelf. This makes the rear bench seat level with rear shelf. Hopefully that makes sense! I think you need to check with the dealer.
Thanks, Subthree. I am not sure if my dealer is quite sure, hence my question here. So is there a recent 2022 6.1 owner who has taken delivery of an Ocean without the 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' option, and if so does is the rear shelf step down from the seat when reclined?

If it does step down, and the 'Bed Extension' is just a flat piece of padding, then presumably I will easily be able to create an infill.

Thanks, Subthree. I am not sure if my dealer is quite sure, hence my question here. So is there a recent 2022 6.1 owner who has taken delivery of an Ocean without the 'Bed Extension/Comfort Mattress' option, and if so does is the rear shelf step down from the seat when reclined?

If it does step down, and the 'Bed Extension' is just a flat piece of padding, then presumably I will easily be able to create an infill.
Perhaps the bed extension is the mattress in this photo? I would be tempted to leave it on the order, would certainly help when you sell the van.

Screenshot_20220225-160051.png

Perhaps the bed extension is the mattress in this photo? I would be tempted to leave it on the order, would certainly help when you sell the van.

View attachment 89634
Thank you subthree.

Can anyone answer this point? I.e., now that I have cancelled the bed extension and comfort mattress, will I have a step behind the flattened bed: where the shelf is? Although I don't want the comfort mattress, now I have the Sea to Summit one, will I need to source a foam 'level up'?

I am wondering what recent Oceans - supplied without a comfort mattress - actually got.

Last edited:
I understood from previous posts that the vw comfort mattress option is only the fold out part - the cushion which rests on the parcel shelf is standard? I’ve not heard anything different and hoping I’m right as I also cancelled this as an extra and purchased the S2S one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understood from previous posts that the vw comfort mattress option is only the fold out part - the cushion which rests on the parcel shelf is standard? I’ve not heard anything different and hoping I’m right as I also cancelled this as an extra and purchased the S2S one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It sounds as if we have both done the same thing, CD.

Anyone able to confirm if the parcel shelf cushion is required to level the full bed and if so whether it comes with or without the comfort mattress?

It sounds as if we have both done the same thing, CD.

Anyone able to confirm if the parcel shelf cushion is required to level the full bed and if so whether it comes with or without the comfort mattress?
It is required to level the bed. I do not know whether it is part of the Comfort Mattress pack.

Back