Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inflatable mattress solutions

Her Outdoors

Her Outdoors

Empty nesters practicing for retirement
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We bought the S2S mattress from Bikester 3/4 weeks ago and will soon be using it on our first trip. I didn’t realise they were a German supplier and had a bit of a panic that we’d be caught with additional import vat and duty, but am pleased to say that’s not been the case.

I’ve got a couple of questions:
How self-inflating is it? Do we need the jet stream pump bag?
and
One for those who use it upstairs, if you’re staying a second night and elevating the bed, do you deflate it?
I'm assuming we can deflate it and leave it up there when we lower the roof during a trip?
All advice welcome.

haydnw2

haydnw2

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Do we need the jet stream pump bag?
We use it, and it does make inflation easier. It sounds weird thing to point out, but the bag material is really noisy in use, so if someone is sleeping upstairs then make sure you inflate your mattress before they go to bed!

S

subthree

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
We bought the S2S mattress from Bikester 3/4 weeks ago and will soon be using it on our first trip. I didn’t realise they were a German supplier and had a bit of a panic that we’d be caught with additional import vat and duty, but am pleased to say that’s not been the case.

I’ve got a couple of questions:
How self-inflating is it? Do we need the jet stream pump bag?
and
One for those who use it upstairs, if you’re staying a second night and elevating the bed, do you deflate it?
I'm assuming we can deflate it and leave it up there when we lower the roof during a trip?
All advice welcome.
If you haven't already, before you use it for your first trip you need to let in inflate at home. No doubt it was vacuum packed in China many months ago and needs many hours to expand.

T

tedgina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello,

I have been looking at the forums to see if anyone could recommend a compact self inflating mattress (single or double) that an be used in conjunction with the existing VW mattresses (top and bottom levels). The last posts seem to be a few years old and some of the recommendations are no longer sold / available.

We have a T6 Ocean that already has a comfort mattress.

Thanks
we use these you can leave them in the roof flat deflated when you move on it closes no problem
Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad - Poppy - Regular

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad - Poppy - Regular

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad packed

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad contents

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad [Photo: James Barkman]

Therm-a-Rest® ProLite™ Sleeping Pad [Photo: James Barkman]

thumbnail

thumbnail

13264_thermarest_prolite_poppy_regular_angle.jpg

Her Outdoors

Her Outdoors

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
If you haven't already, before you use it for your first trip you need to let in inflate at home. No doubt it was vacuum packed in China many months ago and needs many hours to expand.
Thank you, we did that and I'm glad you mentioned it!

Her Outdoors

Her Outdoors

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
We use it, and it does make inflation easier. It sounds weird thing to point out, but the bag material is really noisy in use, so if someone is sleeping upstairs then make sure you inflate your mattress before they go to bed!
Purchase made, I think it's sensible to use it rather than blowing into the mattress and introducing moisture. Thanks for the advice!

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We just got a sea 2 summit for our new van and it's by far the best thing we've slept on. We had two or three toppers in the old van but it was still very hard. Only negative to sea 2 summit so far is we sleep downstairs and it's a pain to deflate each day. Still worth it for the comfort though.
We deflate it by rolling it up with valves reversed and store it upstairs, replacing the original upstairs matress and sits there with roof closed. Takes maybe 3 min.

S

Scoobz1

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Roger do you happen to have an isotop fitted upstairs ?

Thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Scoobz

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
Roger do you happen to have an isotop fitted upstairs ?

Thinking of doing the same.

Thanks
Scoobz
sorry to jump into your question. Roger says he's leaving the S2S with roof closed, but he "replaced" the original mattress. So I am confident that by removing the original mattress there is enough room to store the S2S also with an Isotop.
I also have an Isotop. and with the original mattress left in place I doubt you can leave anything more that a bedsheet+ mattress cover...

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
sorry to jump into your question. Roger says he's leaving the S2S with roof closed, but he "replaced" the original mattress. So I am confident that by removing the original mattress there is enough room to store the S2S also with an Isotop.
I also have an Isotop. and with the original mattress left in place I doubt you can leave anything more that a bedsheet+ mattress cover...
We have removed the original mattress and replaced it with the S2S sim. We are able to deflate it sufficiently by using a hand held electric inflator/deflator, as mentioned in an earlier post. We also leave a Woolroom topper and window blinds up there and the roof will close. Every now and then the rear of the roof will be slightly proud. We have to raise the roof again and pull the SIM forward a tad and that sorts it out. It’s really important to get as much air out as possible and the electric deflator makes the process quicker and a lot easier.

Calimili

Calimili

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have removed the original mattress and replaced it with the S2S sim. We are able to deflate it sufficiently by using a hand held electric inflator/deflator, as mentioned in an earlier post. We also leave a Woolroom topper and window blinds up there and the roof will close. Every now and then the rear of the roof will be slightly proud. We have to raise the roof again and pull the SIM forward a tad and that sorts it out. It’s really important to get as much air out as possible and the electric deflator makes the process quicker and a lot easier.
thx. This solution looks very attractive, as it would be quite convenient to deflate the SIM completely and leave sleeping bags in there with the roof closed.
I just don't trust inflatables, at some point in their life they will puncture and don't want to be stuck in a long hol without a mattress at all!
Mind you my bad experience comes from tent camping with cheap inflatables mattresses...

ThomasHJ

ThomasHJ

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
This thing costs an arm and a leg. But it's worth it. I haven't heard of anyone having a puncture yet. Keep in mind that it's not 'just' an inflateable matress. On the inside it also has foam parts, much like a classic (non-inflateable) mattress.

Ch1pbutty

Ch1pbutty

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
I just don't trust inflatables, at some point in their life they will puncture and don't want to be stuck in a long hol without a mattress at all!
Mind you my bad experience comes from tent camping with cheap inflatables mattresses...
We have had an Outwell self inflating mattress for abt 15 years, still going strong - our son uses it alot when we have the awning up, they are pretty much bomb proof!

(They can get warm as they are 100% synthetic, but think some use a topper to overcome this.)

T

tedgina

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
It
thx. This solution looks very attractive, as it would be quite convenient to deflate the SIM completely and leave sleeping bags in there with the roof closed.
Helps if you slightly deflate the mattress during day time iff it gets very hot the air will expand and possibly cause problems with the mattress being too hard over inflated

Billylou

Billylou

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199
It comes
This thing costs an arm and a leg. But it's worth it. I haven't heard of anyone having a puncture yet. Keep in mind that it's not 'just' an inflateable matress. On the inside it also has foam parts, much like a classic (non-inflateable) mattress.
It comes with some self adhesive repair patches so you have some redundancy. As per other comments it is a good idea to deflate it a little during the day especially on hot days. Having been on this forum for a couple of years I’ve landed buying so much crock because someone has suggested it’s needed, and it probably is for them. This however has been a massive benefit in terms of comfort and quality of sleep.

Roger Boeken

Roger Boeken

calisutra
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have thermarest inflatables 30 years old and still used For camping with tent.

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Do you Sea to Summit users find you get sweaty with the non breathing inflatable mattress?
We use sea to summit then have a zonesleep topper on top of that, very very comfortable and cool due to air movement in zonesleep

E

Ebos

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi I have been looking to buy the sea to summit camper version for quite a few months but cant find it anywhere. Has anyone got any ideas where to look? Surely manufacturing and / or sourcing problems can’t be going on this long? Thanks in advance

VW California Club