Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Infuriating squeak

B

Bumble bowler

Picked up our van this week. Since filling water tank it has developed the most grating, deafening, annoying squeak on going over the smallest bump!!
Anyone else had similar experience or know of a fix??

I have too many rattles and squeaks too worry about. Try and remember it is a van that has been converted to a camper. :headbang

John

The only one that has really bothered us (so far) is the inside table- we have rammed a large sponge in there and rather inelegantly fixed it. Could your squeek be connected with the gas bottle?

Larkrise said:
The only one that has really bothered us (so far) is the inside table- we have rammed a large sponge in there and rather inelegantly fixed it. Could your squeek be connected with the gas bottle?

Mine is normally a bath towel and tea towel, wrapped around the table, the table slid back into place and the ends of tea towel and bath towel shoved between seat and table top.

Trouble is though, squeak and rattle sounds spread. Gas bottle could be a likely culprit if it only happens when tank filled, otherwise if it that intrusive it could be cause for taking it to a dealer and making sure nothing mechanical is going wrong.

Thanks very much for the advice. Had already wedged the table.
I was expecting some noise, but this drowns out the radio and daughter complains it hurts her ears!!
I suppose it masks the other monorail rattles and bangs

Sorry, "more minor", not monorail! Predictive text

Are you able to pinpoint roughly where the noise is coming from? We all accept the odd rattle here and there but if you can hear it over the radio it sounds a bit more severe.

Our table rattled (the sliding one) until I sussed out clicking it in properly, our picnic table drove me nuts rattling so I stuff a baby wipe or two into the fitting and sorted it. Then the wipe fell out and the rattle has gone forever. I often get a dash rattle/squeak that is usually sorted by hitting it hard.

Oh this luxurious lifestyle we all lead… :lol:

I can reproduce the noise by pushing on the gas cylinder. Tried padding it and then removing it. Still no joy. I think it is the water tank squeaking on its mounting, as I can reproduce the noise by pushing on it. Only started since I filled it.
I can live with the table rattles etc...

I have infuriating squeaks in the Cali but only when the wife & kids are in it as well :cool:

Silicone aerosol spray can be very useful.

The most annoying rattle I've found is the awning and I've tried winding it out and back in but it still rattles over bumps, any ideas?
Simon

cayman57 said:
The most annoying rattle I've found is the awning and I've tried winding it out and back in but it still rattles over bumps, any ideas?
Simon

Plastic ties are good

John :goodone

Silicone spray sounds like a good idea, I'll give it a go. Also thought about olive oil? Thanks for all the advice.
Amazingly, it is the first environment I've found where the kids improve the noise.

johntowers46 said:
cayman57 said:
Simon

Plastic ties are good

Hi john
Thanx for the tip, any clues to exactly where to fit them. Also just noticed my windscreen washers aren't working, apparently there's a fuse in the engine bay but I've looked today and can't see any fuses in engine bay, any clues as to where it's located?
Cheers in advance

Simon

Gt85 is very good for squeaks. It is Teflon spray and the solvent evaporates after you have applied it to leave the Teflon only. Available at halfords and the interweb.

Tried the halfords spray with amazing success!! Thank you very much.

cayman57 said:
johntowers46 said:
cayman57 said:
Simon

Plastic ties are good

Hi john
Thanx for the tip, any clues to exactly where to fit them. Also just noticed my windscreen washers aren't working, apparently there's a fuse in the engine bay but I've looked today and can't see any fuses in engine bay, any clues as to where it's located?
Cheers in advance

Simon

Yes, this would be good to know.

Much appreciated

The fuses in the engine bay are under the battery cover to the right of the engine.

There is no listing included on any of the covers or in the handbook of which fuse does what. Even the VW techs don't know and have to look your vehicle up on the VW website to find out which fuse does what

It should be possible to see which fuse has blow by looking at them in situ.

Alan

Bumble bowler said:
Tried the halfords spray with amazing success!! Thank you very much.

Hello. I have the water tank / gas cupboard squeak too. I have tried to locate the mounting points to see whether anything can be tightened up but I can't find them. I'd like to give the teflon spray a go. where do you spray it?

many thanks - Steve

With regards to fuses - check the Downloads section, as above. Details of T5 fuse layout. The document does cover variations as it has fuse locations etc: for fridge/ Inverter etc:.

Yes, I've got a few rattles/squeaks. The dash occasionally has a squeak on the middle LH side--perhaps weather related. Have recently acquired an annoying rattle which I think comes from the bed slats. Anyway, that's on the nearside. Thought it might have been one of the blinds, or the upstairs lamp rattling on the metal--non of those. As you'd expect, it's worse on rough roads.Did the sponge trick for the small table. Overall my Cali is quieter than some MH's I've owned.

I have a squeak that is coming from the awning area.
Took it to my local vw dealership last week.
They said they wanted it for a few hours which turned out to be 3 days only pick it up with the same squeak and oil patches on my carpet from the mechanic.
and then wanted me to pay for the labour even though its a 13 plate with 5800 miles on it.
apparently vw only cover squeaks for 6 months.( watch out for that one at £50+vat per hour.)
still not sure where its coming from.( they said it was the sliding door and packed it out and said it might of come from myself slamming the door.( with a self locking motor)

Hello. I have the water tank / gas cupboard squeak too. I have tried to locate the mounting points to see whether anything can be tightened up but I can't find them. I'd like to give the teflon spray a go. where do you spray it?

many thanks - Steve

We have a 2016 Ocean that has developed a similar squeak. Trying to get it looked at under warranty but would like to know if you had any success with the teflon spray and where it should be squirted if we have no look under the warranty

Managed to track down a New cause for a " Squeak / Groaning Noise ".
Started a few weeks ago with the change in weather, a squeaky groan behind the front passenger seat and seemed to be high up.
Only occurred when driving a " cold " vehicle, after being parked for at least an hour or so. Only occurred on side to side motion and not up and down, like speed humps.
So checked roof, up and down with some silicon spray on seal. No Change.
Emptied out kitchen cupboards - no change.
Checked inside for any loose bolts or fixings - none - no change.
Accidentally lent against front kitchen corner - SAME NOISE
Further investigation showed that pushing the kitchen unit, at the front end behind passenger seat, towards side window produced the noise. The corner next to the bottom 'B" pillar trim behind the passenger seat was the area. Trim firmly in place and no adjustment possible on kitchen unit. Some Silicon spray helped so squirted some Lithium grease behind the Lower/upper trim overlap and between lower trim and kitchen unit. Cleaned away excess and Noise now gone. Silence reigns once again.
I think it is temperature related and would disappear in warmer ambient temperatures or even colder temperatures.:thumb

Back