Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Infuriating squeak

I have a rattle/squeak/interference from the Dash - windscreen area. It sounds like driving fast through swarms of insects and the sound that makes as they splatter against the windscreen - or, tiny gravel hitting it.

It only happens though below 15C and normally heading North East or with a 0-35 degree headwind. Really annoying between December and April :sad

Managed to track down a New cause for a " Squeak / Groaning Noise ".
Started a few weeks ago with the change in weather, a squeaky groan behind the front passenger seat and seemed to be high up.
Only occurred when driving a " cold " vehicle, after being parked for at least an hour or so. Only occurred on side to side motion and not up and down, like speed humps.
So checked roof, up and down with some silicon spray on seal. No Change.
Emptied out kitchen cupboards - no change.
Checked inside for any loose bolts or fixings - none - no change.
Accidentally lent against front kitchen corner - SAME NOISE
Further investigation showed that pushing the kitchen unit, at the front end behind passenger seat, towards side window produced the noise. The corner next to the bottom 'B" pillar trim behind the passenger seat was the area. Trim firmly in place and no adjustment possible on kitchen unit. Some Silicon spray helped so squirted some Lithium grease behind the Lower/upper trim overlap and between lower trim and kitchen unit. Cleaned away excess and Noise now gone. Silence reigns once again.
I think it is temperature related and would disappear in warmer ambient temperatures or even colder temperatures.:thumb

We had, thankfully, a squeak which sounded to be like twisting a leather belt just above the drivers head. When my wife was sitting in the back she swore it came from above the rear seat. It seems that it turned out to be the pop top. Been up for the first time in a few weeks after lots of free camping. What grease do you use WG? Might have to have some in my stash.

We had, thankfully, a squeak which sounded to be like twisting a leather belt just above the drivers head. When my wife was sitting in the back she swore it came from above the rear seat. It seems that it turned out to be the pop top. Been up for the first time in a few weeks after lots of free camping. What grease do you use WG? Might have to have some in my stash.
Either Silicone Grease or Lithium High Temp Grease in a spray can with extension tube.

I have one too!
A rattle from passenger side footwell area when going over bumps. Mot next week so I'll ask if they can have a poke around the front suspension.
I did solve a dashboard squeak. When the air con had chilled the dash enough there was a squeak from the dash tray (T5) above the radio. Sorted it by removing the tray and putting some pvc tape around the edge.

I have one too!
A rattle from passenger side footwell area when going over bumps. Mot next week so I'll ask if they can have a poke around the front suspension.
I did solve a dashboard squeak. When the air con had chilled the dash enough there was a squeak from the dash tray (T5) above the radio. Sorted it by removing the tray and putting some pvc tape around the edge.
I had a knocking noise around the footwell turned out to be a loose bolt on the front mud flaps. Might be work a look if you have them.

..me,,

The most annoying rattle I've found is the awning and I've tried winding it out and back in but it still rattles over bumps, any ideas?
Simon
I too have found the awning rattle most invasive.. My cure was to use a variety of the more rubber type draft excluder between the parts that rattle. With the awning open if you have a really good look around the points of contact / rattle should clearly be seen. Just cut and stick a piece of said excluder to the points of contact. The top and middle of the legs are quite major contributors. With a little experimentation the awning can be removed from your list of rattles to deal with.

I too have found the awning rattle most invasive.. My cure was to use a variety of the more rubber type draft excluder between the parts that rattle. With the awning open if you have a really good look around the points of contact / rattle should clearly be seen. Just cut and stick a piece of said excluder to the points of contact. The top and middle of the legs are quite major contributors. With a little experimentation the awning can be removed from your list of rattles to deal with.
Some have wrapped extra velcro straps around the awning to prevent any creep.

Some have wrapped extra velcro straps around the awning to prevent any creep.
Not found creep the problem as the "lid" seems to keep tight, more the very small box full of intimately close long lengths of metal to be the cause of irritation. A few carefully positioned bits of draft excluder / felt pads really can make a huge difference.

I had a knocking noise around the footwell turned out to be a loose bolt on the front mud flaps. Might be work a look if you have them.

..me,,
I do and will have a look, thanks.

Back