Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insulating the windscreen and side windows

G

gatvol

All

There are various options for insulating the front cabin. What is the best system please ?

Internally mounted screens (Brandrup) seem sensible as they will be dry, can't get stolen... Some people go for the external screens so there must be a reason why

Might I ask what the pros and cons are for to a newbie. I ask as I fear that accessories like this might be like cat toys. You can buy what you like, but you only know if they are any good when it is too late !

Thanks

Hi mate
The screens you get with the Cali are hopeless. Most people go for the external screens I have too they work well
And are easy to fit. I did have internal thermal screens in my old t5 but they come with suckers and tend to fall off not to mention bashing the mirror and catching the sun visors. The external ones are easier in my opinion.

Great thing about the taylormade or other external covers is they don't just insulate, they prevent condensation and keep the frost/snow off - clear screen in the mornings. I use mine all the time, even on the drive at home when it is going to be frosty.

Somebody has to be different :roll:
I like the VW screens :shocked they take up very little space and are ideal for summer trips.
I bought a set of Nova van specific internal insulated screens cost approx £55, they are attached by means of suckers but you need to make sure that all the air is forced out of the sucker, I peel back the edge of the sucker prior to attaching , this stops them(or at least mine), from coming unstuck. They roll up nicely and are easily stored.

I bought a set of Taylormade after reading rave reviews, but for me personally I prefer the internal. The externals are bulky, take up more storage and are a pain to take down and fold when wet and you're also getting wet. I can appreciate why people prefer them, that's why I bought a set, but for me after a couple of uses, it's internal screens.

It's all a matter of personal preference, unfortunately it's hard to decide without experience and I know it's an expensive mistake.

Hubert

To be frank we found the VW flimsy internal ones to be excellent for warm to moderate weather and our Taylor Made external one a waste of space, time and money.

The Taylor Made external one comes into its own in cold weather though when it keeps the cold at bay and prevents (to some large extent) condenstaion.
As the previous poster has said, the Taylor Made's negative is bulk to travel with and awkward to store when wet.
Another negative of the Taylor Made is that we had to stitch the mirror loops back on - they ripped off in a very gusty Skye wind.
The original stich marks looked very close to the edge.

I like the fact that in summer the VW ones can be stored flat in the roof bed area (in fact we've never stored them dismantled and folded in their daft little bag.

If you buy a Taylor made be careful with the magnets that they come with to help anchor the thing to the metal of the van (not really necessary). They are so well known for scratching the van that I think there's a label on them now with some sort of warning?

We use Silver Screens: http://www.silverscreens.co.uk/index.html in all conditions. The bag they came in is lined with a similar material so is waterproof and allows the screens to be stored damp without affecting anything stored nearby. Can't comment on virtues vs. Taylor Made, but fit well and no problems so in two years. Definitely on my short list of things we would get if equiping a Cali from scratch

We too are a +1 for silver screens

We use internal screens from Just Kampers. Good but a strugg.le to fit, especially if you turned the seats round first, a small monkey is then required to do the fitting!
They pack up small and store in the roof. After 7 or 8 years they are looking a bit tatty now.
Externals have the problems of removal in the wet etc mentioned by the others.
If we are hammering back from Spain and stop for one night somewhere we sometimes dispense with screens entirely and hang towels from the top of the van down behind the front seats, creating a curtain . Other makes provide a curtain on a rail which seems quite a good way to solve the problem I think...... bit VW don't!

:offtopic
But
We have the sucker internal silver screens but mainly take away / use the cloth screen provided with the van. The pop up sides are perfect. We modified the front screen so we don't have to use the poles. We stuck velcro to the cloth and windscreen at the top. 5x half inch strips work fine to hold the cloth screen up. Saves space and money :clap
Shame VW didn't fit the front curtains our european Cali owners have.
Hope this helps.

Back