Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insulation

VWDrooper

VWDrooper

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does any body know if the Grand Clai comes with any insulation in the walls, floor etc ?

I’m afraid I don’t know but as the T5/T6 California has none, apart from double glazed windows, I would be surprised if there is any. Many of the Grand California’s competitors will have insulation. It will be interesting to find out. The small volume of the California gets away without specific insulation. The almost complete lining with plastic helps a bit I think and the heater, designed for larger spaces copes fine even in sub zero conditions. I’ll be following this thread with interest.

For the price, I’d be expecting gold standard insulation - as said competitors have a range of branded insulation. Watching with interest ............

It should have our westfalia columbus has it in every orifice.is the GC winterised?

I can partly answer this question.
Yea there is insulation. The sidewalls have around 8cm of plastic loft-type insulation.This is covered with a kind stretchy foam/rubber insulation forming a additional layer and presumably moisture barrier. The blown air heating system in addition to the main vents, has 2 smaller hoses that run into the sidewalls where on one side some water pipes are located, and on the other is next to the 100 litre water tank. The underslung grey water tank is not insulated (and to my knowledge not heated).
A couple of pics attached. First one shows the electrical cupboard where the 2 smaller heating hoses split from the main pipe. The other is the water cupboard (in the 680 it is accessed from above); here you can see some of the loft style insulation.

37505A2D-ED24-4A0E-A895-235290CA11FB.jpeg

84F0B6CC-F368-4940-8986-812BB94B3433.jpeg

I presume the red, blue and green colours relate to different types/qualities of insulation?

Well it’s minus 4 outside, but little wind.
despite having heating on low , it’s pretty toasty inside.
So far very impressed with 2 things:
- the insulation is doing a good job
- the heating is really progressive. By that I mean it can maintain a temp unlike my T5 and T25 with their heating systems (Webasco and Propex) which blast out hot air having you kick off the duvet, only for it to off-cycle and you freeze.
As an aside, the 4 Motion gave me a lot of confidence getting up here.

77107F6E-A832-49AB-ABBF-6D3012037B0B.jpeg

52773461-ADD0-4AF2-98EF-7B7C7C556816.jpeg

Well it’s minus 4 outside, but little wind.
despite having heating on low , it’s pretty toasty inside.
So far very impressed with 2 things:
- the insulation is doing a good job
- the heating is really progressive. By that I mean it can maintain a temp unlike my T5 and T25 with their heating systems (Webasco and Propex) which blast out hot air having you kick off the duvet, only for it to off-cycle and you freeze.
As an aside, the 4 Motion gave me a lot of confidence getting up here.

View attachment 54106

View attachment 54107

Love it.

Incidentally did you have the WiFi router option fitted and if so does it work well?

Thanks.
No WiFi router, seemed pointless when our phones have hotspots.
Ok thanks but for your info the WiFi router option hotspot is reportedly x6 times stronger than the phone

Ok thanks but for your info the WiFi router option hotspot is reportedly x6 times stronger than the phone
Thanks for the info. That’s a more interesting proposition then. By 6 x stronger is that for the reception/transmission of the 4G signal or the WiFi signal? When I travelled around the States I was always interested in the van mounted powered mobile phone antennas, which provided reception where a standard phone had no hope. There were lots of mixed reports about various products and I couldn’t work out which the best one was, and they were expensive, so I never went for it.

Morning,

At the time of ordering the GC I took a flyer and ordered the optional WiFi and router without info.
Whilst at the stealers the other day one of the sales team offered some literature on the WiFi. See link.
Supose it can be retro fitted.

Picture from a sales rep training in Sweden.View attachment 54056

The sales rep reply's something like this: " They did not explain the colors. It displays all insulated surfaces in wall and ceiling.
It may be that there are different materials in the walls and doors. Can also be so just to see the difference between what is wall and door. But all colored parts are insulation.
You also have about 4cm insulation in the floor, so the whole "cabin" is insulated to withstand winter use."

The sales rep reply's something like this: " They did not explain the colors. It displays all insulated surfaces in wall and ceiling.
It may be that there are different materials in the walls and doors. Can also be so just to see the difference between what is wall and door. But all colored parts are insulation.
You also have about 4cm insulation in the floor, so the whole "cabin" is insulated to withstand winter use."
Thanks the info

Thanks for that Rome, great information, shame the grey water tank is not insulated.

Will

Winter camping folks over on the German forum are pretty impressed with the insulation. A different guy who’s ripped out the cab area to fit a lithium battery under the right hand seat has applied insulation under the cab flooring, and the front door panels - so there’s one area for minor improvement

Winter camping folks over on the German forum are pretty impressed with the insulation. A different guy who’s ripped out the cab area to fit a lithium battery under the right hand seat has applied insulation under the cab flooring, and the front door panels - so there’s one area for minor improvement
Hi has anyone looked behind the headliner, there’s no additional insulation on our van. Is it’s just us?

9A1CFCCE-775F-4DAE-97CD-1E7D45E11044.jpeg

Back