Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance and Trackers

Ok so this is now officially very frustrating! I’m now researching Trackers. Didn’t really want one as I’m definitely getting Ghost fitted, but not having a Tracker is limiting the insurance options, and will continue to do so each year. So do I get a basic, insurance friendly tracker or just bite the bullet and get a decent one whilst I’m at it??? Think I’ll have to do some searching on S5 vs S7……… :headbang
Why? Just call NFU :)

Why? Just call NFU :)
Yeah I’ll certainly give them a bell tomorrow.

Interestingly though, after researching all evening, I’ve come across a Smartack S5 + imob tracker, which seems to work similar to Ghost, via the can-bus system, but using a credit card sized card instead of inputting a code. It’s more expensive than Ghost but it is Thatcham approved and therefore insurance friendly, and it obviously does tracking, plus it’s probably better for resale (not that I’m planning on that for many years!). I’ll do a bit more research on that system tomorrow. The plot thickens……

I was thinking of a Ghost 2 as well, have a cheap tracker from Re-wire which works very well, but not insurance approved, but for own piece of mind and is great for looking back on journeys
On the ghost is there a min and max setting for buttons to be programmed! And does anyone use the Apple app to set and un set

It’s time insurance companies recognised that trackers are ineffective defence against the majority of car thieves and moved on to the same model as Belgium where Bearlock (a physical transmission lock) is mandatory on all vehicles over a certain cost (€40,000?). If you’re a Cali owner I recommend a call to theftstop.co.uk to get one fitted.

I was thinking of a Ghost 2 as well, have a cheap tracker from Re-wire which works very well, but not insurance approved, but for own piece of mind and is great for looking back on journeys
On the ghost is there a min and max setting for buttons to be programmed! And does anyone use the Apple app to set and un set
Yes you can program the buttons yourself. I had 4 on my last car, you can go up to 16 iirc but why would you!!?
There is a phone option but my installer didn’t recommend using that as it wasn’t as secure?

It’s time insurance companies recognised that trackers are ineffective defence against the majority of car thieves and moved on to the same model as Belgium where Bearlock (a physical transmission lock) is mandatory on all vehicles over a certain cost (€40,000?). If you’re a Cali owner I recommend a call to theftstop.co.uk to get one fitted.
Looked at these myself, looks really good but ultimately relies on a key which doesn’t stop someone getting your keys one way or another.

Agree that a tracker might not stop a theft from happening, but the right tracker and monitoring service can hugely help to recover the vehicle. 28% of stolen cars were recovered in 2021, but when fitted with a tracker, the recovery rate is over 90%. Thieves are aware expensive cars may well have a tracker, so the modus operandi is reported as being, pinch the car, park it in a public car park for a few days, and see if anyone goes to reclaim it - or not. So recovered cars are often left undamaged.

I looked at the Bearlock, but opted not to go that way as the device can’t be removed easily if you sell the vehicle, it needs a key (so key theft isn’t protected), and it wasn’t recognised by the insurance companies as they said it hasn’t got a Thatcham approval..

I can’t help but think that too much information and knowledge is not always a good thing! There are lots of things out there on this life that could get you any minute….. I prefer to stick with my mantra that my dad passed down to me (he stole it from somewhere else) ……

‘A life lived in fear is a life half lived’

Try not to stress out about it, just enjoy it!

I work on the basis that if it hasn’t actually happened to me (yet) then I’ll worry about when (and if) it ever does! I have never yet had a car stolen or broken into or even know anyone personally who has……. and that is over 46 years of driving.

I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, just trying to introduce a little perspective :)

I needed a tracker fitted to meet insurance requirements, I ended up with Adrian Flux but didn't go with their recommended installer, who I have to say was a bit full-on trying to upsell me. I purchased a Scorpion Track thingy online which included fitting and saved £300. If you're based in Norfolk I can recommend Simon @Automotive East Ltd, he had the dashboard off (which freaked me out) wired in, and all back together within 30 minutes.

Never had a tracker before so I've found it fascinating going on the app and tracking my every movement.

So just been chatting to NFU who were really nice. Their quote just stipulated that the vehicle must have a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser fitted. Any idea if this is standard on the Ocean?
Their price was very good too, lower than the Aviva quotes (AIB, Comfort, Think)

So just been chatting to NFU who were really nice. Their quote just stipulated that the vehicle must have a Thatcham Category 2 immobiliser fitted. Any idea if this is standard on the Ocean?
Their price was very good too, lower than the Aviva quotes (AIB, Comfort, Think)
You have a Thatcham Category 1 system - Alarm + Immobiliser

78DE5C54-C271-4594-B1DC-39AC50EA18AE.jpeg

You have a Thatcham Category 1 system - Alarm + Immobiliser

View attachment 100400
Eurovans Crawley recently advised that the Thatcham Category 1 immobiliser, which my new Ocean will come with, is "better" than Category 2. I repeated this to NFU Mutual two weeks ago, and they (and underwriters) apparently accepted this.

The insert above from WG says:

• Each vehicle is rated for its Security on a scale of 1 star for the worst to 5 stars for the most secure.
But I have failed to get any "stars" against a 2022 Ocean and am left confused, I assume the 'Categories 1- 5' are different to the 'Stars 1-5'.

PhilR could you keep this string advised on what NFU agree in your case, please?

Last edited:
Eurovans Crawley recently advised that the Thatcham Category 1 immobiliser, which my new Ocean will come with, is "better" than Category 2. I repeated this to NFU Mutual two weeks ago, and they (and underwriters) apparently accepted this.

The insert above from WG says:

• Each vehicle is rated for its Security on a scale of 1 star for the worst to 5 stars for the most secure.
But I have failed to get any "stars" against a 2022 Ocean and am left confused, I assume the 'Categories 1- 5' are different to the 'Stars 1-5'.

Could you keep this string advised on what NFU agree in your case, please?
Shows you what “ Dave “ knows. Zilch.
An immobiliser is an immobiliser. The modern system requires a “chip” coded to the vehicle to be detected for the ignition circuit and function to be activated.
The security star rating relates to the “ whole vehicle “ security, immobiliser, locks, alarms for doors/movement internal / movement external and extras like Towbar/trailer etc.

I can’t help but think that too much information and knowledge is not always a good thing! There are lots of things out there on this life that could get you any minute….. I prefer to stick with my mantra that my dad passed down to me (he stole it from somewhere else) ……

‘A life lived in fear is a life half lived’

Try not to stress out about it, just enjoy it!

I work on the basis that if it hasn’t actually happened to me (yet) then I’ll worry about when (and if) it ever does! I have never yet had a car stolen or broken into or even know anyone personally who has……. and that is over 46 years of driving.

I’m not suggesting it doesn’t happen, just trying to introduce a little perspective :)
I don’t disagree with you, living in fear can be disabling. However this thread is about insurance and trackers, and the requirement from certain insurers to have trackers installed. I think the discussion is a healthy one, and this should inform and assist forum members. Heeding what insurers are looking for in my book are in my opinion in the category of “sensible precautions”, after all, they have all the data.

We had a BearLock fitted some time ago as we preferred it to Ghost, very happy with it, simple to use and effective.

Eurovans Crawley recently advised that the Thatcham Category 1 immobiliser, which my new Ocean will come with, is "better" than Category 2….PhilR could you keep this string advised on what NFU agree in your case, please?
Will certainly do

I had exactly the same conversation today and was wondering what came as standard. If I read the info from @WelshGas correctly I think Cat 1 trumps Cat 2 .
I will also look to confirm with NFU

We are also looking for insurance and same dilemma

So far A plan have requested a tracker

NFU no tracker required but do need a Cat2 immobiliser.

Similar pricing from both