Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance and Trackers

We’ve just tried caravan and motorhome club, they said the annual mileage is restricted to 12,000 and they require a tracker as the value exceeds £50,000.

Last edited:
We’ve just tried caravan and motorhome club, they said the annual mileage is restricted to 12,000 and they require a tracker as the value exceeds £50,000.
I had a similar response re tracker needed, but not the restricted mileage, that’s bizarre, not heard that. Don’t they want people to tour and stay at their sites ?! CAMC were the second most expensive though at around £1000. I really did fancy their policy as it was very camping oriented, and great reviews from users on this forum, but not at that cost. I think they use Axa, which was also v expensive.

NFU get my vote too. I am awaiting delivery this month of my Ocean, and - getting a quote so I am ready - my existing insurer of many years IAM Assurance fell well short on the California but NFU Mutual (who already insured my Series 1 LandRover) came up trumps, with lots of advantages ( built in near gap insurance, recovery, unlimited European cover etc etc) and a good price.
I never thought to get a quote from NFU.

TBH just the Blue one I saw last week and the thieves stole the key while they were asleep. Never heard of an actual real other one apart from rumours, I heard and my mate said guff.

There are others on this forum if you see new posts coming in. Typically the thief steals the key from the house. We’ve a tracker plus an after market immobiliser. Hopefully our precautions would stop this.

That said, very impressed with our tracker company. On the way back from a channel port this year, stopped at services and we tried to start the van but the phone / app didn’t respond. Cut a long story short, when we contacted the tracker company, they were already tracking the van and about to contact Plod. When I gave my details the lady responded that she was very relieved and was able to centrally disable the immobiliser to get us on the road again. Okay, it was annoying for an hour or so, but also it great comfort that they were really on it.

When folks say “it never happens” just look at the data on vehicle thefts regarding newer models, they’re staggering!

There are others on this forum if you see new posts coming in. Typically the thief steals the key from the house. We’ve a tracker plus an after market immobiliser. Hopefully our precautions would stop this.

That said, very impressed with our tracker company. On the way back from a channel port this year, stopped at services and we tried to start the van but the phone / app didn’t respond. Cut a long story short, when we contacted the tracker company, they were already tracking the van and about to contact Plod. When I gave my details the lady responded that she was very relieved and was able to centrally disable the immobiliser to get us on the road again. Okay, it was annoying for an hour or so, but also it great comfort that they were really on it.

When folks say “it never happens” just look at the data on vehicle thefts regarding newer models, they’re staggering!
Sounds a great experience. Fitted my Blackvue today so I’m on the “safety track of fear”.

I’d have to positively challenge back on the last comment. I’ve looked at the official ONS data a few times every time this crops up on a thread and I can’t find anything in the numbers to back up a “staggering amount of thefts of new models” outside of headline articles that point to no data.

Happy to be pointed in the right direction.

I don’t want a tracker, and won’t use an insurer that forces me to have one. It’s not just the cost, I just don’t want the van back if some oik has taken it. Even if it’s not badly damaged it just wont be the same again. I am still smarting from the experience of my Cavalier SRI 130 - great car, or at least it’s as to me at the time -being stolen in York in 1993, and recovered a couple of days later on the edge of a travellers site. Turns out they couldn’t spell Squaddie, or Bastard for that matter; at least that’s what I think was scratched into the paintwork. Trashed but put back together by the insurance company, but just wasn't my car after that.
If it’s gone, I want it to stay that way
And I don’t see the point in a Ghost. Would rather they took the van than threaten the family, or me for that matter, to get it started. Just not worth it.
Good insurance is what you need and if the highly unlikely happens, get a new van.

LV. Cheapest (for me) by a country mile and zero stipulation on trackers etc.
I’m with LV through a broker and tracker wax a require due to value of GC

I’m with LV through a broker and tracker wax a require due to value of GC
Not here so maybe there is a higher limit than the 75-80 for a Cali. Or maybe it was because of the broker. I went direct as our Tiguan is also with them which earned us an extra multi-car discount.

I don’t want a tracker, and won’t use an insurer that forces me to have one. It’s not just the cost, I just don’t want the van back if some oik has taken it. Even if it’s not badly damaged it just wont be the same again. I am still smarting from the experience of my Cavalier SRI 130 - great car, or at least it’s as to me at the time -being stolen in York in 1993, and recovered a couple of days later on the edge of a travellers site. Turns out they couldn’t spell Squaddie, or Bastard for that matter; at least that’s what I think was scratched into the paintwork. Trashed but put back together by the insurance company, but just wasn't my car after that.
If it’s gone, I want it to stay that way
And I don’t see the point in a Ghost. Would rather they took the van than threaten the family, or me for that matter, to get it started. Just not worth it.
Good insurance is what you need and if the highly unlikely happens, get a new van.
A really good point. I don’t think I would want my car back after it was stolen. I few years ago my local Audi dealer had their RS3 demo stolen. It was recovered the next day but they would not sell it on their forecourt. The reason being that they could not guarantee that it had not been tampered with.
Good insurance is worth it. My wife had a claim just before Christmas last year and it was all dealt with very well by LV and we renewed with them after the claim.

Hi All. Can anyone recommend a good insurance company for our new Cali due any day. It’s also been suggested that a Tracker makes a big reduction to the premium. If it does can anyone recommend a system and give us some idea what it costs. Thanks as always D & B
I would tty
Hi All. Can anyone recommend a good insurance company for our new Cali due any day. It’s also been suggested that a Tracker makes a big reduction to the premium. If it does can anyone recommend a system and give us some idea what it costs. Thanks as always D & B
Definitely try LV. Very competitive and no silly restrictions or stipulations.

Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. We are inclining towards taking gap insurance and wondered what the consensus was on its desirability and whether it should influence the insurance/tracker decision.
Don’t buy gap from dealers
Shop around
Huge dealer commissions on gap

A really good point. I don’t think I would want my car back after it was stolen. I few years ago my local Audi dealer had their RS3 demo stolen. It was recovered the next day but they would not sell it on their forecourt. The reason being that they could not guarantee that it had not been tampered with.

The dealer would not sell it as it would have been marked as stolen on the insurance database (cat X if no damage), so resale value would have been less…so most likely would have gone to auction.

The dealer would not sell it as it would have been marked as stolen on the insurance database (cat X if no damage), so resale value would have been less…so most likely would have gone to auction.
It only gets marked on the database if there's an insurance payout. If its recovered the next day with say broken ignition lock & window, chances are its not recorded.

Sounds a great experience. Fitted my Blackvue today so I’m on the “safety track of fear”.

I’d have to positively challenge back on the last comment. I’ve looked at the official ONS data a few times every time this crops up on a thread and I can’t find anything in the numbers to back up a “staggering amount of thefts of new models” outside of headline articles that point to no data.

Happy to be pointed in the right direction.
So far as I can see, Home Office stats suggest the total number of car thefts have dropped over the past 15 years from a high point in 2006. Health warning over stats though, the Home Office are recording thefts in a different way, and there could be beer reporting. The frequency might have dropped, but the value of the cars stolen has increased with more newer models being taken, either to sell on as a whole car, or more recently, broken down to sell as parts.

The nature of thefts has changed as well, from the old brick through a window and hot wire, to more sophisticated means.

Here’s a video report - which concludes on the use of immobilisers and trackers.

I do accept that statistically you’re unlikely to be a victim of car crime, but, I’d like to rebalance the stats more in our favour.

So far as I can see, Home Office stats suggest the total number of car thefts have dropped over the past 15 years from a high point in 2006. Health warning over stats though, the Home Office are recording thefts in a different way, and there could be beer reporting. The frequency might have dropped, but the value of the cars stolen has increased with more newer models being taken, either to sell on as a whole car, or more recently, broken down to sell as parts.

The nature of thefts has changed as well, from the old brick through a window and hot wire, to more sophisticated means.

Here’s a video report - which concludes on the use of immobilisers and trackers.

I do accept that statistically you’re unlikely to be a victim of car crime, but, I’d like to rebalance the stats more in our favour.
Seen the fleet news piece - it's a little vague and incorrectly words thefts from and of vehicles as "vehicle thefts" but the point is valid. Ghost I could live with. Most other elements mainly for the drivers benefit and not the thief. Best anti-theft method is to lock your car and make sure it's locked and keep the keys somewhere that is not obvious.

NFU we found was the best insurance on our new Ocean as it offered two year replacement and cap in the quote plus other extras; most importantly they are run from the local office and their response to enquires is excellent .

Well this is fun, not! I've tried getting online quotes but after spending ages putting in the details it just comes back as "unable to quote, please call....". So I've spent the last 2 hours on the phone....CAMC, after 20 minutes on the phone said they won't insure me as I have no Motorhome No Claims, but I've got maximum discount from my car. They also said it was because of the value of the Ocean (£83k at todays prices). I tried Comfort who were decent but insist on a Tracker. AIB were the same. LV online quote worked and looked ok, but could do with some more quotes. Just waiting on Think and Caravan & Camping Club to come back to me. I'll try NFU too.
I'm going to get Ghost fitted for sure, had it on a previous car and the peace of mind it gives is worth it alone, but I see Ghost have a deal if you have a Tracker fitted too, so I may go for that....

Well this is fun, not! I've tried getting online quotes but after spending ages putting in the details it just comes back as "unable to quote, please call....". So I've spent the last 2 hours on the phone....CAMC, after 20 minutes on the phone said they won't insure me as I have no Motorhome No Claims, but I've got maximum discount from my car. They also said it was because of the value of the Ocean (£83k at todays prices). I tried Comfort who were decent but insist on a Tracker. AIB were the same. LV online quote worked and looked ok, but could do with some more quotes. Just waiting on Think and Caravan & Camping Club to come back to me. I'll try NFU too.
I'm going to get Ghost fitted for sure, had it on a previous car and the peace of mind it gives is worth it alone, but I see Ghost have a deal if you have a Tracker fitted too, so I may go for that....

Try Admiral multicar.

I don’t understand CAMC not quoting - there are even More expensive motor homes around. Camping & Caravan Club we’re v expensive for us. If this for a brand new Cali you might be interested in the ‘new for old’ benefits from Comfort and AIB ( might be others).

Regarding trackers, I found the category choices tricky to enter when doing online quotes, so I picked up the phone to them all.

Spoken with NFU this afternoon, bit old fashioned over the phone rather than online, but very helpful, quote was very similar if not slightly cheaper than LV, have asked for a copy of the policy to see what’s included or exclude. Two year new for old is a good addition, also included RAC cover but not much use as will also have VW assist.

Spoken with NFU this afternoon, bit old fashioned over the phone rather than online, but very helpful, quote was very similar if not slightly cheaper than LV, have asked for a copy of the policy to see what’s included or exclude. Two year new for old is a good addition, also included RAC cover but not much use as will also have VW assist.
Sounds good - I may give NFU a whirl next year to see if they’re comparable to Comfort. Don’t forget RAC covers you in other cars too.

Does VW Assist on a new Cali cover Europe too, and is it any good?

You could ask for the RAC cover to be deleted from the policy. Should save you approx £80 on the premium.

Does VW Assist on a new Cali cover Europe too, and is it any good?
Yes it covers EU - I called and checked. However, forum members have had mixed results including at least one horror story. The policy also has a few weasel words when it comes to choosing to repair in the country, repatriation of the van, etc “At our absolute discretion”. When we went to France I took out a separate EU policy with Green Flag just to be sure (not sure who I’d call if we did break down though!).

Ok so this is now officially very frustrating! I’m now researching Trackers. Didn’t really want one as I’m definitely getting Ghost fitted, but not having a Tracker is limiting the insurance options, and will continue to do so each year. So do I get a basic, insurance friendly tracker or just bite the bullet and get a decent one whilst I’m at it??? Think I’ll have to do some searching on S5 vs S7……… :headbang