Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best insurance cover/company

Gelato

Gelato

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Sorry to ask I am sure this is posted regularly, who is the best insurance company for California’s. We are hoping to order our first California T6.1 Ocean and want to look into insurance, no idea what the premium will be - but worried with the price of the vehicle high already!! Presently insured with Admiral on the dual policy which covers our Yeti and my wife’s car. We are both over 50 and the California will be parked on our drive in hopefully a fairly safe little town. Looking to have extra security added, originally thinking tracker and the Autowatch Ghost system but think people suggest just one not both. Hopefully this would help with the premium.

Any other tips on getting the premium low, will only be used for pleasure, used abroad?

Thanks for any advice/guidance

Try all the usual candidates Comfort ,safeguard ,Nfu, caravan club even VW

Try AIB insurance, their details are available via the club. Tell them you are (if you are) a member of the Vwcc for a discount.

Justkampers insurance is very good & claims handling is very efficient.

Get a quote from Admiral if you're already with them. I had 10 months left on my policy and it only cost £20 to switch from Land Rover to a new Cali a few months ago.

Sorry to ask I am sure this is posted regularly, who is the best insurance company for California’s. We are hoping to order our first California T6.1 Ocean and want to look into insurance, no idea what the premium will be - but worried with the price of the vehicle high already!! Presently insured with Admiral on the dual policy which covers our Yeti and my wife’s car. We are both over 50 and the California will be parked on our drive in hopefully a fairly safe little town. Looking to have extra security added, originally thinking tracker and the Autowatch Ghost system but think people suggest just one not both. Hopefully this would help with the premium.

Any other tips on getting the premium low, will only be used for pleasure, used abroad?

See all the above, but if it is a new factory order then some companies will offer New for Old for the 1st and/or 2nd year thus no need for GAP insurance. Caravan & Motorhome do this. Not the cheapest but everything covered including accidents when camping. Some other companies , mainly car insurance, may not cover camping accidents or equipment to a sufficient level.

Just moved after a single year with LV.

No problems with service or cover, just the renewal quote quite a bit higher than we expected, so we've transferred to Admiral, on a multi car policy with my daughters runaround..... very competitive pricing :thumb

Would get a quote before getting a lot security devices fitted if insurance premiums are your main motivation - be surprised if you quote from Admiral was much more than £300 !

Just adding my two-pence worth as a later update - I have just taken out insurance with Aviva through AIB - fantastic deal and seems to cover everything Safeguard would but about £150 cheaper. European breakdown cover also included. Ross was a pleasure to deal with... No idea if I'll find later down the line it's missing something I want but it seems very comprehensive and excited to be getting my new Cali next week! New for old for 3years which is great. £583 still seems a lot but nowhere else came anywhere close so strikes me as a good deal in my circumstances anyway!

Just adding my two-pence worth as a later update - I have just taken out insurance with Aviva through AIB - fantastic deal and seems to cover everything Safeguard would but about £150 cheaper. European breakdown cover also included. Ross was a pleasure to deal with... No idea if I'll find later down the line it's missing something I want but it seems very comprehensive and excited to be getting my new Cali next week! New for old for 3years which is great. £583 still seems a lot but nowhere else came anywhere close so strikes me as a good deal in my circumstances anyway!
Like with any insurance everyone is different. Age, claims. Area you live. Mileage. Value of vehicle. How many drivers and their ages. Add them all up and there can be £100s difference.

We went for LV in the end they were very competitive. Some Insurers exclude fire damage from cooking etc. so you need to be careful.
Having worked in insurance for many years, the value of the vehicle is not the major rating factor, most of the risk is from the liability element. As an older driver living in a low risk area I pay less for my California insurance than my 30 something kids pay for their family cars.

We've just gone with Comfort after reading recommendations on here.

There were a few issues with collection and they were fab. Possibly the nicest people we've ever had a quote from over the phone. New for old cover, very competitive. Very clear too.

We went for LV in the end they were very competitive. Some Insurers exclude fire damage from cooking etc. so you need to be careful.
Having worked in insurance for many years, the value of the vehicle is not the major rating factor, most of the risk is from the liability element. As an older driver living in a low risk area I pay less for my California insurance than my 30 something kids pay for their family cars.
We also are with LV. We reinsured yesterday. When I looked around yes I found others with slightly cheaper quotes but when it came to driving abroad most of the others wanted to charge extra for comprehensive cover overseas. With LV it’s standard. Plus we are on a multi car policy and it works out good value.

I'm with Comfort and have no complaints. I haven't needed to claim but they're friendly and efficient at answering the phone and taking my money. They were one of the only companies which would insure me as we don't have a driveway so park on the road outside our house (which must be too risky for other companies to accept).

I'm with Comfort and have no complaints. I haven't needed to claim but they're friendly and efficient at answering the phone and taking my money. They were one of the only companies which would insure me as we don't have a driveway so park on the road outside our house (which must be too risky for other companies to accept).
All insurance companies are efficient at taking your money....

"Comfort not interested if vehicle not on your drive, will not insure parking on road, what a waste of space".
Quote from @Mowbotman #107 in thread "Best insurance to go for on a new California Ocean"

This just shows what a mine field insurance is. One man's meat is another man's poison.