Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Insurance via the Caravan and Motorhome Club?

Yes. My comments stand.

Your thread was about bringing pressure to bear on the DVLA to change the California's V5 - Body Type back.

I'm not interested in how the DVLA wants to classify the California's body type. As long as I can continue to use it in the manner that I have always done, they can call it a Flying Saucer for all I care.

Any issues thrown up by insurance companies are usually to suit their own purposes i.e £££. If there are any issues, then I suspect they may try to cite a change of perceived risk involved in owning an MPV as the reason. If they do then that would be codswallop. Anyone like me, who has owned a pre MPV Cali and now owns a MY19 MPV California will not have changed the way they use it just because the DVLA have changed the body type classification. Of course, there may be other reasons but none have come to light so far.

It is also worth noting that of the five insurance providers that I contacted only the Caravan and Motorhome Club's broker (Devitt) said they wouldn't insure an MPV........and even they caved in when challenged. The rest didn't mention the MPV thing at all. All offered cover of some degree or other.

My thread was intended to show two things:
1. The best way for an insurance provider to treat a loyal customer in order to ensure they go elsewhere and
2. Just how difficult it is to get the right cover at a reasonable cost.
My thread was partly insurance like you due to the change in classification on my Cali and like you 5 long calls later I eventually found suitable insurance so now you now appreciate the stressful situation we have been put in due to reclassification.

Maybe you may not now be so dismissive as you were in you original comments.

My thread was partly insurance like you due to the change in classification on my Cali and like you 5 long calls later I eventually found suitable insurance so now you now appreciate the stressful situation we have been put in due to reclassification.

Maybe you may not now be so dismissive as you were in you original comments.

You may well be upset about my "dismissive" comments on your thread but as I have already said, those comments stand. Just to remind you, they were:

"It 's left me with the following thoughts:
1. Why not find an insurance company that will insure the whole vehicle and then get on with life?
2. What's written on the V5 will not effect resale values.
3. Unless I've missed it, where is the evidence that MY19 Beaches are being classed as motor caravans on the V5?"

Point one - I have had no problems obtaining quotes from all but one of the five insurance companies that I have spoken to so far. The exception quickly conceded that I was right and offered the cover that I requested. So contrary to your above statement, reclassification doesn't appear to be the significant issue that you say it is. I do however concede that you may have had a different experience. I'm certainly not aware of any owners with uninsurable Calis sitting on the driveways!

Points Two and Three - aren't relevant to this thread but never the less, they still stand.

May I suggest that phoning around for a quote is never stress free and my point about my original insurer nearly doubling my premium seems to be fairly standard practice. LV did that to us a couple of years ago on my wife's car and that hadn't had it's body type changed or anything else for that matter.

Maybe you may now realise that reclassification is merely a Red Herring.

Humble apologies you must be right on all accounts!!!

I think you're in the wrong club! I'm in the Camping and Caravanning Club, and when I bought my Cali 11 years ago, I insured it through their Clubcare Insurance scheme. It was about £250. By this year it had slowly risen to the dizzy heights of £320! I make that around 2.5% a year!

I think you're in the wrong club! I'm in the Camping and Caravanning Club, and when I bought my Cali 11 years ago, I insured it through their Clubcare Insurance scheme. It was about £250. By this year it had slowly risen to the dizzy heights of £320! I make that around 2.5% a year!
I’m not sure what bearing your statement has on question .
11 years ago the California was cheaper and it’s value has been dropping year on year since, yet your Insurance premiums have increased. So you are now paying more for a cheaper vehicle.
More significant would be cost of insuring a New California with Clubcare. It certainly wouldn’t be £250.

Hmm, I'm also in the CCC although I haven't tried Clubcare.

Actually I was quite happy with my previous policy until they got greedy. They even had the bare faced cheek to suggest I call them next year as they may be able to offer me a better rate as a new customer. After they'd let the cat out of the bag I advised them not to bank on that. Mind you this is a fairly common practice.

Anyway, I've spent enough time sorting out insurance for this year but I may try Clubcare when renewal is due.

Last edited:
would not insure our van without adding a traker
I must confess that I've always been in two minds about the worth of a tracker. Would I want it back if it got nicked? Anyway I felt that I had to do something so both of our previous Calis have had Vodaphone trackers. They cost a lot to fit and have annual subs of over £140!

This time, after consulting this excellent forum, I've adopted a belt and braces approach. I've gone for a Back2You Guardian wire less GPS Tracker and an Auto Ghost immobiliser. Excellent you would think except that the insurance companies I contacted either weren't bothered or didn't recognise either devise and demanded a wired in tracker with annual subs. Nothing like consistency!

Apparently having a tracker only reduces the premium by about 5%!

We've insured for the last two years with C&MC and pay just under £400 - a premium we're happy with. But as previously mentioned we never auto renew and I always shop around for new quotes on a 'like for like' basis with my current policy. I couldn't get anything less this year - in fact the C&CC quote was £1,200 for our Ocean!