Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Interior Trim Removal

M

Martyn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can anyone tell me how to remove the interior trim that goes around the window blinds? In this instance I'm talking about the rear offside blind. I have been been struggling with a recurrent tapping noise in the van for well over a year and it is slowly driving me mad. I'm pretty sure it is coming from inside that trim area and it might make sense - when I bought the van there was a problem with that particular rear blind and the garage fixed it, but I'm wondering exactly how they fixed it - there might be a broken clip or something under there.

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Can anyone tell me how to remove the interior trim that goes around the window blinds? In this instance I'm talking about the rear offside blind. I have been been struggling with a recurrent tapping noise in the van for well over a year and it is slowly driving me mad. I'm pretty sure it is coming from inside that trim area and it might make sense - when I bought the van there was a problem with that particular rear blind and the garage fixed it, but I'm wondering exactly how they fixed it - there might be a broken clip or something under there.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
T4/T5/T5.1 or T6 California SE/Ocean?

Can’t be a 4 WG, they don’t rattle ;)

For what it's worth - and purely for your interest - this tapping noise is very temperature-dependent. I've also noticed that when the vehicle hasn't been driven for a few days it "settles" and doesn't happen straight away, almost like whatever it is needs a bit of motion/warmth to dislodge it and start tapping again.

That's good of you thanks. It looks like it's those springclips 45 that keep the pillar trims in place, coupled with those clip/grommets 40/41, is that how it looks to you?

That's good of you thanks. It looks like it's those springclips 45 that keep the pillar trims in place, coupled with those clip/grommets 40/41, is that how it looks to you?
Yes, looks like it. A Trim removal tool or a flat blade screwdriver covered in tape should help.

Hi Martyn, not an answer to your question, but a pointer based on my experience. My car woukd make weird noises when braking and I was very very sure that the noise was coming from the front nearside brakes.

At the service, they changes both the rear brake discs and the noise is gone.

The noise was from the rear but when in the car, manifested itself as a noise from the front ... which is what I heard.

It may help for someone to be near the rear door to determine if the noise is actually from there before you rip it open.

Also, if there is any link as you say a rise in temperature/time, then it may help to look at other places such as the refrigerator or the gas bottle storage.

Also slide under the rear and see if there is anything obviously loose.

Hope this info helps.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Haven't there been reports of B pillar rattles?? if so is this noise too far away from that ?
Just a thought.

This would definitely fit the context of a B pillar rattle. Does anyone have any experience of this? Thanks for the info BTW.

Thanks in advance

Martyn
I had a similar tapping noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I couldn't find the source for ages until our eldest located it whilst traveling in the rear seat. In our case it was the metal rear door window blind bar/handle rattling against the hard rear door card. A couple of sticky felt pads stuck to the door card at each end of the blind bar to cushion it did the trick. It might be worth a try.

Last edited:
We have also had a drivers side B pillar rattle ever since I picked up our vehicle in 2016. SMG Tonbridge haven't been able to locate the source. After unsuccessfully trying out all sorts of remedies, today I think I might finally have traced our problem to the awning rail. I had previously looked at this on several occasions but discounted it as the main cause. Recently I convinced myself that it was coming from inside the B post and the top sliding door locating pin in particular. However, because the weather was positively springlike today I happened to be driving along with the drivers window open (something I rarely do) and could hear the same noise but louder. Reaching out to the awning I discovered that it was the awning cover rattling against the housing. Upon closer examination it would appear that when the awning is fully retracted with the rear end tightly closed, the front end is still slightly open, causing it to rattle when the vehicle goes over a bump. I had looked at this some time ago and discounted it however I think this may just prove to be the cause. The trouble is I don't think that there is any way of adjusting the awning role so that it retracts and houses tightly along its whole length. I may have to resort to strapping the front end tightly shut until I can speak to SMG about it. They fitted it (new) as it hadn't been on the original spec. If it can't be adjusted then it will have to be replaced.

The other issue that crops up from time are the awning arms. I've adjusted them to good effect but from time to time those rubber buffer pads become detached leading to more rattles. Not ideal. Has anyone tried packing the awning arms with something to prevent there movement in transit?

Last edited:
I had a similar tapping noise coming from somewhere in the rear. I couldn't find the source for ages until our eldest located it whilst traveling in the rear seat. In our case it was the metal rear door window blind bar/handle rattling against the hard rear door card. A couple of sticky felt pads stuck to the door card at each end of the blind bar to cushion it did the trick. It might be worth a try.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Just to clarify here - do you mean the rear offside blind or the blind in the tailgate? From what you describe, it sounds like the latter. I'll certainly be looking at that if so!

Going on to your other post about the awning, I have packed it with strips of light foam in an attempt to isolate this tapping/rattle. Didn't work I'm afraid, but you can definitely do it to restrict movement of the awning arms.

Martyn

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated. Just to clarify here - do you mean the rear offside blind or the blind in the tailgate? From what you describe, it sounds like the latter. I'll certainly be looking at that if so!

Going on to your other post about the awning, I have packed it with strips of light foam in an attempt to isolate this tapping/rattle. Didn't work I'm afraid, but you can definitely do it to restrict movement of the awning arms.

Martyn
My rattle was coming from the tailgate blind. Before it was identified, I too thought it was coming from high up on the rear offside. Rattles are always very difficult to locate probably because the sound bounces around the interior and is also conducted through the chassis giving a misleading impression of its source.

I agree, awning rattle issues are very difficult to eliminate. I've been trying for nearly two years without that much success. It was never an issue on our previous SE. That was factory fitted. Having said that, I believe that the awning cassette itself is as it comes from the manufacturer so shouldn't be effected by being fitted by the dealer. IMO it appears to be purely down to luck as to whether you get a good one or not.

This is overdue, but I thought I ought to report that I finally cured the rattle highlighted in this thread: It embarrasses me to say that it was actually the external "flap" of the awning, it just wasn't sitting properly and under certain motion circumstances would tap against the awning casing. I was convinced it was elsewhere, until I reached out of the window (yes, while driving) and held the awning casing. I could feel the tapping through the casing, exactly in sync with the noise.

There's lots of posts here on the forum about this issue, a shame I never picked up on them before!

Back