Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Tailgate tribulations - Can anyone help please?

So...Now you’ve got the nextbase all installed nicely...what do you think of it? Any good?

So...Now you’ve got the nextbase all installed nicely...what do you think of it? Any good?
Well I haven't driven the vehicle since I completed the fit and set up. I've been waiting for the replacement upper rear brake light to arrive. I fitted that today after postie eventually arrived. The poor chap looked rather exhausted nearing the end of his busy Christmas round.

Anyway, what are my first impressions of the Nextbase 522GW dash cam and rear camera?
Firstly, I've had Nextbase dash cams in our previous two Calis and we also have another in my wife's car. However they were all the previous generation model which I found rather fiddly and not that easy to navigate. The GW522 is much much better. It has a 3" touch screen with excellent instructions to guide you through the step by step set up. All the functions are carried out via the bright clear touch screen. This makes a pleasant change as the previous model has un-illuminated buttons which you can't see at night. The instructions are very simple and easy to both use and understand. I hate this sort of techy stuff so anything that is simple to operate gets my seal of approval.

It comes with lots if useful features such as a touch screen camera for taking stills. The video quality is excellent. Rather than me trying to explain all of these features it might be better to check out the many video reviews online. It is supposed to be one of the best dash cams on the market at the moment. It has Bluetooth, wifi, Alexa and even an SOS feature which will automatically contact the ambulance service with all your particulars should you be unresponsive after an accident. You have to load an app onto your mobile to use these though. I probably won't use these functions straight away as I don't really do mobiles and Mrs B's mobile is currently choked up with all sorts "usefull" info. I might have to get her an upgrade!

The only negative that I have discovered to date is the design of the rear camera. However, I have already mentioned that issue so I won't repeat myself.

Last edited:
Well I haven't driven the vehicle since I completed the fit and set up. I've been waiting for the replacement upper rear brake light to arrive. I fitted that today after postie eventually arrived. The poor chap looked rather exhausted nearing the end of his busy Christmas round.

Anyway, what are my first impressions of the Nextbase GW522 dash cam and rear camera?
Firstly, I've had Nextbase dash cams in our previous two Calis and we also have another in my wife's car. However they were all the previous generation model which I found rather fiddly and not that easy to navigate. The GW522 is much much better. It has a 3" touch screen with excellent instructions to guide you through the step by step set up instructions. All the functions are carried out via the bright clear touch screen. This makes a pleasant change as the previous model has un-illuminated buttons which you can't see at night. The instructions are very simple and easy to both use and understand. I hate this sort of techy stuff so anything that is simple to operate well gets my seal of approval.

It comes with lots if useful features such as a touch screen camera for taking stills. The video quality is excellent. Rather than me trying to explain all of these features it might be better to check out the many video reviews online. It is supposed to be one of the best dash cams on the market at the moment. It has Bluetooth, wifi, Alexa and even an SOS feature which will automatically contact the ambulance service with all your particulars should you be unresponsive after an accident. You have to load an app onto your mobile to use these though. I probably won't use these functions straight away as I don't really do mobiles and Mrs Bs mobile is currently choked up with all sorts "usefull" info. I might have to get her an upgrade!

The only negative that I have discovered to date is the design of the rear camera. However, I have already mentioned that issue so I won't repeat myself.

Glad you’ve got the light sorted.
You look to have done a really tidy install.
Must say I’m tempted by one myself especially since they are on sale again in Halfords, seems a lot of camera for the money.
Must try and resist lol

Glad you’ve got the light sorted.
You look to have done a really tidy install.
Must say I’m tempted by one myself especially since they are on sale again in Halfords, seems a lot of camera for the money.
Must try and resist lol
I bought mine several months ago from Halfords when they were on a special.

Some more thoughts regarding the rear camera.

I'm sure Nextbase could have designed something that looks a lot less like a lash up. IMO it looks like an after thought. A simple small self adhesive unit mounted near the top of the rear screen would look much better and be more practical in use. The wiring should exit this camera level with the surface of the glass in order that it can be tucked under trim without any great dramatic loops of cable. The current set up is vulnerable in that the cable is liable to get knocked either by the occupants during habitation or when loading/unloading the boot. When that happens the driver will either have to re-adjust the camera again to give the correct rear view (that is if he/she actually realises that it's been knocked asquew) or risk not having the footage he/she was expecting following an incident. I accidentally knocked it yesterday so have got to re-adjust before I drive it again. The only other alternative is to slick the magnetic eyeball camera to its mount.

Last edited:
? Start again’t Borris ? How many hours did it take in the end Borris ?
:D It seemed like days but I only worked on it when there were no grand children around and when ever the rain had stopped which hasn't been that often. About a day I suppose but I could do the whole thing in about two hours now though.

I'm about to fit a Brake light with Reversing Camera to a 2013 Beach. I think I've got my head around the upper rear door panel, but was wondering if you had any tips for routing the cable along the near side of the van?

I'm about to fit a Brake light with Reversing Camera to a 2013 Beach. I think I've got my head around the upper rear door panel, but was wondering if you had any tips for routing the cable along the near side of the van?

Near side is the easiest as there is sufficient gap behind the cupboards/kitchen. Just ensure that you zip tie the wires to existing wires or to any place along where you are able to.

Beyond the kitchen, you will find existing wiring going to under the passenger seat and other places. Follow that.

Unfortunately don't have any pics, but I am sure someone will come along with some detailed pics.

Near side is the easiest as there is sufficient gap behind the cupboards/kitchen. Just ensure that you zip tie the wires to existing wires or to any place along where you are able to.

Beyond the kitchen, you will find existing wiring going to under the passenger seat and other places. Follow that.

Unfortunately don't have any pics, but I am sure someone will come along with some detailed pics.

Thanks Kurienp,
it's a Beach, so in some respect it may be easier.
I had thought that going along the window top panel would be best, but I can see that you are right.
Much appreciated.

Thanks Kurienp,
I had thought that going along the window top panel would be best, but I can see that you are right.
Much appreciated.
When people fit solar they route the wire along the bottom on the trim panel below the window and into the Jack storage area. Apparently you can push the cable into the gap between panel and flooring

hope that’s helps

Down to the floor, at the rear, and then using a trim tool you should be able to push the wire under the trim on the Nearside to the rear of the front passenger . Under the carpet in the cabin and up into the Dashboard.

When people fit solar they route the wire along the bottom on the trim panel below the window and into the Jack storage area. Apparently you can push the cable into the gap between panel and flooring

hope that’s helps

hope that’s helps
Thank you.

Down to the floor, at the rear, and then using a trim tool you should be able to push the wire under the trim on the Nearside to the rear of the front passenger . Under the carpet in the cabin and up into the Dashboard.
I should have said it's the 4 seater Beach, but the principle is the same.
That's great thanks. Not sounding like a 3 day job now.

I should have said it's the 4 seater Beach, but the principle is the same.
That's great thanks. Not sounding like a 3 day job now.
If you search @Roger Donoghue he has some posts showing the routing of the solar wiring which should give you some ideas or search generally for fitting solar

Here’s a post showing the wire below the panel

Thanks Kurienp,
Much appreciated.

Whoops, apologies, did not notice that :) Well, Perfectos has got you covered there :thumb

I fitted a rear window cam to our 2019 Beach some months ago. There's a brief description of the cable run proceedure in post #35.

I fitted a rear window cam to our 2019 Beach some months ago. There's a brief description of the cable run proceedure in post #35.
Thanks Borris.
I think I have everything I need knowledge wise now.
The only thing that I'm not 100% sure about is removing the trim around the window on a T5.

Back