Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Internal Lights's

J

JCIRL

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi.
Purchase a 2009 Cali this year. A beauty.
New to the scene and have a question on internal lights. I'm beginning to think that normal for internal lights turn off after 10 min or so. Only stay on if I leave ignition on can't be good. If this correct is there a solution or a way of overriding the time. Seems a bit Irish. JC.

Hi and welcome on your first post.
If you tell witch light you are talking about , cabin or camping part , we can do bussiness....

If you open the sliding door , light goes on , leaving the door open afther a while the light turns off . You can turn it permanent off on the upper head midlle console but that also cuts out the lights on the front doors. These lights are powerd by the engine battery under the bonnet thats why the automatic turn off is build in.

The other lights behind the front seat ( camping area ) are all used by on/off button.(these lights are powerd by the lesure batts)

If you open the sliding door , light goes on , leaving the door open afther a while the light turns off . You can turn it permanent off on the upper head midlle console but that also cuts out the lights on the front doors. These lights are powerd by the engine battery under the bonnet)

The other lights behind the front seat ( camping area ) are all used by on/off button.(these lights are powerd by the lesure batts)
Thanks again. But all lights in campin area also turn off after 10 min. A little frustrating.

Thanks again. But all lights in campin area also turn off after 10 min. A little frustrating.
That's not right.
Has the previous owner been doing anything with the wiring?
All the lights behind the driving cabin should be wired to the Leisure Battery and only controlled by their individual switches and hence stay on if the switch is on.

Sounds as if someone has made some wiring changes.

If you open the sliding door , light goes on , leaving the door open afther a while the light turns off . You can turn it permanent off on the upper head midlle console but that also cuts out the lights on the front doors. These lights are powerd by the engine battery under the bonnet thats why the automatic turn off is build in.

Ya thats what I originally taught. But for some reason all my lights work on timer. The only way campin area lights will stay on is to leave ignition on all time or when lights go out flick ignition on and off.

That's not right.
Has the previous owner been doing anything with the wiring?
All the lights behind the driving cabin should be wired to the Leisure Battery and only controlled by their individual switches and hence stay on if the switch is on.

Sounds as if someone has made some wiring changes.
I best check with original owner. But good to know not normal.

I best check with original owner. But good to know not normal.
Be interesting to know how long he had it and if he had the same problem.
How many previous owners?

Does it have leisure batteries?
Good point. Maybe wired to an ignition feed to avoid the expense of replacing the Leisure Batteries.

They wouldn't, would they?

What about the diesel heater. Does that stay on or go off like the lights?

2 previous owners in U.K.
I see from the vehicle details that you have a 2009 180bhp Cali. I thought the 180 engine was fitted to 2010 models, 2009 had the 2.5L 174bhp engines. Not that should have any relevance to your problem, just intrigued. Please feel free to slag me off if my knowledge of the Cali history is incorrect.
:cheers

I see from the vehicle details that you have a 2009 180bhp Cali. I thought the 180 engine was fitted to 2010 models, 2009 had the 2.5L 174bhp engines. Not that should have any relevance to your problem, just intrigued. Please feel free to slag me off if my knowledge of the Cali history is incorrect.
Your correct - 2009 1.9 or 2.5 L engines.

Hi.
Purchase a 2009 Cali this year. A beauty.
New to the scene and have a question on internal lights. I'm beginning to think that normal for internal lights turn off after 10 min or so. Only stay on if I leave ignition on can't be good. If this correct is there a solution or a way of overriding the time. Seems a bit Irish. JC.
Hi there haven't seen anyone on here from Ireland .hows the California life going .i doubt if someone done anything with wiring .it might have always been like that from factory .strange things do happen from time to time .welcome

Hi there haven't seen anyone on here from Ireland .hows the California life going .i doubt if someone done anything with wiring .it might have always been like that from factory .strange things do happen from time to time .welcome
You mean the previous owners put up with the lights switching off after 10 minutes for 7 years and thought that was normal?
Having spent a considerable sum of money on buying a California I would hope that no owner would accept that as normal. I hope.

Hop
Hope not. Cali sleeping for winter only use at week ends. Not many over here.

Ur right. Updated Jc.

N

Never noticed or checked this. Any suggestions Jc
Does the Diesel Parking Heater work?

What voltage is shown on the Control Panel?

D
Does the Diesel Parking Heater work?

What voltage is shown on the Control Panel?
diesel night/internal heater seems to work when necessary. Not sure how voltage goes.

D

diesel night/internal heater seems to work when necessary. Not sure how voltage goes.
Ok. The Parking Heater works off the Leisure Batteries.

I would suggest the following.

Switch on Control Panel.
Check Voltage shown and Current drawn in amps.
Should be 12.7v and current 0.2amps if Leisure Batteries are fully charged and nothing On in the Habitation area.

Now turn on All the lights in the Habitation area, 3 over the cooker, 2 over sliding door and 1 on the overhead locker at the rear.

What is the Voltage and current draw shown on the Control Panel.

If there is no change then the lights are mis-wired somewhere.

Ok. The Parking Heater works off the Leisure Batteries.

I would suggest the following.

Switch on Control Panel.
Check Voltage shown and Current drawn in amps.
Should be 12.7v and current 0.2amps if Leisure Batteries are fully charged and nothing On in the Habitation area.

Now turn on All the lights in the Habitation area, 3 over the cooker, 2 over sliding door and 1 on the overhead locker at the rear.

What is the Voltage and current draw shown on the Control Panel.

If there is no change then the lights are mis-wired somewhere.
Cheers again. When I got first I had a water leak after a bit of tracing found out lhs front pillar cover was blocking water drain pipe from roof. When cover off noticed single red and white heavy wire had been installed. Asked previous owner and said he had a problem with some fuses blowing. Just wondering if he got it wrong and this wire coming from ignition to power lights ??