Internet Booking Fee

motacyclist

motacyclist

Colin
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Just browsing for somewhere to stay for a couple of nights and thought of the NT camp sites in the Lake District. I found one I like, but when I went to book it there was a charge of £2.50 added on "Internet Booking Fee"

Just another way of getting more money out of us? :mad:

I hope it doesn't start to spread to other sites.

I'll just go on spec and find somewhere else if they are full!

We have found this at quite a few sites recently!!

Worst offender that I have found is Tristram in Polzeath, they charge a £10 booking fee!

Last edited:
We won't be introducing anything like that. It's ridiculous as it takes less effort to accept bookings via the net than any other method. I can only presume that the sites concerned have entered into agreements with booking providers who charge either fixed fee per booking or a percentage of booking value. Ours is a fixed monthly fee regardless of how many bookings we take.

We also don't charge anything extra for credit cards. The park we stayed on last week charged 2% on top. I didn't have a problem with the £22 nightly fee, but the 48p on top left a slightly sour taste. Wouldn't have thought anything of it being £22.50 with no c.card fee.

The rather excellent and excellently-locatd site in Glen Nevis does a £10 booking fee.
It's very popular during holiday times and a booking fee is the only way a EHU can be guaranteed they say.
We've only used it during slack times and never had a problem getting a EHU without booking.

It's probably different when you want to stay a week or something on one site (but then: why drive a Cali, and not use a caravan?), but we hardly ever book a place in advance. Only when it's critical, like when you come off a ferry late at night (say, 22:00) and you want to make sure you have a place for the first night near the ferry without having to look for it.
Normally, when we feel like it's the end of a day, we just open Google Maps on our phone, and look for what camp sites are around where we are, choose one we like, and drive there. We typically look for small sites, farm sites, etc, not holiday resorts and such. Hardly ever was there a problem finding a place for one or two nights like this. A Cali does not need more space than a tent, is light enough not to need a hardened surface to stand on, and for one or two nights you really do not need EHU. There is always a little spot like that! And in the rare case there isn't: then we drive on to the next site we like on Google Maps!
No advance booking fees for us!

I don't think I see campsites on Google maps- is there a setting?
location services on and then when Google Maps has found your location and displays the map you do a search for 'camping'. Then it displays known camp sites on the map near you. You can click on them to view known details, photo's, web site, reviews, etc.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

Last edited:
7a00ac72b20801ed110c7252ed359e2e.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

Wonderful Bart, can you go left a bit. We used to live in Harmelen. Thinking of a trip back down memory lane in the near future!

Only kidding about left a bit, I'll take a look myself.

Do you live around Utrecht?

And as a PS we use google amongst many other resouces to find the most interesting sites.

And as a PS we use google amongst many other resouces to find the most interesting sites.
Certainly, there are many specific camp site apps, but Google Maps we find is a good start and quite often the most comprehensive :thumb

£10 booking fee is a bit much, unless it's refundable?

Archie's Campsites and or ACSI on the RNS 510. Working great on my trip.