Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Inverter Plug Type

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi,
Can anyone advise me what plug to buy that fits in the inverter socket in my Cali SE 2008, I'm just after a three pin uk plug outlet, I'm not sure what type to ask for?, also who is the best supplier to obtain one from, I'm sure my answer must be on the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it...... thanks Janno

Hi,
Can anyone advise me what plug to buy that fits in the inverter socket in my Cali SE 2008, I'm just after a three pin uk plug outlet, I'm not sure what type to ask for?, also who is the best supplier to obtain one from, I'm sure my answer must be on the forum somewhere but I can't seem to find it...... thanks Janno
What do you plan to run from this socket as it is only rated at 150 watts.

This will fit. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0012SN46G/?tag=eliteelect-21

Hi Welshgas, thank you once again for your help Bud, I was going to use the inverter socket to charge a laptop + shaver etc just if we didn't get campsite 240v mains for a couple of weeks.....will order one of the plugs you recommended.. Thanks again Janno

I made up an extension lead from a two pin plug (via fleabay) and a trailing socket. However my laptop drew more than 6A (according to the Cali display) before I hurriedly unplugged it! The 150w limit of the inverter should be less than 0.7A, so it looks like i need EHU if I want to charge my laptop when I'm away...

Charles

I made up an extension lead from a two pin plug (via fleabay) and a trailing socket. However my laptop drew more than 6A (according to the Cali display) before I hurriedly unplugged it! The 150w limit of the inverter should be less than 0.7A, so it looks like i need EHU if I want to charge my laptop when I'm away...

Charles
Thanks for that info erbster, I'll have to seriously look at what I can and cannot plug into the inverter socket

I'd be very surprised if your laptop power brick actually draws 6A. Mine (a bog-standard Toshiba) is rated nominally at 1.3A but obv it will vary with the input voltage eg 100 to 240v depending on where in the world you're using it. Anyway it charges up fine from the inverter. I think most laptop chargers draw between 50 and 100w.

Incidentally, in case you're unaware, it's important to unplug the adapter/extension cable or whatever from the intverter socket when you;re not using it otherwise the inverter will keep running.

I'd be very surprised if your laptop power brick actually draws 6A. Mine (a bog-standard Toshiba) is rated nominally at 1.3A but obv it will vary with the input voltage eg 100 to 240v depending on where in the world you're using it. Anyway it charges up fine from the inverter. I think most laptop chargers draw between 50 and 100w.

Incidentally, in case you're unaware, it's important to unplug the adapter/extension cable or whatever from the intverter socket when you;re not using it otherwise the inverter will keep running.
Hi Velma's Dad, Thank-you for that information especially re removing the plug when not in use....

Thanks for that info erbster, I'll have to seriously look at what I can and cannot plug into the inverter socket
If your laptop is an Apple product then it may not like the AC wave form put out by the Inverter, so may not charge. Also, it is a very inefficient way to charge any electrical item as you are basically converting 12v to 240v via the Inverter and then 240v to 12,15,19v via your Charger.
The Inverter is inefficient and produces heat thus using extra power. It would be more efficient to get a 12v charger, that plugs directly into the 12v socket, for your particular laptop. Many on eBay and Amazon.

If your laptop is an Apple product then it may not like the AC wave form put out by the Inverter, so may not charge. Also, it is a very inefficient way to charge any electrical item as you are basically converting 12v to 240v via the Inverter and then 240v to 12,15,19v via your Charger.
The Inverter is inefficient and produces heat thus using extra power. It would be more efficient to get a 12v charger, that plugs directly into the 12v socket, for your particular laptop. Many on eBay and Amazon.
Thanks for the further info Welshgas.......mmmm makes you wonder why VW fitted them in the first place, but I can understand where you're coming from......ps thinking of bringing the Cali over to "The Valleys" during the summer .....thanks again Janno

mmmm makes you wonder why VW fitted them in the first place,

Yes with so many of our gadgets nowadays powered by USB, I can see a time when VW will stop fitting the inverter. But I do find I use mine more than once in a while, eg for camera battery charger, and even a printer once. It may not be the most efficient system, but it's a very useful standby IMO.

BTW I just thought through again what Erbster said about his charger drawing 6A on the display. Actually that does make sense because it would be talking about 6A at 12v (ie 72 watts), not 6A at 240v (which would be hairdryer territory). That is I assume also after inverter losses. So if the Cali leisure batteries are, I think, 2 x 75Ah - you could presumably run that laptop charger through the inverter for 12.5 hours hours before the batteries were 50% drained.

Can a grown-up check my facts/logic on that though, please?

Ah-ha! I wondered why the draw was so high- that makes sense to me.

The inverter appeared to draw about 0.4A with only the extension lead plugged in.

I can find no 12V charger for my laptop (Apple MacBook Pro 15"), hence my interest in the inverter (I realise it's very inefficient).

It did appear to charge the laptop for the short time I had it all connected.

Agree with posts about little point in inverter, since most gadgets are readily charged via 12V, though for the few that I have not been able to find low voltage chargers, really useful (e.g. SLR camera battery charger).

Charles

Thanks for the further info Welshgas.......mmmm makes you wonder why VW fitted them in the first place, but I can understand where you're coming from......ps thinking of bringing the Cali over to "The Valleys" during the summer .....thanks again Janno
I use mine for this.
IMG_0257.jpg

The inverter appeared to draw about 0.4A with only the extension lead plugged in.

I can find no 12V charger for my laptop (Apple MacBook Pro 15"), hence my interest in the inverter (I realise it's very inefficient).

Agree with posts about little point in inverter, since most gadgets are readily charged via 12V, though for the few that I have not been able to find low voltage chargers, really useful (e.g. SLR camera battery charger).

Charles

Charles
Gr
Great idea that Welsh gas.....those mozzies always make a meal of me........