Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help on power

llackford

llackford

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Hi All,

So this is likely to have been done time and time again, so I'm really sorry to ask... i have looked but can't see the answer I'm looking for?

I have been in the van tonight prepping for a little trip away coming up, and well i was wondering...

The mains (UK Style) socket only works when connected to the hookup yes? or dose this work on the leisure battery also?

The 12v outlet works off the leisure battery only yes?

The two pin (euro type plug) only works on the leisure battery yes? Also are their any adaptors that can buy to change over to a UK type plug?

Thank you all for your responses in advance :cool:

In answer to your questions.
1. Mains UK socket only on Hook Up.
2. All 12v sockets " should" work from Leisure Battery only, EXCEPT for the 12v socket in the Dashboard cup holder tray.
3. The 2 pin Inverter socket only works of the Leisure Battery. You can get adapted plugs for it but it is limited to 150watts only.

http://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=96

Am I right in saying anything in cab area is engine battery including pop up roof?

Alan

Am I right in saying anything in cab area is engine battery including pop up roof?

Alan

I belive so , but others one here have said the opposite....
Thats why i keep my engine running while operating the roof....what not many do .
I never had any battery issues whatever and others on here have....so each theire own way
But thats off topic;)

Last edited:

Alan
In the cab area the 12v socket on the dash is from the Leisure battery and for some people it is switched from the ignition. The socket in the cup holder is from the engine battery.
The socket behind the left hand seat on the cupboard is from the engine battery as well, for most people.
The socket under the sliding seat by the side door and the one at the very back in the luggage area are also from the leisure batteries.
I was told that the popup roof is from the Leisure battery, but the ignition must be on to operate it. There is certainly a voltage drop on the Leisure battery as you operate it, but there is a small change on the engine battery voltage as well.

Alan

Im not 100% on this but the dealer told me to make sure the engine was running when doing the roof?

Im not 100% on this but the dealer told me to make sure the engine was running when doing the roof?
Been debate on this before and I believe there was more than one opinion.

I shall be arriving on site.
Levelling van.
Roof up.
Engine off.

Mike

Alan
According to wiring diagrams I have seen the 12v socket on top of the Dashboard is supposed to be an "always on" powered from Leisure Battery. The 12v socket in the Cup Holder draw is an "always on" powered from the Engine Battery. ALL other 12v sockets are supposed to be powered from the Leisure Batteries.

HOWEVER, there does seem to be some variation so the best way is to check with a Voltmeter to be absolutely sure.

The Roof Hydraulic motor is powered from the Leisure Batteries BUT to avoid little fingers crushing their siblings in the roof space the Engine Ignition must be ON, VW presuming that only a responsible adult would be in possession of the Ignition Key.

Using the Roof with or without the engine running is debatable. On my vehicle if I attempt to Lower the roof with the Engine Running then I get a Control Panel Alarm telling me the Engine is Running and an Alarm Tone for about 15secs before the roof controls work. I don't see the point in that if the engine has to be running, 3 Dealers have given me conflicting views so I just follow the Handbook, which is supported by my Dealer.

I checked all my sockets and can confirm the above, cup holder socket is the only one connected to the engine, everything else should be leisure. That doesn't account for the odd anomaly (friday teatime build?) where the rear socket in rare cases is incorrectly wired to the vehicle battery.

I checked all my sockets and can confirm the above, cup holder socket is the only one connected to the engine, everything else should be leisure. That doesn't account for the odd anomaly (friday teatime build?) where the rear socket in rare cases is incorrectly wired to the vehicle battery.
There seem to be a fair number that have the socket on the sink unit "incorrectly" wired to the engine battery. I checked Borris' Cali this weekend, his was wired up the same as mine. I did speak to South Hereford and they checked a T6 that they had in the showroom and this was wired correctly.
Might be interesting to test some other T5s at one of the meets with a volt meter to get a better picture.
I assume it only applies to the SE or is there a socket there on the Beach as well @MattBW ?

Much talk of a socket on top of the dash - the only socket I have in the front is in the cup holder - is that because mine is a 2007 model?

Much talk of a socket on top of the dash - the only socket I have in the front is in the cup holder - is that because mine is a 2007 model?
Yes think they only started putting them in on the t5.1 facelift .

Dash top socket was fitted from about 2012 ish I think.

Yes, it must be newer as it doesn't exist on our 2008 model. Also, we don't have any UK 3-pin socket, only lozenge-shaped or round-shaped 2-pin Euro sockets. But we made up a 2 x UK multi-socket extension with a euro plug which makes things easier.