Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mattress topper - T6.1 roof bed

P

Persephone

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Lots of older posts on this, so I’m looking for more recent information.

We have a 6.1, and I’m looking to get a memory foam mattress topper for the roof bed to save my weary back. There’s plenty of options available but I’m wondering what depth topper people have managed to use without having to remove it to close the roof.

Thank you !

The answer for this I think always comes down to “what you feel most comfortable with”. I feel comfortable with no more than is there now so we happily deflate and remove our SIM that we sometimes use. Some leave the deflated SIM in. That said we find it OK up top with nothing, but horrendous down bottom so we have a duvalay topper for down sleeping trips, usually just when cold. Not sure anyone has a hard and fast answer tbh. The Duvalay we have down is the 5cm gold and at a push, without the existing mattress, it would probably compress fine in the roof. Not that I’ll ever try.

We’ve tried a range of options, but still keeping the original mattress as the base. The latest and best are 2x Duvalay Gold toppers, cut to 58cm width, which fit perfectly side by side, and they roll and pack away easily. We just would (edit) NOT risk damaging the roof by storing anything but the VW mattress in the roof.

Last edited:
We’ve tried a range of options, but still keeping the original mattress as the base. The latest and best are 2x Duvalay Gold toppers, cut to 58cm width, which fit perfectly side by side, and they roll and pack away easily. We just would risk damaging the roof by storing anything but the VW mattress in the roof.
That’s really helpful - thank you. I have seen these but not seen any feedback on them.

That’s really helpful - thank you. I have seen these but not seen any feedback on them.
They work on the bottom bed too if you need to sleep there, or you sleep one up top and one on the lower bed. Quite versatile, and best comfort sleep we’ve found (also tried a self inflating mattress).

We have the gold version for downstairs, https://www.duvalay.co.uk/campervans/vw-t5-t6-campervan-topper-comfort, but as @Hawthorn37 notes you can create your own.

Don't suddenly expect home levels of comfort, but it's a lot better. Our best nights sleep has still been on the SIM upstairs.

Also note while they roll, unless you store as you are hoping, it's a big old bag to carry around.

We have the gold version for downstairs, https://www.duvalay.co.uk/campervans/vw-t5-t6-campervan-topper-comfort, but as @Hawthorn37 notes you can create your own.

Also note while they roll, unless you store as you are hoping, it's a big old bag to carry around.
We bought our two 58cm toppers from Duvalay (at the NEC Camping and Caravanning Show). They come in a properly sized zipped cover, and compression straps. We didn’t want the one made for a campervan as they were big in the rolled up state, and expensive. The ‘slim singles’ worked out best for us.

We slide a selfinflating mattrass under the existing mattrass: comfortable and once deflated a small package.

We’re still faffing, Princess and the Pea style but think we are making progress. We’ve just put a Zone Sleep Ultra in the upstairs bed. The roof closes fine and there’s an air gap still. The Zone sleep does have a very open structure too to get some air around it.
I’ve just ordered a Simba topper for down stairs. I did visit the Duvalay showroom on the way to my mums at Christmas and tried various options in the van which helps making an informed decision.
You can send Simba ( and Emma mattress's and toppers) back postage free with 200 days if you don’t like them. The small double at 120cm is two inches too wide and of course there’s no cutout for the rear pillar but if we like it, I’ll cut it to fit. The VW mattress hasn’t proved much of a success to be honest. The bed/mattress issue will no doubt elicit as many different views are there are people on a mission to achieve a Savoy Hotel standard of sleep in a camper ! Good luck

We’ve just put a Zone Sleep Ultra in the upstairs bed. The roof closes fine and there’s an air gap still.
Did you remove the VW mattress?
Made a noticeable difference?
Thanks

Did you remove the VW mattress?
Made a noticeable difference?
Thanks
We did remove the VW mattress, that’s gone into the zonesleep bag for storage. Both the VW mattress and zone sleep wouldn’t go under the closed roof. It’s actually okay up there. The depth of mattress is the limiting factor so feel that at 50mm deep the zonesleep ultra is the best we’ll do.

We’re still faffing, Princess and the Pea style but think we are making progress. We’ve just put a Zone Sleep Ultra in the upstairs bed. The roof closes fine and there’s an air gap still. The Zone sleep does have a very open structure too to get some air around it.
I’ve just ordered a Simba topper for down stairs. I did visit the Duvalay showroom on the way to my mums at Christmas and tried various options in the van which helps making an informed decision.
You can send Simba ( and Emma mattress's and toppers) back postage free with 200 days if you don’t like them. The small double at 120cm is two inches too wide and of course there’s no cutout for the rear pillar but if we like it, I’ll cut it to fit. The VW mattress hasn’t proved much of a success to be honest. The bed/mattress issue will no doubt elicit as many different views are there are people on a mission to achieve a Savoy Hotel standard of sleep in a camper ! Good luck
Love the princess and pea analogy ! And thanks for the useful info

Our 'small double' Simba mattress topper arrived today. It seems to be very comfortable and slightly thicker and of a different construction to the Zonesleep Ultra (a perfect fit for the top bed but too thick to leave in there with the roof down). The bumf says it takes a day or two for the foam to expand. You have 200 days to decide if you like it or not so thought 'you cant go wrong'. Theres no cutout for the o/s 'C' or is it 'D' pillar but if we keep it I'll cut the foam. Its a tight fit width wise but seems okay and length wise fine. Fingers crossed aye.
Phil

Simba hybrid topper 1AE1EB0C-57B5-4513-ACC4-9C07876A5BBE_1_105_c.jpeg

1751B96D-E54A-4FEF-BFF9-788C1AC7FAE7_1_105_c.jpeg

I know this thread is quite a few months old now but what was the outcome of your experiments with the Simba topper?

We have tried quite an array of options but none work that well so was considering this or a Panda topper to try and add some comfort so would be interested to know.

too thick to leave in there with the roof down
Even with the VW mattress removed?
Will it 'fold up' together with the comfort mattress into the boot?

Very happy with it. In fact we’re just out of the 200 days trial period now so I’ve cut it to fit around the boot pillar.
It rolls up and sits on top of the prison mattress VW provide. I can send a photo if that helps.
Phil

Sorry I havnt covered the question fully. I’ve not stored it the roof space. It’s slightly thicker than the VW mattress but it does look like it would fit. We have a Zone Sleep ultra ‘upstairs’ as a replacement for the VW mattress. The open texture allows for a reasonable amount of ventilation in an area which could become quite damp I imagine.
Phil

Back