Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it possible to retrofit 3 seat bench in place of 2 in Ocean?

That is rear stopper out & seat as far back as it will go, Still leaves a boot big enough for six small suitcases.

The rear headrests are actually under the rear locker so you need to be careful of height of whoever is sitting there.

You cant rotate the frontmost 5th seat as it actually takes up more room that way round & hits the back of the drivers seat.

If you rotate the rearmost one You've then lost leg room for two seats instead of just the one.

For a meal stop we would rotate the front one 90 degrees to face the kitchen & fold the rear one flat to use as a table. I seem to remember that the table from the door would also fit over the folded seat.

Both front seats will still swivel.

We used this set up when going to a Villa in spain as a twice a year set up. The rest of the time it is only 3 or 4 of us camping. For use with at the time a 4 year old + 3 teenagers it worked. We still have the van but the oldest 2 been 20 don't come with us anymore.

Camping 6 up was never attempted (apart from overnight en route to a villa) 5 up was tight, 4 of us + dog was snug, 3 + the dog theres oodles of space & I cant imagine how easy it must be with just two in the van.

Just something to think about, the T5 & 6 all have a removable bed base/parcel shelf that is removed to move the bench back. The T6.1 has a new design of shelf & I don't know if that is removable - anyone know?

So update: having done some research on what the easiest potential 6 seater conversion option for me would be, (I.e. in Belgium - camping with 1, 2 or 4, but need occasional long distance travel with 6 with (four girls aged 7-12)) i think the clear winner is the multimac. I really don't want to fit a double front seat, and a second extra back chair hardly fits and in both cases I would need to go and have the van confirmed as a six seater with the Belgian 'control technique' where I could hit problems of total weight allowance I think. The multimac, by contrast, is officially a child seat, (which conforms to all EU safety standards) so does not require me to notify the authorities of a modification of the vehicle. I spoke to my insurance and they seem fine with it, so I think that is the way to go. I'll post some photos up here once I have it installed.

so update 2, and for information for anyone thinking about the fifth seat. Today, having removed the rear stop and pushed the back seat as far as it would go, i put the fifth seat in. Oddly, i don't think I've ever found a photo of this set up. I've seen pictures of the fifth seat in without the rear stop removed (so the rear shelf out, and the seat back as far as it will go normally, but never with the stop removed too). In this set up it is a very usable five adult carrier. The table will even go up without any issue. With the multimac it should be perfectly good for non-camping travel for six. (if i wanted to go camping i would need a roof box or trailer with my tent and things in, or I would need to pack very frugally)

1590956414070.png
1590956447265.png

1590956472668.png

Not a lot of boot obviously, but not too bad and there is masses of space in the main area for bags. Five people or six with kids - problem solved.

If i want to go camping alone or with two, i just have to take the extra chair out (or not even bother and just both sit in the back using the extra chair.) To go camping with four, i would obviously just revert to the original set up.

If all six of you go camping have you thought of towing a trailer? We have one of these for such occasions:

20200531_214126.jpg20200531_214200.jpg

It's an Assems GT750. It's very well made and tows like a dream. You can throw all your kit inside it and lock it. It's waterproof and is a great place to store things securely when camping. You can get bike racks for the top, up to four I believe, or strap even more stuff to the top. That top also makes a great area to prep and serve food. It's a great piece of kit and will solve your luggage problems.

ooh, i was just this minute looking at such trailers! Thanks for this.

(indeed, i had just asked what the trailer being pulled by the 'T7' in the video at the begining of this thread was. https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/t7-test-spy-movie.35003/)

yours looks ideal though, i have to say, and i actually have a James Baroud roof tent I could pop on the top...i wonder if that trailer could handle that? (i would need to put some extendable feet in the corners clearly)

I think the Assems is certainly strong enough to take a tent such as you've described. Yes you would need props which I believe that company do supply as optional extras.. Alternatively keep it attached to the tow bar and it should be ok without props if not a little less stable. How does your tent attach to the trailer?

so update 2, and for information for anyone thinking about the fifth seat. Today, having removed the rear stop and pushed the back seat as far as it would go, i put the fifth seat in. Oddly, i don't think I've ever found a photo of this set up. I've seen pictures of the fifth seat in without the rear stop removed (so the rear shelf out, and the seat back as far as it will go normally, but never with the stop removed too). In this set up it is a very usable five adult carrier. The table will even go up without any issue. With the multimac it should be perfectly good for non-camping travel for six. (if i wanted to go camping i would need a roof box or trailer with my tent and things in, or I would need to pack very frugally)

View attachment 60130
View attachment 60131

View attachment 60132

Not a lot of boot obviously, but not too bad and there is masses of space in the main area for bags. Five people or six with kids - problem solved.

If i want to go camping alone or with two, i just have to take the extra chair out (or not even bother and just both sit in the back using the extra chair.) To go camping with four, i would obviously just revert to the original set up.
Good photos, very helpful. I think there’s slightly more space (for both those on the bench and the fifth seat) with the fifth seat on the next rail over (beside the kitchen) and facing forward - can put legs down between driver and passenger seats. Have you tried this setup for when you’re travelling six?

I've not seen anything like that before. Is it designed for pets or humans? I'm assuming its for pets because of what looks like mesh sides.

haha - yes, it is designed for humans. Mine is a Jame Baroud Evasion. It's a 2m x 1.4m bed. Extremely comfortable. the mesh is for a nice view, but you can zip it all up and have an very cosy weatehr proof bed. I can fit two adults and a child in it easily.

Here it is on my old multivan. I haven't got round to selling it yet, although i did sell the van! (i've still got the kids....)

1591001773418.png

Good photos, very helpful. I think there’s slightly more space (for both those on the bench and the fifth seat) with the fifth seat on the next rail over (beside the kitchen) and facing forward - can put legs down between driver and passenger seats. Have you tried this setup for when you’re travelling six?

Yes, true. There is still good space like with it on the outside though. I haven't tried it yet, no. Indeed, i haven't ordered the multimac yet. planning to do so today. if i have four kids in the back, ideally i would have the chair facing back, so they can play games etc. (as they did in the multivan.)

Hi Babble. I would love one of those James Baroud roof tents for my Caravelle. Out of interest what roof rack/bars did you have it mounted on in the picture ? :thumb

haha - yes, it is designed for humans. Mine is a Jame Baroud Evasion. It's a 2m x 1.4m bed. Extremely comfortable. the mesh is for a nice view, but you can zip it all up and have an very cosy weatehr proof bed. I can fit two adults and a child in it easily.

Here it is on my old multivan. I haven't got round to selling it yet, although i did sell the van! (i've still got the kids....)

View attachment 60167
Wow, that looks really good. How come l've never seen one of those before?

I don't see why it couldn't be fixed to the rigid lid of the Assems GT750. There is a strong aluminium rail that runs around the top of the lid that's designed to take clamps to secure items. The bike racks clamp on to it so I'm sure it would be possible to attach your roof tent instead. It's a very interesting idea. If you decide to give it a go please let us know how you get on.

Whilst we did have an SE we never had cause to use your five seat configuration because we also owned a seven seat Beach at the same time. It looks very interesting but as you have said, there's more leg room with the fifth seat facing forward.

We sometimes go camping with our grandchildren. On those occasions or when we meet up with Cali friends we take our pump up Vango Galli Low Airbeam awning and other associated camping kit. We pack it all into the trailer leaving the Beach uncluttered. The trailer tows so well that most of the time you don't know it's there. It's very stable and quiet, using larger wheels and tyres than most alternatives. The build quality is superb.

If youv'e got wet boots or clothes you can lock them in the trailer along with all the other stuff you don't need in van.

As I understand it you are intending to fit a three seat Multimac across the two seat rear bench. My only concern is that your four girls are approaching the age when they will grow half a metre overnight. Is the Multimac solution going to work? If it does it won't for long. I therefore still feel that your best bet long term, is a seven seater Beach.

Best wishes.
Good luck.

As I understand it you are intending to fit a three seat Multimac across the two seat rear bench. My only concern is that your four girls are approaching the age when they will grow half a metre overnight. Is the Multimac solution going to work? If it does it won't for long. I therefore still feel that your best bet long term, is a seven seater Beach.

Luckily the two side seats can fit 12+ and small adults - the five point belt comes out and then it uses the van's belt. Seeing as my kids are fairly small and skinny anyway, I think it should be good for a five years. (Indeed, my girlfriend is pretty small, too. haha)

Hi Babble. I would love one of those James Baroud roof tents for my Caravelle. Out of interest what roof rack/bars did you have it mounted on in the picture ? :thumb

In the picture it is mounted on a full length Front Runner rack. I had to make some special brackets to fit it, but I still have them anyone is interested. I set it up so it had a little accessible terrace and or roof rack area, out the back. Kids loved that! Not really necessary though, it will fit much more easily on three normal roof bars.

indeed, i need to sell that roof rack too. (no, i can't ship it, before you ask! But if you drive to Brussels I'll give you a very good price.)

1591006940973.png

1591007060747.png

1591007133365.png
1591007628857.png

Last edited:
1591007445087.png

i solo travelled a bit with all the seats out of the multivan and the roof tent. Bliss!

In the picture it is mounted on a full length Front Runner rack. I had to make some special brackets to fit it, but I still have them anyone is interested. I set it up so it had a little accessible terrace and or roof rack area, out the back. Kids loved that! Not really necessary though, it will fit much more easily on three normal roof bars.

indeed, i need to sell that roof rack too. (no, i can't ship it, before you ask! But if you drive to Brussels I'll give you a very good price.)

View attachment 60172

View attachment 60173

View attachment 60174
I can see why they like it. It's a cross between a Wendy house and a tree house but without the tree.

View attachment 60172

View attachment 60173

View attachment 60174
View attachment 60176
Cheers Babble

Spotted one on a Porsche today,
As soon as i saw it there were too many questions
whizzing around in my head.

IMG_8656.jpg

Back