Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is it possible to retrofit 3 seat bench in place of 2 in Ocean?

If all six of you go camping have you thought of towing a trailer? We have one of these for such occasions:

View attachment 60138View attachment 60139

It's an Assems GT750. It's very well made and tows like a dream. You can throw all your kit inside it and lock it. It's waterproof and is a great place to store things securely when camping. You can get bike racks for the top, up to four I believe, or strap even more stuff to the top. That top also makes a great area to prep and serve food. It's a great piece of kit and will solve your luggage problems.

Question to Borris: can you open the tailgate with this attached? I'm seriously considering getting one. (Possibly the smaller one, so if you can open the tailgate with this one, i would need to check the dimensions of the smaller GT500)

Question to Borris: can you open the tailgate with this attached? I'm seriously considering getting one. (Possibly the smaller one, so if you can open the tailgate with this one, i would need to check the dimensions of the smaller GT500)
You can with the GT750 which we have. You have to drop the jockey wheel first though. I don't know about the other model.

Also if you are still thinking if mounting your Jame Baroud Evasion on a trailer, the GT 750 would be the better choice. I doubt if it would be practical to mount it on the shorter trailer due to it's length. As long as you have somewhere to park/store it, then go for the 750. You won't notice any difference when towing but you will when packing as you'll find it much more useful. If youv'e ever done any reversing with trailers the longer they are the easier it becomes. Short trailers that you have difficulty in seeing in your mirrors when reversing are very difficult indeed so it's best to unhitch instead.

so update 2, and for information for anyone thinking about the fifth seat. Today, having removed the rear stop and pushed the back seat as far as it would go, i put the fifth seat in. Oddly, i don't think I've ever found a photo of this set up. I've seen pictures of the fifth seat in without the rear stop removed (so the rear shelf out, and the seat back as far as it will go normally, but never with the stop removed too). In this set up it is a very usable five adult carrier. The table will even go up without any issue. With the multimac it should be perfectly good for non-camping travel for six. (if i wanted to go camping i would need a roof box or trailer with my tent and things in, or I would need to pack very frugally)

View attachment 60130
View attachment 60131

View attachment 60132

Not a lot of boot obviously, but not too bad and there is masses of space in the main area for bags. Five people or six with kids - problem solved.

If i want to go camping alone or with two, i just have to take the extra chair out (or not even bother and just both sit in the back using the extra chair.) To go camping with four, i would obviously just revert to the original set up.
Just to add a few photos with the multimac in place.

1592494402974.png

1592494430939.png

Multimac has a FAQ in which they 'answer' your question. But I'd always make sure to check with your local authorities and insurer.

IS MULTIMAC LEGAL?​

Yes: It has been tested and approved to the latest European Standard ECE 44-04 where its results were dramatically better than the specified requirements.

As the first multiple child seat, it has probably been subjected to more scrutiny than any child seat in history, including BSI, TRL, VCA, British government, European government, Swedish Road Administration and VTI.

The Insurance Companies have been notified that it will be available, and have given their approval, acknowledging that it does actually increase the number of passengers carried in a car, and welcoming its contribution to enhanced child safety.

You do however have to notify your insurer that you are using a Multimac: you will then be covered in any eventuality, and if your Multimac is stolen, or damaged in an accident, it will be replaced.

Britain’s largest Insurer has actually positively endorsed it.

Multimac has a FAQ in which they 'answer' your question. But I'd always make sure to check with your local authorities and insurer.

IS MULTIMAC LEGAL?​

Yes: It has been tested and approved to the latest European Standard ECE 44-04 where its results were dramatically better than the specified requirements.

As the first multiple child seat, it has probably been subjected to more scrutiny than any child seat in history, including BSI, TRL, VCA, British government, European government, Swedish Road Administration and VTI.

The Insurance Companies have been notified that it will be available, and have given their approval, acknowledging that it does actually increase the number of passengers carried in a car, and welcoming its contribution to enhanced child safety.

You do however have to notify your insurer that you are using a Multimac: you will then be covered in any eventuality, and if your Multimac is stolen, or damaged in an accident, it will be replaced.

Britain’s largest Insurer has actually positively endorsed it.
I have no worry that Multimac is legal as child seat ;) But in this case You are using 3 child seats on 2 seat bench. So, in configuration as is on bubble photos, they are 6 passengers onboard and I think that Cali Ocean is officialy only for 5 passengers.

I have no worry that Multimac is legal as child seat ;) But in this case You are using 3 child seats on 2 seat bench. So, in configuration as is on bubble photos, they are 6 passengers onboard and I think that Cali Ocean is officialy only for 5 passengers.
I think the Vehicle Registration relates to 5 adult passengers and the seats and restraint systems are designed and certified accordingly. The Multimac is designed and certified to convert 2 adult seats and restraint systems to 3 child seat systems with constraints on size and weight of the occupants. It then becomes an Insurance matter. If accepted by the Insurance company then good to go.

I think the Vehicle Registration relates to 5 adult passengers and the seats and restraint systems are designed and certified accordingly. The Multimac is designed and certified to convert 2 adult seats and restraint systems to 3 child seat systems with constraints on size and weight of the occupants. It then becomes an Insurance matter. If accepted by the Insurance company then good to go.
"The Multimac is designed and certified to convert 2 adult seats and restraint systems to 3 child seat systems"
OK, I didn't know that. Thank You for explanation. Then it's seems OK :thumb

it is a super club junior. https://www.multimac.com/p/superclub_3_seater

yes, fitted myself. took about five minutes. i do like the seat covers yes!
Babble - how does the multimac compare to the 5th seat in terms of time/ease to take it out and put it back in again when camping? We’ve been using the 5th seat for our three kids, but did wonder whether a multimac would be a better solution. The two drawbacks of the 5th seat are storage while camping and weight. The multimac seems slightly lighter, but I’m not sure it would be any easier to store. But the plus for the 5th seat is that it is easy to fit and remove (if you ignore how heavy it is)

Back