Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

And that's another interesting point. Why no option for extra berths in the 680 version?
Am amazed that they didn’t make the dinette area convert to a 3rd berth if nothing else.

Youngest would fit easily for a good few years, next one is 17 but small & only comes along if she wants to.
The older two don’t come camping with us anymore.
So thinking of it more as 3 berth after this summer which I think would work.

Having previously had a roller team 700 which was a 7 berth we have a good idea as to what works for us & what doesn’t.

A GC would fit on the drive in addition to the Ocean. Strangely I would be happy to loan out a GC to family & could see it getting a lot of use, whereas no-one gets to touch my Ocean. The 3.5tn license is a huge advantage here as well.

If I could get a used one for £50-60k I would have one by now, it’s just that little bit too much at the moment.

Surely a CG and a Cali is cheating... :)

Am amazed that they didn’t make the dinette area convert to a 3rd berth if nothing else.
I agree. With the 680 being so long there should be ample scope to design a more effective second sleeping area in the front. It might involve a slight compromise on rear bed length but that would be worth it if this huge van could boast sleeping for four adults like the smaller more compact, long standing California SE/Ocean/Coast/Beach models.. As it is the 600 over cab sleeper option is only suitable for small children and they have a nasty habit of growing so wouldn't suit most families for very long.

If they could achieve the above then I agree with your point that having the bathroom in the middle does makes sense.

A GC would fit on the drive in addition to the Ocean. Strangely I would be happy to loan out a GC to family & could see it getting a lot of use, whereas no-one gets to touch my Ocean. The 3.5tn license is a huge advantage here as well.
exactly - I am planning to offer to family and other medic friends, with caveats. But ocean has just too many bits to mess up or break

Surely a CG and a Cali is cheating... :)

The Cali is my work van / mobile office / dog transport / university removals van. So justifies its place on the fleet.

We have 5 other vehicles, 4 of which are under threat of eviction due to lack of use so could make a space on the drive for a small GC
( I would point out that we have 5 driving licences in the household between us it’s not just me driving)

This conversion does look good despite the price. Does anyone know a dealer or if this is available in RHD? All the best
I’m going to phone Roseisle, my closest westfalia dealer tomorrow. Apparently westfalia suffers the same BS that hymer and adria do: you have to take it back to it’s home garage for warranty issues. The repulsive Roseisle garage in Edinburgh have already said they won’t entertain ‘foreign’ vehicles.

The Cali is my work van / mobile office / dog transport / university removals van. So justifies its place on the fleet.

We have 5 other vehicles, 4 of which are under threat of eviction due to lack of use so could make a space on the drive for a small GC
( I would point out that we have 5 driving licences in the household between us it’s not just me driving)
You’re keeping the Moggy though, right?

You’re keeping the Moggy though, right?
Its managed just under 300 miles in the year which means depreciation has been about £00000.01 not as good as a cali but not bad, but I am getting an itch for another Caterham.....

Its managed just under 300 miles in the year which means depreciation has been about £00000.01 not as good as a cali but not bad, but I am getting an itch for another Caterham.....
Ideal for overtaking on roundabouts...

This conversion does look good despite the price. Does anyone know a dealer or if this is available in RHD? All the best
Called wandahome. They had a James cook for “now 78500” with video. Turns out that video wasn’t their van and would have costed about 100k. The basic price for 2020 was about 78500, but that comes with practically nothing.

specc-ihg to be similar level to grand cali, takes it upto 85k-90k (without solar).

makes me think my £67k ex deno GC600 is a good deal. Normal price of £80k is awful compared to competition.

Called wandahome. They had a James cook for “now 78500” with video. Turns out that video wasn’t their van and would have costed about 100k. The basic price for 2020 was about 78500, but that comes with practically nothing.

specc-ihg to be similar level to grand cali, takes it upto 85k-90k (without solar).

makes me think my £67k ex deno GC600 is a good deal. Normal price of £80k is awful compared to competition.
Thanks is that the pop top? The spec if a bit better eg 3 litre engine

( I would point out that we have 5 driving licences in the household between us it’s not just me driving

A family friend is after a camper and loves our Cali but wants something bigger and with a bathroom.

That’s easy I said, the Grand California. However once I started looking into them I got a feeling that VW might have dropped the ball on this one.

The cabin seems cramped as does the bed (600) and also the bed above the front seats too. Also just doesn’t give me the ‘glowing’ feeling that the Cali does. Seems very clinical.

This is a long way of saying, hand on heart I don’t feel comfortable recommending one to them. This family member is the type of person who’d take my advice and order one (very gung-ho, unlike me who researches everything to death!)

I’ve read the various threads about the alternatives and have to say, even though I love our California (I recommend these to anyone who’ll listen) I get the feeling that the Grand California could have been better, it seems some of the alternative Crafter builds are better thought out.

I’ve also seen some ex demos which are sticking around as opposed to Cali’s which are selling like hot cakes.

Happy to be wrong, would be great to hear some thoughts.
Got a pal who has just sold his Cali after 5 years to get a GC600, needs the extra room. He's done all his research and although there are better designs/layouts, the overall finish, long warranty on the whole vehicle and nearby dealer network is a strong plus especially as things always go wrong with any camper and if you can get one around 70k all the better.

I’m very much looking for a big Cali with a toilet and shower. I can’t find anything that’s light and modern in and out, under 6m, under 3.5T, based on crafter/sprinter and has a pop top. (And has usable dealer network in Scotland - hymer doesnt) If you find something, let me know!
Went for this one. Fixed bed in the back and shower and toilet inside. Plenty of space. Love it so far.

5C5F0E1B-A08C-48FB-8B43-6281257317FB.jpeg

I was all up for buying a 680GC, however, where do you put a kAyak/surfboard/sup? I liked the van and it's support network, but I couldn't live with no roof rack. I ordered a standard California instead

View attachment 76512
180 bhp, 4x4, traction Control, diff lock, 3 heaters, 4 years servicing, 4 year warranty, Auto 8 speed, 100mph

Put my snow tyres on and I can’t find a better van to take me to the Alps, no brainier for me

looks great, is that a 600 or 680?

Also, what’s your use case, do you travel with any kids etc?

looks great, is that a 600 or 680?

Also, what’s your use case, do you travel with any kids etc?
680, wife, me and 2 kids (young adults can sleep in the front seats turned around and laid flat), had no choice because I needed a toilet for wife medical reasons, and I love skiing. Kids in front are a temporary thing though, one can sleep for longer.

I get about 8 weeks skiing in a year (not last season big fat zero and season before only got 2 weeks in before it became unstable)

Because of the astronomical costs of accommodation on ski resorts (especially during the best month of February), costs should be recouped on ski accommodation alone in 5 years, and then there is the summerIMG_6798.JPG

I'm a bit more grown up now (older) and the kids are now working and can make up their own mind as to what they do. So mostly its 2 of us and additional 2 can join us if they want to, but I don't really want that. Love the kids to pieces, but they have to stand on their own feet, 3 out of 4 can drive now.

But traction is a big issue for me .......

680, wife, me and 2 kids (young adults can sleep in the front seats turned around and laid flat), had no choice because I needed a toilet for wife medical reasons, and I love skiing. Kids in front are a temporary thing though, one can sleep for longer.

I get about 8 weeks skiing in a year (not last season big fat zero and season before only got 2 weeks in before it became unstable)

Because of the astronomical costs of accommodation on ski resorts (especially during the best month of February), costs should be recouped on ski accommodation alone in 5 years, and then there is the summerView attachment 76513

I'm a bit more grown up now (older) and the kids are now working and can make up their own mind as to what they do. So mostly its 2 of us and additional 2 can join us if they want to, but I don't really want that. Love the kids to pieces, but they have to stand on their own feet, 3 out of 4 can drive now.

But traction is a big issue for me .......
Hi just picked up my 680 on Friday, just. A quick question as i have been looking over it, Had a 600 Previously. Have you noticed a heating pipe inside the water tank compartment under the bed. I only ask as there wasn’t one on my GC 600, maybe an update. Seems to be a few improvements from a 2020 MY.
Will

Back