Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

We got our GC600 last year but only did a small trip before winter. Had to go down to south France (Biarritz) last week for a day for work. Because of Covid I thougt it was a good idea to take the GC for a real shakedown test without family.

2 days down from Stockholm 2800km
1 day work
2 days drive home 2800km
Total 4nights and 5600km

This car is an absoulute joy to drive far and fast and everything worked flawlessly. First time out with the new little table too and Branderup carpets.

Total sucess and can’t wait for summer adventures!!

B00FC4F0-8B7A-4737-BB68-F285C1D1326C.jpeg

3539709E-5AD3-4FAE-ABFB-35CFB7FA5189.jpeg

94E09CBF-023B-4E3B-A2CE-F4249C896386.jpeg

D59AB472-D878-48F9-9184-8FA45F75025A.jpeg

We got our GC600 last year but only did a small trip before winter. Had to go down to south France (Biarritz) last week for a day for work. Because of Covid I thougt it was a good idea to take the GC for a real shakedown test without family.

2 days down from Stockholm 2800km
1 day work
2 days drive home 2800km
Total 4nights and 5600km

This car is an absoulute joy to drive far and fast and everything worked flawlessly. First time out with the new little table too and Branderup carpets.

Total sucess and can’t wait for summer adventures!!

View attachment 76541

View attachment 76542

View attachment 76543

View attachment 76544

Looks great

Passed a motorhome dealership in the lakes today and they had a GC 680 just traded in with only 900 miles on the clock sham somebody obviously didn’t get on with it.
I personally like them.I went Westfalia but the GC would have been my next choice

View attachment 76524
Wife is looking. I’m relaxing a mo

View attachment 76525
Which pipe you mean?
Hi skiboy

thanks for your posts which I read with great interest. I too ski passionately and have been thinking about a larger van to avoid some of the costs.
We tend to go as a family between 7 and 9 weeks a year which adds up on hotel bills, so I was thinking about taking larger campervan down. It would pay for itself over a few years like you say.

Could I ask where you go? We tend to favour snow sure resorts for early and late (VDI mainly) but I have no experience of “camping” areas in these places.

Also, could I ask how you get anyone to sleep on the front seats? We were very close to getting the 600GC but the top bed would be quickly outgrown by my 6 and 7 year olds. I would have jumped on the van otherwise!

Enjoy the ski this year when it returns!!
All the best

Hi skiboy

thanks for your posts which I read with great interest. I too ski passionately and have been thinking about a larger van to avoid some of the costs.
We tend to go as a family between 7 and 9 weeks a year which adds up on hotel bills, so I was thinking about taking larger campervan down. It would pay for itself over a few years like you say.

Could I ask where you go? We tend to favour snow sure resorts for early and late (VDI mainly) but I have no experience of “camping” areas in these places.

Also, could I ask how you get anyone to sleep on the front seats? We were very close to getting the 600GC but the top bed would be quickly outgrown by my 6 and 7 year olds. I would have jumped on the van otherwise!

Enjoy the ski this year when it returns!!
All the best
Alpe D’Huez, it’s a large resort, 250kms of ski runs, but most of all its car friendly. A lot of resorts are not

I have a feeling that having missed 2 seasons any resort will welcome Sterling

Turn the 2 seats around, the one opposite the bench seats will be easy as legs on seats.
With skis thrown under GC, you can use a steel army type bed just in between the storage facilities on the floor in the back. Perfect for a child, and can just fit an adult, I know because we tried. I’m sleeping on the bed. The drivers seat can be used, but with legs down unless you have a stool or something
But this is more emergency accommodation for 5. Easy accommodation for 3 and even 4

Im assuming the biggest problem will be, I like it subtropical and the wife likes it cool
The camper site holds very little facilities but has the best views on the resort (big bonus) it’s by the altiport, but seeing as you get 1 plane every couple of days, not worried.
As soon as the permission is given, I’m putting on the snow tyres and I’m off. Diesel heating, gas heating, electric heating, run engine, I’ll be warm enough
Drive there with you if you want

I have switched from a T5 Cali to a grand California..... I am 68 and female and it suits me really well, having spent 2 weeks in it so far...... plenty of room for my golden retriever and me, easy to drive even on motorways and twisty roads ( though I have not tried very narrow lanes) and plenty of storage space.... my Brompton fits under the bed. It’s also very light with the two big skylights, and the white fittings.
I have adapted it by taking out one of the boards separating the main area from the area under the bed, and adding a curtain.... this allows easy access to a rubbish bin and wine bottles/ tins kept behind the board & curtain.....

Hi thanks got your reply look for the Truma heating duct yellow/orange in colour back left.
Will

View attachment 76536
Hi Will,
My new 680 has that same pipe in the water tank box. Is it connected to the Truma heater and does it warm the area around the water tank?

Alpe D’Huez, it’s a large resort, 250kms of ski runs, but most of all its car friendly. A lot of resorts are not

I have a feeling that having missed 2 seasons any resort will welcome Sterling

Turn the 2 seats around, the one opposite the bench seats will be easy as legs on seats.
With skis thrown under GC, you can use a steel army type bed just in between the storage facilities on the floor in the back. Perfect for a child, and can just fit an adult, I know because we tried. I’m sleeping on the bed. The drivers seat can be used, but with legs down unless you have a stool or something
But this is more emergency accommodation for 5. Easy accommodation for 3 and even 4

Im assuming the biggest problem will be, I like it subtropical and the wife likes it cool
The camper site holds very little facilities but has the best views on the resort (big bonus) it’s by the altiport, but seeing as you get 1 plane every couple of days, not worried.
As soon as the permission is given, I’m putting on the snow tyres and I’m off. Diesel heating, gas heating, electric heating, run engine, I’ll be warm enough
Drive there with you if you want
.. also on the Alpe d’Huez network .. it‘s worth looking at the smaller ski resort of Vaujany, which is much lower at just 1300m, but with excellent access to the mountain. The car park used by campers and motor homes is close to the leisure facilities so there are hot showers etc if you want to spare the van.

.. also on the Alpe d’Huez network .. it‘s worth looking at the smaller ski resort of Vaujany, which is much lower at just 1300m, but with excellent access to the mountain. The car park used by campers and motor homes is close to the leisure facilities so there are hot showers etc if you want to spare the van.
Very interesting.
I didn’t know

I’ll look into it

thank you

This description sounds very familiar. The Cali layout did not work for us. So we went LWB, with toilet, external shower, hot water and high top. Not everyone's cup of tea but we love what we have. Oh, and no wood veneer in sight, a cream and pale blue interior with only a smig of carpet - which if I had been in the ball would not be there! Each to their own.
Do you mind if I ask what you bought, I’m looking for something to replace our Cali, going looking at a 600 next week but I think I’d prefer a lwb Cali honestly

I managed to view a Grand California, for me personally VW missed on this one. Just didn’t have a good feel about it and the normal Cali feels like a nicer place to be in terms of hanging out. The GC just felt too clinical.

Saying that. I wish I had one as I really miss a shower and toilet. However given £70-90k I’d be looking elsewhere despite my obvious love for the California range.

If anyone has any pictures of the inside of one that doesn't look like the waiting room of a German car dealership, please post. I imagine some stickers, cushions, lights etc would make a real difference.

Do you mind if I ask what you bought, I’m looking for something to replace our Cali, going looking at a 600 next week but I think I’d prefer a lwb Cali honestly
Hi Dave6779.
As mentioned the California did not work for us. We purchased a new LWB T6 150 DSG Highline and had it converted by Autohaus in Minehead. The conversion was to a high top model - we don't like pop tops especially in the winter. We have a cream and blue leather interior so it is very light. The conversion includes, two single beds that can be slid together, fridge, double hob, oven, hot water, built in toilet and external shower point. The gas supply is LPG from an underslung LPG tank that fuels the appliances and campervan heating. It is refilled from any lpg station.
We find the hot water and shower are a terrific bonus. To use the shower we have a one person pop up tent which we place close to the van and with an extension hose the shower head reaches from the van into the tent. It was great when the Covid restrictions were in place. Hope this helps.

If anyone has any pictures of the inside of one that doesn't look like the waiting room of a German car dealership, please post. I imagine some stickers, cushions, lights etc would make a real difference.
Pixers do all sorts of things (I love mountains so added that below) I don’t have a GC but most campers are plain (same as a new house), just put your own stamp on it.
I have postcards from my travels bluetacked on cupboards too.
28F40720-6293-42A7-8E85-FAE9E98CCF26.jpeg

Pixers do all sorts of things (I love mountains so added that below) I don’t have a GC but most campers are plain (same as a new house), just put your own stamp on it.
I have postcards from my travels bluetacked on cupboards too.
View attachment 83262

Be keen to see more photos, I never really thought about how an empty GC might appear soulless but one that’s being used might look less clinical and warmer.

Be keen to see more photos, I never really thought about how an empty GC might appear soulless but one that’s being used might look less clinical and warmer.
I don’t have a GC i have a westfalia joker but it has a boring gloss white finish like the GC. You can get cupboards wrapped, I had a map towel on the ceiling and my old Cali had a crochet blanket hung on the ceiling. Rugs, blankets, cushions, string lights bunting, post cards, photos, sticker, you can do anything or you can leave it white and clean lined whatever takes your fancy. There’s no end to what you can do to the interior of any van :thumb

Have a look here

Hi Dave6779.
As mentioned the California did not work for us. We purchased a new LWB T6 150 DSG Highline and had it converted by Autohaus in Minehead. The conversion was to a high top model - we don't like pop tops especially in the winter. We have a cream and blue leather interior so it is very light. The conversion includes, two single beds that can be slid together, fridge, double hob, oven, hot water, built in toilet and external shower point. The gas supply is LPG from an underslung LPG tank that fuels the appliances and campervan heating. It is refilled from any lpg station.
We find the hot water and shower are a terrific bonus. To use the shower we have a one person pop up tent which we place close to the van and with an extension hose the shower head reaches from the van into the tent. It was great when the Covid restrictions were in place. Hope this helps.
Thanks, sounds terrific! One thing I’d love is quieter in bad weather, I sleep up top mostly and struggle in bad weather. I’ll take a look at autohaus, thanks!

Hello,

I haven't read all the post here, but from my experience I belive the Grand California is not there yet. Volkswagen needs more time to get al the issues sorted. With what I know now, would I have purchased the GC? No, I wouldn't have.

Of course people say that other brands have their problems too, but Hymer and Westfalia for instance have more experience in camper van and motorhome build.

My problem is, that even if we give the Grand California 600 back (which I am tempted to do if there are more issues turn up) there are only a few motorhome dealers in Ireland, which all of them are a good bit away from us.

Would I recommend to purchase the Grand California? I don't know. It seems that there are many users out there which have no problems, but equally there are many who have problems. The camper is already 2 years on the market, so I would have expected that the know issues would have been sorted

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I haven't read all the post here, but from my experience I belive the Grand California is not there yet. Volkswagen needs more time to get al the issues sorted. With what I know now, would I have purchased the GC? No, I wouldn't have.

Of course people say that other brands have their problems too, but Hymer and Westfalia for instance have more experience in camper van and motorhome build.

My problem is, that even if we give the Grand California 600 back (which I am tempted to do if there are more issues turn up) there are only a few motorhome dealers in Ireland, which all of them are a good bit away from us.

Would I recommend to purchase the Grand California? I don't know. It seems that there are many users out there which have no problems, but equally there are many who have problems. The camper is already 2 years on the market, so I would have expected that the know issues would have been sorted

Regards,
Eberhard
Interesting feedback, thanks for sharing.

What I find difficult to understand is that, even if the Grand is new on the market:

- the actual van has been around for many years and sells about 70,000 units a year (source below), so should be super designed, reliable, known
- VW have made the normal California for decades (with and without Westfalia) and therefore know how to design and build a best-in-class vehicle
- the extra new components used are not particularly fancy or unique; should be "just" normal parts which come together like shower, toilet, lights...

So where is it going wrong?

Source for production numbers

Should also say that as Autohaus are a VW approved converter so the full VW warranty (3 years, then extended) remained intact and the conversion came with a 3 year warranty plus telephone support Monday to Friday, work hours, and Sat morning for help with niggles as and when. We found this instant telephone support excellent for when unexpected things happen. For instance there is a gas safety cut out that activated, so no gas. Called them up, spoke to the installer and he gave me the reset procedure. All done in less than 5 mins. Same when a fuse went and I could not find the blown one.
Thanks, sounds terrific! One thing I’d love is quieter in bad weather, I sleep up top mostly and struggle in bad weather. I’ll take a look at autohaus, thanks!
I thought I had already posted this next comment but can't find it, so sorry if I am cluttering the forum. As Autohaus are an approved VW converter the VW warranty on the t6 was not compromised by the conversion and was extended for a further 2 years after the initial 3. The conversation itself came with a 3 year warranty from Autohaus. In addition they provided, and continue to provide, telephone support for those niggles that crop up. Such as how to reset the gas safety lock out, where particular fuses are, how to remove an air lock from the water system. They are always very helpful get an answer back to you very quickly.

Back