Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

Be keen to know this.

If I can’t take surfboards up to 8ft then it rules it out 100% for me
You can fit an 8ft board in them, just not on them. I would have thought certainly on a 600 that you could mount a board vertically using the rear door bike rack mounts, at 8ft bottom of the board would be higher than the rear bumper & top of the board would be lower than the roofline.

You can fit an 8ft board in them, just not on them. I would have thought certainly on a 600 that you could mount a board vertically using the rear door bike rack mounts, at 8ft bottom of the board would be higher than the rear bumper & top of the board would be lower than the roofline.

Thanks Andy.

Would the board fit under the rear bed? Would be ideal.

Thanks Andy.

Would the board fit under the rear bed? Would be ideal.
In a GC680 there's 2.4m between the back doors & the back of the shower, I don't have the dimensions to hand but am estimating the hight of the bed to be 900mm above floor level, if you board will fit on its side in that hight, apart from getting in the way, theres nothing to stop your boards projecting down the aisle between the kitchen & shower.

On a 680 you would still be able to get the shower door open & use the kitchen but the board would be in the way of some of the kitchen draws. on a 600 the kitchen and shower doors would be blocked.

I am sure you can actually fit the boards in, it's just whether they are in the way. You really need to turn up at a dealer with a board & see what you think.IMG_0724.jpegIMG_0725.jpeg

In a GC680 there's 2.4m between the back doors & the back of the shower, I don't have the dimensions to hand but am estimating the hight of the bed to be 900mm above floor level, if you board will fit on its side in that hight, apart from getting in the way, theres nothing to stop your boards projecting down the aisle between the kitchen & shower.

On a 680 you would still be able to get the shower door open & use the kitchen but the board would be in the way of some of the kitchen draws. on a 600 the kitchen and shower doors would be blocked.

I am sure you can actually fit the boards in, it's just whether they are in the way. You really need to turn up at a dealer with a board & see what you think.View attachment 109844View attachment 109845

Thanks Andy, very useful.

The 680 is out for us as there's 3 of us.

Hadn't consider the fact that there's no option for a roof rack on the Grand! Having them inside just isn't practical

I like it and might consider it as an option. Although vw's after sales is a bit scary...precisely because they have sold so few of them. Another stopper for me is that I don't think you can put a roof rack on it, can you? I never see pics of a GC with the roof loaded.
That's the thing...I usually carry 3-4 boards on the roof (the biggest is a 7'8) in the cali right now. If I can't do that I'm losing more than I'm gaining :(

AJFCJaV_IzFkLrah8caze2t2y6bQpeqa2IQJl4mQ55NUuqSmwbty-oBsaMrbVQZIWw_zNOZ3P39tmRoKG7Qde7pYO_bjfSNHmngyQARyKyQCjrF-Fq4b8aetuUfeAD2UD-7LHdPaY3Ck-OfQ3NPCy8bZb7WY31A7G906p8iiqhyFdkfVvKu9ECg65kcHmHuyUsFTISVMxABbgqq4E4EPEYcTakMt-U6YtJ5sfIwRtXptmOAZmR3pj69AmaElvGzW8ZAmp--IccTMpli0xLx8Hse_JzmVgz6DF5O-KVfkXFWuIAXTIGMcEX_bE0Vv9IGrO349OrA9Y_9WHxgkeJ4no_adROva0_ze9cExSD0-hvMLKb4nQ4U_WC2-oprhFMJuKUuXNhO-kgRas7OWG0julkCeko8C9juOb1z_q4_3_7V_7L8frso8lKGzk4sGL2D3BdBd3Uj5_rRZjgoo_FeES-y2TZzDiWOpPYxrZQcfrlK40XIGV_uUvIcMcABb2Wvc44wQp9rjKyZOlVROcR-7OH7KZVTRkYLYDCy-3x8yWTZxBU_BkFiQZmpVbuk10C2ZhGiFWSdGx-C3_s40-goOPU4wznrqyu5kO8qqXg-pJ2aUI9l5-KrIHnbNAOFf_kC_W9Yh3baUT8S236HogsQe7T-K2S5Ildwsg6rBSAV4p9M0jDarc-DZwDg1YWpivfwpc2Y-uf1iHZ46242XnDiqOxL0svkMcMPF9BsyuGezZqqkR9af07nui2fTba2TldsJ_5NzwjT9IQJxDQEbsHN685jrsUlZQGgEkk2nQ1Bfl8HCGK7X7-LOINqSlMpy7FCyLGqQz633aJsKUw880nDMC18ej2p-9kwl6pMUNs0l65majtsqDkaQTP6MvqMfu8Koy2fqORL1UwrjPRYsrZ3qn6QN_9FZV6njucGOSCbCbI5x2lxxIZvtsRNfy2CO4NdmIiE=w743-h929-s-no

I haven't checked yet..but I guess an H3 Fiat - Peugeot - Citroen can do it because the roof is not fiberglass

That's the thing...I usually carry 3-4 boards on the roof (the biggest is a 7'8) in the cali right now. If I can't do that I'm losing more than I'm gaining :(
Is there anything to stop you mounting them vertically on a rear door, the 600 at 10ft high means the would be clear of the road & still below the roofline.

Is there anything to stop you mounting them vertically on a rear door, the 600 at 10ft high means the would be clear of the road & still below the roofline.
The bike rack probably!

Hadn't consider the fact that there's no option for a roof rack on the Grand! Having them inside just isn't practic

Hadn't consider the fact that there's no option for a roof rack on the Grand! Having them inside just isn't practical
Hi the awning is attached to a reinforcing block bonded onto the inside of the roof.
The same could be done to the other side to mount brackets for the board; it would need the headliner removing to get access.
Just a thought

IMG_0660.png

Or simpler option

even if the 600/680 could have a roofrack, wouldn’t it be really tricky getting the boards up there, 3m up ? Would need a ladder for sure

Be keen to know this.

If I can’t take surfboards up to 8ft then it rules it out 100% for me
I'm no surfer, but clearly boards, skis and the like can be carried inside as the under-bed storage is at least five foot in depth and can be continued into the body of the van a similar distance, though this may make access to the toilet/shower difficult. On roof carriage will be problematic, I imagine, as that part of the vehicle is not metal.

I'm no surfer, but clearly boards, skis and the like can be carried inside as the under-bed storage is at least five foot in depth and can be continued into the body of the van a similar distance, though this may make access to the toilet/shower difficult. On roof carriage will be problematic, I imagine, as that part of the vehicle is not metal.
BTW, I can only speak of the GC 600

So, popped back on here and went down a crazy rabbit hole (with so much more I should've been doing!), eventually ending up here.
We're nearly two years into the Grand California 600 ownership. It's interesting reading feedback from folk that perhaps haven't really experienced it. And we didn't buy it as a motorhome alternative (I really don't think it is), but as a touring van with a wetroom.
It took us some time to get used to it. It came as sold, with the extra bed, but we've taken all of that out to create an easy space for enough clothes for any trip. The storage above and around the bed is dry food, pans and the larger cupboard for the many towels my wife insists on having... and the kitchen area for all of the various kitchen paraphernalia.
Is it big enough? With the seats piloted, and (almost essentially) the _smaller_ table we bought from the German supplier, it's insanely comfortable (I'm an easy 6 foot, and stretch easy). Our golden retriever sleeps happily in it. In fact, I can't go in it without him getting ridiculously excited that he's off for yet another adventure.
We also retrofitted solar, on the front top slant, fit by Wild Camp with a semi-flex solar.
We've just got back from Wilderness, a four day festival. We barely got below 50 hours of power-remaining. I was a little obsessed, but the small amount of sun powered us back up every day. We used the wet room throughout, with a small top up of water that we didn't need in the end. We had 18 days around France last year. Some were wild. None were an issue. Sure, there was a heatwave, so sitting under the awning and sipping cold wine was the order of the day/evening, but having added an inflatable wind break and a big old mat, it was almost too addictive...
The difference between the GC600 and a motorhome is, simply, that it's not one. It's a touring van, so very easy to drive (the crafter van is simple to throw around country roads). It's not a day van, not really, but I have zero issues driving it to one of my businesses, unloading, barbecuing from the fridge, and driving home again. We don't have a TV in the van; we don't really see the point (and where we took it away over the winter, the wife's ipad did the trick for keeping us entertained with the odd film and with football on Sky!).
It's not for everyone. I don't think it'd suit windsurfing due to the lack of space on top. But we paddleboard, bought one of those mad inflatable things, and the amount of storage under the bed is barely touched by it. We take the Ooni, I make dough on the table, we make pizza outside, we slide it back under the bed... (the Ooni, not the pizza...)
The wet room set up is absolutely fine for me and my wife, a shower a day each and we're not exactly falling out the door!
Would I change things? Sure; a tad more kitchen space for prep, and the passenger chairs are a little bit inflexible! But I'm also on a big high, having come back from the festival (no, not like that..!), and it delivered in every single way.
My wife has done a great job of decorating and adding little touches here and there. It might seem clinical when you start out with it, but it's actually just a blank canvas to make your own art on. The structural design is, as you'd expect, pretty cool. I sometimes play with the ambient light, but as soon as I hit that bed, I'm more or less out for the count; it's insanely comfortable.
The biggest compliment about the van is the amount of people that want to come in and see it! Partly due to the lack of them on the road, I guess, but also because it's quite a beast without being a square box. Every little touch about it, everything we've added, it's that "hotel on wheels" feel, without losing all personality.
Is it a success? Not if they've sold less than 100. But as an owner of one (and a much happier owner since I found Breeze in Portsmouth and Wild Camp in Southampton, both of whom have been fantastic in helping us throughout the last few years), my wife and I probably adore it more now than we did when we bought it.
(and bearing in mind we had to go through the tap debacle, the learning curve on that bloody battery and a few other issues, not least when we brought it new from a dealer I won't mention, who did such a shoddy after-sales job... until we found Breeze... the small amount of sufferance to get to a place of adoration is no mean feat)

Thanks for that. That’s a very comforting post for us. We have a GC600 on order, having loved touring Europe and the UK in our T5.1 California over the last 10 years. It’s a big step for us - at heart we’re campers - and the change from the smaller and very agile Cali to the larger and slightly more well appointed Grand, was a huge decision to make. We love the stylish and contemporary interior, some might say ‘clinical’, and your comments about it being great for driving/touring are reassuring, we certainly did not want to join the ‘Great White’ club. Appreciate that no vehicle will be perfect, everything is a compromise, we’ll hopefully get hold of it in October.

I can't comment directly as I'm an owner of a Knaus BoxDrive 600XL, but given it's very similar indeed to the GC600, I can only echo what has been written by @MarkSmith0011 above.

I came to this via several motorhomes, a Westfalia KeplerOne and latterly a T6 Ocean. The BoxDrive600 XL / GC600 is not a motorhome. It is, for us anyway, a more practical camper van and second vehicle. We've done several weekends away with kids (10 & 2) as well as me just returning from 3 nights away solo up in the Lakes.

Space-wise you do have to plan well as a family, but for a couple I am sure it's nigh on perfect. Lockers and cabinets everywhere logically as well as a huge under bed garage are particularly useful coming from the Cali and the fact that the main bed doesn't need making up, is a boon.

Toilet & wet room are tight but useable and surprisingly effective for ablutions after long days of hiking; something which when wilding in the Cali was always a pain - standing on a towel in front of the sink with all the blinds down to have a strip wash. I do also like having a toilet behind a door rather than again having to pull the blinds down and evacuate everyone from the vehicle.

The Crafter/TGE chassis is a peach. I'd go as far as to say it drives better than the T6/T6.1. It feels very stable, yet rides comfortably, no wallow and direct steering. I have the 177bhp 4x4 and have no regrets whatsoever on drivetrain - even returned 30mpg at 70mph from Penrith to Cambridge.

I'm surprised the GC600 has sold so few units. It wasn't for us since we wanted a more useable top bunk plus the 5th berth is optimal for our 2yr old who isn't quite ready to go upstairs yet. But we did very seriously look at it and probably would've made the compromise if the Knaus hadn't have been an option.

In summary, great vans for those looking for a lot more space & functionality for very little additional footprint on the road.

I have had Grand California for 3 summers now, and I am a big fan. It is very easy to drive, even in Devon and Cornwall, and the single track roads in Scotland. I have just spent a week at the Sidmouth Folk Festival with no electric hook-up, and the solar panel ensured my Leisure battery remained full. The bed is very comfy, and my golden retriever loves her bed under the table. I chose to part exchange my original California due to Covid making a toilet and wet room a necessity.... but in truth after some hairy times with wind and rain and my awning, and worries about the bellows of the raised roof.....and being a bit fed up not having a fixed bed..... Covid just jogged my arm.... and i have never looked back!

I have had Grand California for 3 summers now, and I am a big fan. It is very easy to drive, even in Devon and Cornwall, and the single track roads in Scotland. I have just spent a week at the Sidmouth Folk Festival with no electric hook-up, and the solar panel ensured my Leisure battery remained full. The bed is very comfy, and my golden retriever loves her bed under the table. I chose to part exchange my original California due to Covid making a toilet and wet room a necessity.... but in truth after some hairy times with wind and rain and my awning, and worries about the bellows of the raised roof.....and being a bit fed up not having a fixed bed..... Covid just jogged my arm.... and i have never looked back!

I susie t we feel the same! What bed did you choose for your golden retriever? Ours gets way over excited whenever we even open the van!

I started her in the back of my old T6California with the bed shelf lifted while she was a puppy…..then she got to ride in the middle with a harness but this was a brief interlude…before I trusted her to lay still…she was very good even despite cushions falling on her when braking etc and on one occasion the under seat drawer opening on her . Now she rides in the Grand California on a rug under the table and is very happy because nothing can fall on her

Reactions: DMC
I started her in the back of my old T6California with the bed shelf lifted while she was a puppy…..then she got to ride in the middle with a harness but this was a brief interlude…before I trusted her to lay still…she was very good even despite cushions falling on her when braking etc and on one occasion the under seat drawer opening on her . Now she rides in the Grand California on a rug under the table and is very happy because nothing can fall on her
HI Beano, how is your dog restrained under the table? I ask purely because I have a GC600 on order and have been wondering what would be the best way to keep my Labrador safe and happy between the passenger seat and rear bench seat.

HI Beano, how is your dog restrained under the table? I ask purely because I have a GC600 on order and have been wondering what would be the best way to keep my Labrador safe and happy between the passenger seat and rear bench seat.
There’s an isofix under the passenger bench. We harness the dog to that and, like Beano, our golden retriever then sits on a rug between the bench and front passenger seat. Very comfortable and safe! We just put the table up for the drive.

The smaller table is a must-have with a dog imho! (https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/pro...g-table-for-the-grand-california-600-and-680/). It then is stored on the passenger side and is just so much better than the bigger one that comes with the van.

We’re camping at the Big Feastival as I type. EHU, which is pleasant. I finally saw another GC! A very early one going by the number plate (2020). I might go introduce myself :)

A family friend is after a camper and loves our Cali but wants something bigger and with a bathroom.

That’s easy I said, the Grand California. However once I started looking into them I got a feeling that VW might have dropped the ball on this one.

The cabin seems cramped as does the bed (600) and also the bed above the front seats too. Also just doesn’t give me the ‘glowing’ feeling that the Cali does. Seems very clinical.

This is a long way of saying, hand on heart I don’t feel comfortable recommending one to them. This family member is the type of person who’d take my advice and order one (very gung-ho, unlike me who researches everything to death!)

I’ve read the various threads about the alternatives and have to say, even though I love our California (I recommend these to anyone who’ll listen) I get the feeling that the Grand California could have been better, it seems some of the alternative Crafter builds are better thought out.

I’ve also seen some ex demos which are sticking around as opposed to Cali’s which are selling like hot cakes.

Happy to be wrong, would be great to hear some thoughts.
Opposite Tardis: Huge on the outside and smaller on the inside…

There’s an isofix under the passenger bench. We harness the dog to that and, like Beano, our golden retriever then sits on a rug between the bench and front passenger seat. Very comfortable and safe! We just put the table up for the drive.

The smaller table is a must-have with a dog imho! (https://+++++++++++++++++++++++/pro...g-table-for-the-grand-california-600-and-680/). It then is stored on the passenger side and is just so much better than the bigger one that comes with the van.

We’re camping at the Big Feastival as I type. EHU, which is pleasant. I finally saw another GC! A very early one going by the number plate (2020). I might go introduce myself :)
Hi @MarkSmith0011, many thanks for your response. I will be using the isofix under the passenger bench then We already have the smaller table, just need the van to go with it now.

Slightly off recent topic but back to original question - I’ve just returned from a fortnight in Normandy in our Knaus BoxDrive 600XL. It sure got some looks whilst driving around and overnighting but I was also amazed at how many times I came across GC600’s whenever we hit campsites.

Now these were almost all German registered vehicles from hire companies, which by the end of the holiday made me wonder whether VW are supporting strong offers to get hire companies to buy them onto their fleets.

So, does this signify a success? It could be read either way. What I know from two weeks and 1100miles in our very similar Knaus - as a family of four using and sleeping it in every day, it was super and so much easier than our T6 Ocean would’ve been. No regrets whatsoever on the bigger vehicle which still managed all the in town touristy visits we wanted to do plus hoofing along the Peage at a respectable speed and only inciting Class 2 tolls the whole way (3.2m high).

Reactions: DMC
Slightly off recent topic but back to original question - I’ve just returned from a fortnight in Normandy in our Knaus BoxDrive 600XL. It sure got some looks whilst driving around and overnighting but I was also amazed at how many times I came across GC600’s whenever we hit campsites.

Now these were almost all German registered vehicles from hire companies, which by the end of the holiday made me wonder whether VW are supporting strong offers to get hire companies to buy them onto their fleets.

So, does this signify a success? It could be read either way. What I know from two weeks and 1100miles in our very similar Knaus - as a family of four using and sleeping it in every day, it was super and so much easier than our T6 Ocean would’ve been. No regrets whatsoever on the bigger vehicle which still managed all the in town touristy visits we wanted to do plus hoofing along the Peage at a respectable speed and only inciting Class 2 tolls the whole way (3.2m high).

It's mainly subjective, right?

A KB is much better for you than a GC so you bought a KB. Sounds like it was a good decision because you're convinced you have a better van.

I much prefer the GC 680 particular from an aesthetic perspective. So I bought a GC. Good decision too because I love the thing.

You saw many hire company GCs and chose to believe VW must be doing incredible deals to persuade otherwise reluctant companies to buy their vans.
An alternative view would be that camper hire companies' purchasers really know what they're doing when it comes to buying vans - more so than the average private buyer - and they believe the quality and sell-on values will be higher for a GC.
Who knows which of these is true? Maybe neither. Maybe a bit of both.

Back