Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

Perhaps the question should have been, why is the Grand California not more successful than it already is ?
VW has spent years building the California brand, have a loyal customer base and a terrific base vehicle in the Crafter but for many both models fall short.

Who says it isn't successful?

Total of six secondhand for sale nationally across VW and Autotrader which when you take into account 3 distinct versions - GC680, GC600 2 berth & GC 600 4 berth doesn't give you a lot of choice.
Long wait for a factory order.
That suggests they are selling as many as they can make.

Who are the many that it falls short for? just because it doesn't suit your needs doesn't mean its wrong for everybody.

Perhaps the question should have been, why is the Grand California not more successful than it already is ?
VW has spent years building the California brand, have a loyal customer base and a terrific base vehicle in the Crafter but for many both models fall short.
Be interesting to hear your views on why both models fall short.

We went to see the GC600 that Swansway Birmingham have for sale. Very tidy as it’s only been used by VW as a show vehicle but we decided it wasn’t for us yet, maybe in a couple of years when I can’t get in the roof any more. However I’ve just noticed that they have dropped the price by £4k so may be worth a look if someone doesn’t want to wait for a new one.

I loved my Cali and would loved a GC, but isn't it a little odd that the four birth van is smaller than the two.
Looked at a 600, but teenagers didn't like the sleeping arrangements compared to the Cali poptop, having sleeping arrangements that works are fundamental.
Other brands seam to be hovering up Cali owners, Hymer, westfelia and knaus.
It's sad, just feels like a mist opportunity, the option of a poptop in the 680 would be welcome.
In todays world just because you can't get something quickly doesn't equate to it being a success, component shortage is the more likely reason.
Anyone one know how many GCs were registered
In 2021/22 compared to Cali

Last edited:
Very crowded market place, and premium price I'm guessing.

The interior is probably marmite too, although I much prefer it over the faux wood in most campers/motorhomes.

I loved my Cali and would loved a GC, but isn't it a little odd that the four birth van is smaller than the two.
Looked at a 600, but teenagers didn't like the sleeping arrangements compared to the Cali poptop, having sleeping arrangements that works are fundamental.
Other brands seam to be hovering up Cali owners, Hymer, westfelia and knaus.
It's sad, just feels like a mist opportunity, the option of a poptop in the 680 would be welcome.
In todays world just because you can't get something quickly doesn't equate to it being a success, component shortage is the more likely reason.
Any one know how many GCs were registered
Easy to add an aftermarket poptop to a 680 if that's what you want.

I did that to a previous van, and actually one of the reasons I went for the 600, because the poptop is simply too cold to sleep in for most of the year. The 600 top bed, is perfect.

Every van is a compromise.

In todays world just because you can't get something quickly doesn't equate to it being a success, component shortage is the more likely reason

Any one know how many GCs were registered

In todays world just because you can't get something quickly doesn't equate to it being a success, component shortage is the more likely reason - Well how can VW sell more if they can't build them? Its hardly a failure on the marketing / sales side if they've sold all they can make.

Theres now 281 uk registered GCs so 4 times as many as when the thread started.

Interestingly Westfalia have registered just 36 of that size panel vans since 2014 & Knaus 64 Boxstar vans since 2014 so it looks more like a case of VW hoovering up the opposition in a niche market, having sold 3 times as many as those two combined in a third of the time.

Andy, which site provided these figures, would be interested to check out the number of Hymer campers sold, again being told that Hymer supply is unlikely in 2023.
Is that popularity or lack of Sprinter base vehicle?

We've owned our 680 for just under a year now and overall we're very happy with it and don’t regret our purchase at all..
We use it on average around 2 weeks in every month (including winter) mainly on campsites so extra power and water capacity are not an issue for us.
The van was an ex-demo (because we wanted one immediately) and I believe the dealer sorted all the teething problems as we have had no issues at all (touching wood ). Even the original kitchen tap is fine and the standard mattress is very comfortable with just a standard elasticated mattress topper.
It's been mentioned previously that most posters on forums, YouTube etc are owners who have issues as there is a tendency for positive comments not to get posted.
I find people's comments about value for money a bit frustrating as they assume that VW haven't carried out any market research and don’t have any expertise in motor vehicle pricing - that is plainly ridiculous.
You can of course buy cheaper campervans but when you look closely at them you can see why they are cheaper. They are nether better or worse just different and their market research teams would had used the same data to determine their market price. So the price argument is fairly redundant. It's like comparing a Kia with an Audi they may look the same but they are different - again not better or worse just different..
So greetings to the silent (majority) happy GC owners out there!!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Well said, I totally agree. I am very happy with my GC680 even with the few issues.

In todays world just because you can't get something quickly doesn't equate to it being a success, component shortage is the more likely reason - Well how can VW sell more if they can't build them? Its hardly a failure on the marketing / sales side if they've sold all they can make.

Theres now 281 uk registered GCs so 4 times as many as when the thread started.

Interestingly Westfalia have registered just 36 of that size panel vans since 2014 & Knaus 64 Boxstar vans since 2014 so it looks more like a case of VW hoovering up the opposition in a niche market, having sold 3 times as many as those two combined in a third of the time.

That's Game Set and Match I'd say

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I started this thread many moons ago.

I wasn’t interested in a Grand at the time, but having sold our Ocean I’ve been tempted.

Pretty shocked to find there’s no option for proper air con, heated seats are optional as are side airbags, wow!!

I wasn’t interested in a Grand at the time, but having sold our Ocean I’ve been tempted.

Pretty shocked to find there’s no option for proper air con, heated seats are optional as are side airbags, wow!!
Yes, but a heated steering wheel is standard, not even available as an option on an Ocean

Engine Aircon wouldn't be able to deal with internal volume of a Grand.

Aftermarket option would be more practical.

Engine Aircon wouldn't be able to deal with internal volume of a Grand.
Its available in other markets but not the UK

Its available in other markets but not the UK
Shows it as an option in UK??

Roof air conditioning system​

Price incl. VAT £ 2,202 ⁠2Price incl. VAT £ 2,202, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee, Delivery to Van Centre, Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Number Plates. Pricing subject to change including in the event of change in the applicable VED or VAT rates. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles may change RRPs at any time (this includes where there are government changes in regulation and/or legislation). There may be a delay to any RRP displaying correctly on our materials. Always obtain prices from your chosen Van Centre. From 1 April 2020, the official CO2 emissions values used to calculate Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges changed for all passenger carrier registrations in the UK, due to a change in the method of testing. This will affect the recommended 'on the road' price you pay (in most circumstances, prices will increase). Choice of wheels and other options may affect fuel consumption and emissions data (which may affect the amount of VED payable and therefore the ROTR price). Please consult your local Van Centre for details of VED charges and recommended 'on the road' prices applicable to passenger carriers registered after 1 April 2020. Where additional equipment is required by chosen options, this will be at additional cost.

Shows it as an option in UK??

Price incl. VAT £ 2,202 ⁠2Price incl. VAT £ 2,202, Total recommended price of the vehicle includes VAT & OTR. On the Road (OTR) includes: First Registration Fee,
We are talking at cross purposes - I assumed @reserves was talking about Climatronic Zoned aircon for the cab, what you do get is the basic single zone system as shown below, continental vans have the two zone system with digital display

If its the roof aircon that reserves was talking about, it may be that he's trying to configure it on a 3.5tnne van that has already had sufficient options added that it would go overweight with the aircon, the configurator then wouldn't let you add it.

IMG_5784.jpeg

We are talking at cross purposes - I assumed @reserves was talking about Climatronic Zoned aircon for the cab, what you do get is the basic single zone system as shown below, continental vans have the two zone system with digital display

I was, sorry for not being clear.

The dual digital air con in the Ocean / California is great.

@andyinluton

Do you now have a Grand? I’ve been away from here for a while so have lost track. I seem to remember you had a T6.1 Ocean. If there’s a post about why you switched would be great to read it.

You didn’t mention the upper roof bed. Designed for a family of pixies and dwarfs…

@andyinluton

Do you now have a Grand? I’ve been away from here for a while so have lost track. I seem to remember you had a T6.1 Ocean. If there’s a post about why you switched would be great to read it.
Yes went from T6.1 Ocean to GC600 & just changed back to T6.1 Ocean

Short version - semi retired, went back to work full time, needed a car size vehicle.

Nothing wrong with a GC & if I need a bigger van in a few years its probably what I would get.

I am recommend you look Hymer - Mercedes camper - is many model to each taste and desire you can for sure find a model which is fit you.
Gc is very little choices model.

I am deep thinking now if sell my Gc and buy H-M i am think is may it be better For Me camper than is Gc.

My friends are arrive they new Gc several days now and is a true delight - is make me not like my Gc now when i have see they beautiful H-M!. Really - you must go see before you are give Vw you pennies!.

From my experience, the GC is not suitable for everyone as it has many flaws, but it also possesses great features. I previously owned a Ducato-based campervan from Laika, and the comparison between the two is like night and day. The Crafter drives much better, feels significantly safer, and the construction and material quality of the furniture in the GC are on another level. After owning the Ducato for a year, everything started to fall off and rattle, whereas the GC feels more sturdy. I am extremely satisfied with the GC, although it's important to note that there is no perfect campervan. With that being said, I would not be willing to pay the price of a brand-new one. I purchased mine from a dealership, and it was pre-owned with only 5000 miles.

From my experience, the GC is not suitable for everyone as it has many flaws, but it also possesses great features. I previously owned a Ducato-based campervan from Laika, and the comparison between the two is like night and day. The Crafter drives much better, feels significantly safer, and the construction and material quality of the furniture in the GC are on another level. After owning the Ducato for a year, everything started to fall off and rattle, whereas the GC feels more sturdy. I am extremely satisfied with the GC, although it's important to note that there is no perfect campervan. With that being said, I would not be willing to pay the price of a brand-new one. I purchased mine from a dealership, and it was pre-owned with only 5000 miles.

You risk bringing this thread into disrepute, with you well balanced and thoughtful contribution!

Now fifty-one weeks into ownership of a four berth 3.88t GC 600, I find the table too large and the bed difficult to clamber into. It's lovely to drive, very well put together, loads of general storage, though the kitchen could do with a few more drawers and cupboards, and, notwithstanding the above, comfortable to live in for three of us and a dog. As for cost, I bought it on a PCP, with low interest, a significant discount and four years servicing.

Our third van, so we knew what we were looking for, it does exactly what we expected it to do, and now, a key reason for buying it has become apparent. Either the fridge drains the battery in less than eight hours, which it shouldn't, or the battery is wrongly wired, or the battery is faulty, or a combination of these, but the van goes in, on an agreed date, to be main dealer serviced and have warranty work undertaken, all in one go, all in one place. Sadly, neither of the previous allowed this, and one required recourse to the small claims court to get a resolution to an enduring problem.

So, does my tale have a moral? Of course not, as I have no intention of preaching to people who can make their own minds up about how, where and when they spend their money. However, to conclude, I will state the obvious, which is to do the research, know your legal rights, and don't expect to find the perfect campervan however much you pay ........... oh, and as big as you can cope with inside, and as small outside!

I like it and might consider it as an option. Although vw's after sales is a bit scary...precisely because they have sold so few of them. Another stopper for me is that I don't think you can put a roof rack on it, can you? I never see pics of a GC with the roof loaded.

I like it and might consider it as an option. Although vw's after sales is a bit scary...precisely because they have sold so few of them. Another stopper for me is that I don't think you can put a roof rack on it, can you? I never see pics of a GC with the roof loaded.

Be keen to know this.

If I can’t take surfboards up to 8ft then it rules it out 100% for me

Back