Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is the Grand California a success?

Mid 50s…
you’re probably at the younger end of the Grand California market spectrum.
Enjoy the van :thumb

Mid 50s…
you’re probably at the younger end of the Grand California market spectrum.
Enjoy the van :thumb

Actually it probably makes him one of the older GC owners on here, the acrobatics required to get into bed rule out the real oldies!

Actually it probably makes him one of the older GC owners on here, the acrobatics required to get into bed rule out the real oldies!
I'm younger :happy although technically don't have one quite yet.
Is the bed issue a height thing? Or the approach road is a bit narrow?

Ha, my wife is quite short so extra acrobatics (a step is on the list)

It amused me , actually I think it was one of the converters (Hymer/westfalia/La strada) brochures I was looking at that had age related people in their photos relative to the categories, they didn’t say it but subliminally stereotyped at ~Cali conversion under 45, young kids, panel van conversion 50-60 retired no kids, motor home over 60s grand kids

Which is about me, ocean with young kids up to 12, Beach in between, GC (aspirational overland vehicle but reality no chance of any overlanding) now they are teenage/Going to college/uni.

I will try to enjoy the van

On a 600 the approach is narrow & the bed is high - really needs a step, & then invariably I get to sleep at the back of the van & the Mrs is already in bed so have to climb over her as well.

It’s not bad at all, step into the ‘gap, and push up an inch or two I’m 5’10” with short legs and I didn’t notice, my wife is 5’ and an easy push up but she said ‘I want a step!’ Didn’t help we have a std sheet on which makes the gap less defined.

Heading to duvalay Thu for measure up so hope to sort that soon.

It’s not bad at all, step into the ‘gap, and push up an inch or two I’m 5’10” with short legs and I didn’t notice, my wife is 5’ and an easy push up but she said ‘I want a step!’ Didn’t help we have a std sheet on which makes the gap less defined.

Heading to duvalay Thu for measure up so hope to sort that soon.
What gap? you don't get a gap on the 600.

Agree with much of what you said, I purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon on a Sprinter base 18 months ago purley because it had the ability to sleep two teenagers in a sizeable poptop .
Would seriously consider 680 if four birth.
600 Cali 4 birth to much of a compromise hence the Hymer.
Which insidently has been fantastic, 10,000 miles no problems, upgraded to 4 t as we tend to travel heavy and averaging 28 mpg.

What gap? you don't get a gap on the 600.
GC680, apologies. there is a cutout in the bed in the middle to facilitate access to the extra cupboards and wardrobe lower. Some people have a removable insert for that. Depends on what is preferable, easier access or place for feet in the middle of the bed

By the time you’re added a extra mattress/topper you need a little assistance.
Mini trampolines are available at various colours to suit your colour scheme!

View attachment 94148
my plan is single, high quality, but not massive deep mattrass to replace the original. Duvalay 2.5cm should be fine, 5 would be awesome, std mattrass is about 8cm so quite thick but fairly low density.
Agree with much of what you said, I purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon on a Sprinter base 18 months ago purley because it had the ability to sleep two teenagers in a sizeable poptop .
Would seriously consider 680 if four birth.
600 Cali 4 birth to much of a compromise hence the Hymer.
Which insidently has been fantastic, 10,000 miles no problems, upgraded to 4 t as we tend to travel heavy and averaging 28 mpg.
I looked at Gc too. All hard to get hold of!

Last edited:
An interesting read for me as a new owner who was reluctant to a degree due to reading of all the problems.

I managed to find that very rare beast a GC680 used, having missed out on the 4wd one I wanted by one hour so even that was a compromise (tho I prefer the colour of the one I got) . I paid slightly less than a fully loaded T6.1 Ocean which was the same answer I got when I checked the new price, similar price to a high spec, 2wd dealer Ocean but basically a new price even though approved used but to be expected with a 16mnth waiting list.

From experience of 2 Cali's an ocean and a beach, both of which have their fair share of niggles/issues, its also clear this applies to many coachbuilt conversions.

I couldn't find the balance of compromise I wanted in a conversion at less than 120k OR I simply couldn't get the one I thought I could live with as a result of Brexit, no dealers, no euro dealers wanted to deal with me.I also couldn't get what I wanted until end 23 earliest.

I did not want a fridge due to width, I did want a bathroom and not to have to faff around with bed making.
I agree the lounge is smallish and I wish the bench reclined a bit. The latter solved with a cushion mind. I would eant more 'offgrid' but I can see, thanks to this forum, how that is easily achievable at moderate cost even if a little more inconvenient than being 'built in'.

I watched bus and beyond and it was a game changer, I see the sterile criticism and can understand that but some led ambients (yes fairy) lights , colour on the bed, some adventure stickers on the cabinets and it changes the inside completely.

Personally when out we spend 80% of our time outside not watching telly in a lounge, but if we do spend it inside, just like in the Cali, we eat then pile cushions on the bed and crash there with an Ipad or laptop and a film.

I want(ed - still in my mind) an RP Rebellion but I really don't like fake wood with a passion, , a caravan lounge area - hate the thought so have discussed eliminating both with them and I wouldn't want the much lauded up and over door as its a PITA with the mtb's I need to carry. and of course the price, >£150k

I did want a high ground clearance 4wd (which the GC doesn't have as not higher unlike Sprinter) but equally nervous about the Sprinter, base vehicle reliability and dealer network reputation.

ALL of the alternatives in a similar panel van, including conversions, were as much or more than the GC for a similar spec, Knaus Box drive, Seven Hedin, Hymer Grand Canyon (and most 6m - my original thought) and I was already nervous about the cost since I didn't know if I would like anything bigger than the T6 due to the everyday convenience and never worrying about parking.

So tho that might seem off topic, the point is I think it is a different market to a cali as described, and whilst a compromise it was the best compromise for me at this time and it is quite likely I'll stick with it based on initial impressions.
To answer the question a year on from the thread, they are rare used still, maybe because of the production issue still but not only that, the GC680 more rare but to be expected as 3.8T and 2 berth but I think this is a particular market (look a the marketing photo's, quite age targeted, yes I am mid 50's, active, heading to semi retirement, want to travel with my wife around Europe as the kids leave home to Uni etc...stereotype me! ).

It looks to me that it is a success in Europe as it is a good price point for this kind of van with a modern and fresh interior with a good dealer network.
Couldn’t agree more. We are in our mid 50’s and fortunate enough to be retired. We spent 8 weeks in France last year snd are 4 weeks into our 16 week trip in France/Spain this year snd love the 680. It is easy to live in for long periods off grid and in Aire’s snd campsites. We love it and find it great for a couple
John

Couldn’t agree more. We are in our mid 50’s and fortunate enough to be retired. We spent 8 weeks in France last year snd are 4 weeks into our 16 week trip in France/Spain this year snd love the 680. It is easy to live in for long periods off grid and in Aire’s snd campsites. We love it and find it great for a couple
John
That is just what I wanted to hear

We have a small plastic collapsible step, makes getting in and out of bed easier and also helps make sure we don’t step on the dogs they sleep underneath.

We have a small plastic collapsible step, makes getting in and out of bed easier and also helps make sure we don’t step on the dogs they sleep underneath.
For me it’s a night thing as I’m 5ft 7” so I use a foldable step, also doubles up for unwinding the awning.
Best,
Will

so I use a foldable step, also doubles up for unwinding the awning.
Best,
Will
Why don’t you just extend the awning winding handle?

That is just what I wanted to hear
We've owned our 680 for just under a year now and overall we're very happy with it and don’t regret our purchase at all..
We use it on average around 2 weeks in every month (including winter) mainly on campsites so extra power and water capacity are not an issue for us.
The van was an ex-demo (because we wanted one immediately) and I believe the dealer sorted all the teething problems as we have had no issues at all (touching wood ). Even the original kitchen tap is fine and the standard mattress is very comfortable with just a standard elasticated mattress topper.
It's been mentioned previously that most posters on forums, YouTube etc are owners who have issues as there is a tendency for positive comments not to get posted.
I find people's comments about value for money a bit frustrating as they assume that VW haven't carried out any market research and don’t have any expertise in motor vehicle pricing - that is plainly ridiculous.
You can of course buy cheaper campervans but when you look closely at them you can see why they are cheaper. They are nether better or worse just different and their market research teams would had used the same data to determine their market price. So the price argument is fairly redundant. It's like comparing a Kia with an Audi they may look the same but they are different - again not better or worse just different..
So greetings to the silent (majority) happy GC owners out there!!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

We've owned our 680 for just under a year now and overall we're very happy with it and don’t regret our purchase at all..
We use it on average around 2 weeks in every month (including winter) mainly on campsites so extra power and water capacity are not an issue for us.
The van was an ex-demo (because we wanted one immediately) and I believe the dealer sorted all the teething problems as we have had no issues at all (touching wood ). Even the original kitchen tap is fine and the standard mattress is very comfortable with just a standard elasticated mattress topper.
It's been mentioned previously that most posters on forums, YouTube etc are owners who have issues as there is a tendency for positive comments not to get posted.
I find people's comments about value for money a bit frustrating as they assume that VW haven't carried out any market research and don’t have any expertise in motor vehicle pricing - that is plainly ridiculous.
You can of course buy cheaper campervans but when you look closely at them you can see why they are cheaper. They are nether better or worse just different and their market research teams would had used the same data to determine their market price. So the price argument is fairly redundant. It's like comparing a Kia with an Audi they may look the same but they are different - again not better or worse just different..

Lovely to hear. I don't get the price thing either , as I mentioned in my post(s) everything else I looked at that was comparable (or wasn't; high spec Ocean) was more expensive, even conversions. It only seemed to get cheaper if you go caravan body on the back of a chassis which has its own challenges.

I can live with a new tap at IP rated (the fix hence going to 33mm bore) if that fails; I can easily and cheaply heat the waste water tank if its cold or add some extra off grid storage and solar (if it becomes an issue for me, like you I think we are likely to be 75% campsite).

Maybe this question is more is it a success in the UK since I see many in Europe, NZ and what appears to be lots of happy owners of 600's and 680s.

Last edited:

And my wheels are on the way, I have your posts to thank for that, cheers :) Not sure whether to swop myself or fill up the van and take to my local tyre place!

Nicely put. Love it.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this but on Youtube, California Chris has done a two part comparison of the Cali Ocean vs the GC. It is very interesting to hear about some of the subtle differences. By the end I got the feeing that he prefers the Ocean but he doesn't say so directly. It is quite subtle but to me obvious. The two things that seem to swing it for him are the dining space and the fact that the upper beds in the GC are for kids only.
I'm 5ft 10" and sleep in the top bed just fine.

It has a load capacity of 150KG.

I'm 5ft 10" and sleep in the top bed just fine.

It has a load capacity of 150KG.
I slept up there a couple of nights last week. Its cosy but a perfectly acceptable place to sleep. Its only limitation is not being able to sit up to read a book, watch TV etc.

Where it does work well is that there is sufficient headroom underneath to still use the seats / table whilst the bed is in use and as the bed doesn't extend over the kitchen you still have full hight standing space around that area.

Perhaps the question should have been, why is the Grand California not more successful than it already is ?
VW has spent years building the California brand, have a loyal customer base and a terrific base vehicle in the Crafter but for many both models fall short.

Back