Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is there such a thing as a rattle free California Ocean ??

joe g

joe g

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This is not a moan, far from it. We have had our Cali wagon (10 month old Ocean) for 10 days or so and we are loving it, already stayed at places we wouldn't have got to before it. Thing is though, every time I sort a rattle another one crops up and then sometimes they all just go away......for a while. I just turn the music up and enjoy. So I'm wondering if I'm just trying to hold the tide back and should just chill and turn the music up more.........looks like it might be able to go to 11 :cool:

This is not a moan, far from it. We have had our Cali wagon (10 month old Ocean) for 10 days or so and we are loving it, already stayed at places we wouldn't have got to before it. Thing is though, every time I sort a rattle another one crops up and then sometimes they all just go away......for a while. I just turn the music up and enjoy. So I'm wondering if I'm just trying to hold the tide back and should just chill and turn the music up more.........looks like it might be able to go to 11 :cool:
I have lots of felt pads and velcro in the back of my Cali ready to pounce on any unsuspecting Rattle Rat or Creaking Crone. Generally we have nailed the most disturbing ones and have a peaceful life but are on guard for the odd infiltrator!

I have no idea...it’s a campervan and the radio turned up sorts any rattles out

Just grabbed my WD40 spray can today, hoping to eliminate a squeek, aaahhh, succes !
Part of the experience i think ..

I have lots of felt pads and velcro in the back of my Cali ready to pounce on any unsuspecting Rattle Rat or Creaking Crone. Generally we have nailed the most disturbing ones and have a peaceful life but are on guard for the odd infiltrator!
Thought velcro and felt would be my friends :)

Haha embrace it. I went from a whisper smooth Porsche to a Campervan with a f@<€ing cutlery tray and sliding bathroom door in it. (My first Camper an Auto Sleeper T5) I soon got over my rattle issues.

Must be lucky but with a few small microfibre towels in the kitchen cupboard mine is actually rattle and noise free. I sometimes have to tighten the awning but that apart don't even need the radio as it is quiet.

No!

Well, not in my case anyway.
Tried a bunch of things, but some I can't seem to sort out.
Wonderfull if you take the peage in France, but when you go to yellow or white, preferably very small white roads on the Michelin map: Welcome every noise you might have ever heard in your life.

I kind of like the rattles. Feels like the van is reminding me about all the camping gear it’s holding ready for our next trip!
My husband on the other hand.....

I have just completed a 2800 mile trip from Aberdeenshire to the south of France and back, Can’t remember hearing any ratting at all

Is there anyone else on here who has recruited someone else do drive so you can go hunting for the squeak? Just me?
Yes I did. I got my wife to sit in the back and try to find an incredibly annoying tapping sound.
Problem was we ended up having a ‘domestic’ as she insisted it was in the dashboard area and I said it was coming from the kitchen unit area.
I ended up going around the kitchen unit lightly tapping all areas and found it was the glass cover to the cooker where the tiny sticky rubber buffers had moved three thousandth of an inch, causing the tapping noise every time you went over a bump.
Which is every few feet in the Scottish Highlands!
As you can guess I was pretty smug over my discovery.
Repositioning the buffer cured the problem by the way!

Something in my drivers door rattles but it never used to, I'm going to take it in before the warranty runs out i think.

Something in my drivers door rattles but it never used to, I'm going to take it in before the warranty runs out i think.

Make sure it’s not the awning. On our ocean, the awning rattles after driving a short distance following winding it in. It’s a “hollow” metal rattle, which I would have sworn was coming from the door. Solution is just to tweak the awning up tight.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

The awning all day long is my chief culprit for “noises off”.
Have tried more foam pads (have stock at all times).
Best noise suppression so far has been a roll of 20 bin bags and sock at the forward end (see pic) They stay in place all the time, the awning operates and rolls out as normal and apart from serious ruts in some of Scotland’s finest single track roads on the North Coast 500, rattled and clangs from the awning “can” are greatly reduced after 5 months of “ noise patrol, including the domestic of “its coming from here” , “ it cannot be”, “I don’t believe it”

161D14C5-B099-4A5C-AAFB-1F007A7FA852.jpeg

Our main culprit for rattles seems to be the big metal sliding drawer under the rear seat in our SE. If anyone has any tips for sorting it please shout up:thumb Seems to be less rattles when someone is sat on the rear seat, however that’s quite rare nowadays usually just the two of us in the van..

Had little trouble with this as usually packed with soft items( organiser trays from IKea) and then tv case with tv locks everything in place.
However would be interested in latch design. In the 2018 model year they seem quite heavy duty and a very precise lock for the drawer. Are the the same design in the SE?2D85224C-931A-4733-A6B1-4AD8869E815F.jpeg02E898CD-8687-48A2-8206-52EE35CC251A.jpegC4B336CE-B0B2-4819-89BC-275A2878F535.jpeg

Had little trouble with this as usually packed with soft items( organiser trays from IKea) and then tv case with tv locks everything in place.
However would be interested in latch design. In the 2018 model year they seem quite heavy duty and a very precise lock for the drawer. Are the the same design in the SE?View attachment 48128View attachment 48129View attachment 48130

Wow that’s one very neat drawer :D I do like those organisers though, are they made of some sort of heavy duty material? I think the locking mechanism is the same, it seems very sturdy. I’ll take a look later, might even stick a few Velcro pads round the latch area see if that helps.

I found lining the draw with the brandrup carpet set made a big difference. Stops the whole draw acting like a drum when its empty as well as stopping things rattling against the metal.

I found lining the draw with the brandrup carpet set made a big difference. Stops the whole draw acting like a drum when its empty as well as stopping things rattling against the metal.

Good idea, we have an assortment of cr*p in that drawer but I recall we have a thick blanket in there, don’t know why we’ve never used it:rolleyes: I might get everything out and line the drawer with the blanket see if that helps. Maybe even throw away some of the accumulated cr*p, assuming the wife’s not looking:D

Seem quite sturdy textured material, fold flat and wipe clean with zip in base so can fold flat for storage. Great for organising this drawer contents.
Try the right hand side of the drawer opening for your foam / Velcro padimage.jpg0A29CC60-2B51-4E4F-A59E-2794B0680C1F.jpeg

Back