Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is this the most expensive Cali ever!

There’s a few 90k cali for sale on autotrader they’re been sat there a while now.
Will be interesting to see if any can achieve that in depths of winter. Maybe able to in springtime

why would anyone spend 90 large when you could get a nice 1 year old model for around 60 and save yer sen whopping 30 large in the process ?

why would anyone spend 90 large when you could get a nice 1 year old model for around 60 and save yer sen whopping 30 large in the process ?
I guess that’s why they are still there, and that £57k 19plate 4motion sold very quick on forum.
Still good if you are about to sell ;)

As with houses, you can ask what you want. But it only takes one Muppet to part with 90 big ones and everyone thinks they can ask the same. I think £50-60k is a huge amount, but £90k for a posh builder's van just seems crazy. Maybe I am out of touch.

There are currently 92 California's listed on the VW Used Van Website, 40 listed as beaches, the rest Oceans/Coast I assume. The most expensive one is £77k.
Never seen so many for sale.
The odd private seller asking north of £80k, good luck to them.
Madness.

Where are all these 1 year old £60k vans? on the VW system all the Oceans under £60k are at least 3 years old with 20k + miles

There are currently 92 California's listed on the VW Used Van Website, 40 listed as beaches, the rest Oceans/Coast I assume. The most expensive one is £77k.
Never seen so many for sale.
The odd private seller asking north of £80k, good luck to them.
Madness.
The private sellers over £80k are for just delivered 4motion vans with a handful of miles on the clock.
The £79k one on the VW site is a year old, has done 10K miles and is 2wd.
You are not really comparing like for like.

Here's one, although it doesn't have the clayton wheels described.
Thats not an Ocean, its a Coast with just the comfort mat & paint as options & a naff set of aftermarket wheels.

Thats not an Ocean, its a Coast with just the comfort mat & paint as options & a naff set of aftermarket wheels.
True, but @flying banana didn't suggest £60k would get you a 1 year old Ocean, just a nice 1 year old model. Its pretty nice, despite the naff alloys

The private sellers over £80k are for just delivered 4motion vans with a handful of miles on the clock.
The £79k one on the VW site is a year old, has done 10K miles and is 2wd.
You are not really comparing like for like.
I’m not comparing. Just commenting on the number for sale on the VW approved site, what It looks like is VW approved don’t have any Cali’s for sale that are newer than a year old, which in itself is unusual.

So it's just leas than a new one with the options. Seems a reasonable deal in the current market, buy now or wait 12 to 18 months, take your choice. In fact you might not be able to buy a new one and will have to fork out the extra for a new Ocean.

Here's one, although it doesn't have the clayton wheels described. Why can't sellers of these great vehicles spend a few minutes getting the spec right, and inspire a bit of confidence you are getting what you're paying for?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111249888655?postcode=e83bg&include-delivery-option=on&advertising-location=at_cars&model=California&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&price-to=65000&radius=1500&sort=price-desc&make=Volkswagen&price-from=55000&page=2
Interesting advert of the bottom of that autotrader page; Kombi up for £67k. Makes the Coast look cheap.

It’s all the finance and equity release deals that are driving up demand.
People are now living for today and not worrying as much about longterm.
I’ve noticed that most ads for new cars highlight the “monthly“ cost rather than the total cost.

Where are all these 1 year old £60k vans? on the VW system all the Oceans under £60k are at least 3 years old with 20k + miles
ok. 65k seems to get plenty of 1 yr old models. certainly better than 90k

I’ve noticed that most ads for new cars highlight the “monthly“ cost rather than the total cost.
They do this to change the "perceived price". One may be willing to pay 995/month for five years, but not 55000 at once... Old marketing trick ;)

They do this to change the "perceived price". One may be willing to pay 995/month for five years, but not 55000 at once... Old marketing trick ;)
Agree, and when you do enter into a discussion with the sale person they seem to assume you are going to sign up to a finance deal…… the old days of “discount for cash” have long gone!

Agree, and when you do enter into a discussion with the sale person they seem to assume you are going to sign up to a finance deal…… the old days of “discount for cash” have long gone!
Discount for credit instead.

When we bought our Skoda Citigo it was cheaper to buy on credit and then cancel that credit agreement the same day than pay cash... All that ridiculous paperwork and credit checks... And to add insult to injury, the salesman insisted that it was a requirement from the financial services ombudsman that I sign a disclaimer that I didn't want a very pricey package of gap insurance, car seat spray treatment, footwell mats and a FREE (the salesman's emphasis) first service. And, intriguingly, the salesman denied the existence of a two year factory warranty extension until I proved it to him on their website, even then he insisted the offer was only for factory orders and not stock vehicles, until I got him to phone and check.

I got a £1000 'deposit contribution' for taking out finance, and paid the maximum 50% deposit in cash. I expected to pay off the rest in short order with a 3.1% bank loan, but when I realised VW APR was 2.8% I decided to keep VW's finance deal. I was expecting for it to be much higher. If I take off the £1000, its costing me £940 to borrow £33,216 for 4 years.

I got a £1000 'deposit contribution' for taking out finance, and paid the maximum 50% deposit in cash. I expected to pay off the rest in short order with a 3.1% bank loan, but when I realised VW APR was 2.8% I decided to keep VW's finance deal. I was expecting for it to be much higher. If I take off the £1000, its costing me £940 to borrow £33,216 for 4 years.
Is your maths correct?

Do you borrow the £33k and 2.8% for four years then repay it, or do you repay it over four years?

2.8% of £33,216 is £929 per year, cost £3,720 over four years.
But £940 total of a £33,216 loan for four years is about 0.7% per year.

Is your maths correct?
Sounds right to me.
£33k at 2.8% is £924

£924 x 4 years = £3,696.00 ( interest if the whole £33k is paid back at the end of 4 years, rather than in monthly instalments)

£3,696.00 X 50% ( the average balance over the 4 years if paid back monthly) = £1848

£1848 less the £1k from VW = £848

@66tim99 I think the correct terminology is borrowing £33,216 over 4 years rather than borrowing it for four years.

Last edited:
Isn’t that £940 per year?

Back