Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is thuis the GPS receiver?

J

Jo_elektro

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Shortly after buying our 2ns hand T5.1 I noticed that the right wing mirror was a little wobbly and I started disassembling it for repair which was a success.
But on my way in I found not only the DAB antenna (and the FM combined) but also something which looks like a GPS receiver.
This I found strange because our van was delivered at the time from production with the sad piece of junk of a radio named RNS-310.
This does not have any gps functionality and nothing of this sort is connected on the back.

So if this is the GPS receiver, is it standard in all van’s no matter what radio? And where does it go to?
I opened up the glovebox so search for the cable but couldn’t quite spot it.
Would be nice to use this for the Kenwood DNX Navi I am about to install instead of the RNS.

The GPS receiver is usually in the mirror, it may be cheaper for VW to put it in everyone than to have different mirrors? I don't know if it is the actual receiver but they do indeed put them i the mirrors.

I still have that piece of s**t RCD310. When I installed my other piece of shht Android navigation unit, I first installed the included GPS antenna behind the glovebox. It took up to 1 minute to find some GPS signal after every start, but it worked from that.
When I had to replace my electrical retracting mirrors due to the motors failing, I found that original GPS antenna too.
I disconnectec the DAB antenna in the passenger door and connected the GPS antenna to the black connector of the DAB antenna. In connected the DAB antenna to the Android junk and from that day on, it takes mostly not 10 seconds to get a GPS fix after every start!

I still have that piece of s**t RCD310. When I installed my other piece of shht Android navigation unit, I first installed the included GPS antenna behind the glovebox. It took up to 1 minute to find some GPS signal after every start, but it worked from that.
When I had to replace my electrical retracting mirrors due to the motors failing, I found that original GPS antenna too.
I disconnectec the DAB antenna in the passenger door and connected the GPS antenna to the black connector of the DAB antenna. In connected the DAB antenna to the Android junk and from that day on, it takes mostly not 10 seconds to get a GPS fix after every start!
I also fitted the Kenwood GPS receiver behind the glovebox and it works pretty good.
The VW DAB antenna from the mirror is also connected and is working perfectly (in Belgium )
I think the coax from the mirror GPS receiver dives down behind the dash somewhere in the floor but haven’t go a clue where is emerges again. Not behind the radio, that’s for sure.

The cable from the GPS antenna is not connected. In mine, it was hanging loose (well, fixed, but not connected) in the right door, behind the door panel.
I connected it to the DAB antenna cable, that runs through the rubber hose from the right door, straight behind the dash into the hole of the radio.
Unless yours is connected and disappears somewhere.

If I look in ETKA, my van doesn't have the GPS antenna, but in real life, mine has.
I think they just put those mirrors together with all the pieces instead of selecting which does and does not have a GPS unit.
Does your California have electrical retracting mirrors? Mine has and maybe because of this "high end" feature, it was completed with GPS antenna?

The cable from the GPS antenna is not connected. In mine, it was hanging loose (well, fixed, but not connected) in the right door, behind the door panel.
I connected it to the DAB antenna cable, that runs through the rubber hose from the right door, straight behind the dash into the hole of the radio.
Unless yours is connected and disappears somewhere.

If I look in ETKA, my van doesn't have the GPS antenna, but in real life, mine has.
I think they just put those mirrors together with all the pieces instead of selecting which does and does not have a GPS unit.
Does your California have electrical retracting mirrors? Mine has and maybe because of this "high end" feature, it was completed with GPS antenna?
I wish I had electrical retracting mirrors but I haven’t.
If I have time I will check behind the door panel but at the moment the “gps behind the glovebox” is working excellently.
Many thanks for your feedback.

I wish I had electrical retracting mirrors but I haven’t.
If I have time I will check behind the door panel but at the moment the “gps behind the glovebox” is working excellently.
Many thanks for your feedback.
I wonder if this is the solution to the mysterious price difference between the Beach Composition Media (£474) and the Ocean Composition Media (£198). The Ocean, by default, has everything in place for the option with its electrically folding wing mirrors, whereas in the Beach this needs to be installed for the Composition Media option.

Just a thought.

I wonder if this is the solution to the mysterious price difference between the Beach Composition Media (£474) and the Ocean Composition Media (£198). The Ocean, by default, has everything in place for the option with its electrically folding wing mirrors, whereas in the Beach this needs to be installed for the Composition Media option.

Just a thought.

View attachment 46566
It may also be that the Ocean has already more parts of the audio system installed. Like a higher end audio system, loudspeakers all around, ...

Don't try to figure out VW's price policy.

Back