Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Isotop

My understanding is that the isotop fabric is a bit like a goretex it wicks one way only. I have never noticed any dampness coming through and as the isotop has about an inch air gap, the sides are a little closer to the mattress on all sides.

It will probably still leech through the canvas but I've not had it come through the isotop (not that I am certain its not still possible).

Sunstoner, if you are ever near Coventry let me know, happy to show you my isotop.

We sleep upstairs only and its made the whole van more comfy, and stops the moisture leeching through when the canvas is wet and you touch it in your sleep.

I might well take you up on that offer as we're due to meet up with some friends from Coventry over the next couple of months. It would be v useful to see :thumb

I was only looking at these last night thinking the rainbow cover was thee (or possibly a v good ) option when I handily spotted this post (Thanks OP!).

Is the Isotop regarded as the better option V say the rainbow cover ?

I don't think any insulation will help with condensation as if anything it will reduce the airflow. Ventilation and the heater are the only way to keep it dry!

I suppose not...it was just something we noticed on the edges of our girls pillows where they touched the canvas after a cold night. I thought a cover of some description may reduce that. :)

I don't think any insulation will help with condensation as if anything it will reduce the airflow. Ventilation and the heater are the only way to keep it dry!
A disagreement - Insulation is critical to reducing condensation as it reduces the temperature difference between the warm from your bodies and the heater, and the outside temperature. Think of the condensation on a single ve double glazed bedroom window.

Ventilation is still necessary and important to allow the humidity inside to lower because eventually water will start to saturate out of air, even if temperatures are the same inside and out.

I might well take you up on that offer as we're due to meet up with some friends from Coventry over the next couple of months. It would be v useful to see :thumb

I was only looking at these last night thinking the rainbow cover was thee (or possibly a v good ) option when I handily spotted this post (Thanks OP!).

Is the Isotop regarded as the better option V say the rainbow cover ?

I think both will do a similar job to be honest however the isotop is internal so fit and forget. You don't have to worry about putting it in the van somewhere when not in use, especially when the weather is wet. It is a technical fabric too so moisture wicking to outside.

A disagreement - Insulation is critical to reducing condensation as it reduces the temperature difference between the warm from your bodies and the heater, and the outside temperature. Think of the condensation on a single ve double glazed bedroom window.

Ventilation is still necessary and important to allow the humidity inside to lower because eventually water will start to saturate out of air, even if temperatures are the same inside and out.
My take on it ... moisture in the air will not condense on the insulated area but will still look for the coldest surface where it will condense, which in the case of the California is likely to be on the inside of external body panels or on the windscreen. I think @WelshGas gave some interesting figures on the volumes of water we exhale.

People sleeping within the confined space of a California expire saturated water vapour as they breath - Fact.
Said water vapour is expired at body temperature and as the internal air temperature of the vehicle is normally less than body temperature the water vapour will condense out onto any surface that has a temperature less than body temperature - Fact.
The colder the surface is the more condensation appears - Fact.
The only way to decrease the degree of condensation is to exchange the very moist air within the vehicle with the drier air outside the vehicle - Fact.
Any Internal or External Insulation will just move the Condensation to the next colder surface, normally the internal surface of body panels in the kitchen, wardrobes or behind the internal plastic trim.

The First Priority is to ensure there is adequate ventilation/air exchange so that you don’t get Condensation. Once that has been accomplished then insulation, whether internal or external, can be used in conjunction with a heater to raise the internal temperature to a comfortable level.

How comes VW doesn't fit these as standard or incorporate within the roof and do all the roofs up to the 6.1 require an Isotop fitting (assuming they fixed it at least for the 6.1) if the roof is going to truly function properly? Plus if you had a Dec 19 Ocean which one of the shop ones would be best for the job https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/p...oof-insulation-covers/roof-insulation-toppers
Thanks Scoobz
”How come VW doesn’t . . .” is a common and constant phrase said/heard amongst Cali owners, like:
  • how come they don’t provide a ladder for getting up to the pop top space, but tell you to stand on the seats that house heating elements that can easily crack
  • how come they only use 2 thin sticking strips on an Ocean’s cantilever cupboard doors, when the glue easily melts in warm weather and the front part separates
  • how come the parcel shelf/bench seat stoppers are constantly falling out

The list is endless and pretty frustrating. That why we have groups like this for support and therapy. :D
The bigger question of “how come VW doesn’t listen to feedback from existing or potential customers?” is easy to answer By another question: “Just how long did we all have to wait to receive our Calis after ordering?”

Last edited:
Ah so a few other things to sort out as well :)

If you want to go skiing. Or snow boarding. Which I'm doing next week and camping then an external topper will keep snow and ice from building up in the mechanism. Other than that I think the isotop sounds great. Altho I haven't got one.

Update on final installation of the Isotop Mark VI on my 2019 Ocean.
I had two issues I like to share and let you avoid the 2 heart attack I almost suffered.
Ok, after finishing attaching the isotop, trying to get the two zippers (those that allow the front side to completely open)to be aligned on the right and of the left with the front balg corners, I tried to close the roof. Following the otherwise terrible instructions, I unzipped the front side and rolled it down fixing it with the provided straps. As the roof is about to close the last 2 inches, I heard an unfriendly "Stack!" and then the hydraulic roof motors made their usual closing noises. The front left side of the roof remained open about an inch causing a lot of profanities. The extra fabric and metal zippers caused this problem.
I raised the roof and closed it agan , making sure I kept the extra fabric away from the corners. The roof closed properly on both front corners but not shutting properly in the middle!
Re read the instructions again, and they actally say the front opening needs to be removed completely. So i unrolled it , leaving it attached to the velcro at the bottom only, and finally the roof closed properly.
The downside of this is that the front opening fabric falls on your head as soon as you slide the hatch open..

Update on final installation of the Isotop Mark VI on my 2019 Ocean.
I had two issues I like to share and let you avoid the 2 heart attack I almost suffered.
Ok, after finishing attaching the isotop, trying to get the two zippers (those that allow the front side to completely open)to be aligned on the right and of the left with the front balg corners, I tried to close the roof. Following the otherwise terrible instructions, I unzipped the front side and rolled it down fixing it with the provided straps. As the roof is about to close the last 2 inches, I heard an unfriendly "Stack!" and then the hydraulic roof motors made their usual closing noises. The front left side of the roof remained open about an inch causing a lot of profanities. The extra fabric and metal zippers caused this problem.
I raised the roof and closed it agan , making sure I kept the extra fabric away from the corners. The roof closed properly on both front corners but not shutting properly in the middle!
Re read the instructions again, and they actally say the front opening needs to be removed completely. So i unrolled it , leaving it attached to the velcro at the bottom only, and finally the roof closed properly.
The downside of this is that the front opening fabric falls on your head as soon as you slide the hatch open..
Yes, the front of the isotop needs to be left unzipped and unrolled to close the roof and yes it does fall on you head :)

Yes, the front of the isotop needs to be left unzipped and unrolled to close the roof and yes it does fall on you head :)
Did you notice the some noises after the installation of the isotop coming from the roof while driving, when the road is uneven at low speed?

Did you notice the some noises after the installation of the isotop coming from the roof while driving, when the road is uneven at low speed?
No, can't say I have. What sort of noises?

No, can't say I have. What sort of noises?
Difficult to describe noises... sort of squeak , like plastic door interiors would do if twisted.
I wander if the roof if under stress by having to press down more fabric..?

Difficult to describe noises... sort of squeak , like plastic door interiors would do if twisted.
I wander if the roof if under stress by having to press down more fabric..?
Ok, update: no strange noises this morning. It must have been due to the temperature difference, as yesterday was quite warm and sunny here, today's raining...
Now that the Isotop is installed it would be nice to be allowed to go camping somewhere...

My roof was squeeky before it had the corrosion fix under warranty, isotop made it less squeeky to be honest. A bit of silicon spray on the rubber can help. Worth checking you dont have any rubbing, as my roof was rubbing through the paint prior to the fix.

My roof was squeeky before it had the corrosion fix under warranty, isotop made it less squeeky to be honest. A bit of silicon spray on the rubber can help. Worth checking you dont have any rubbing, as my roof was rubbing through the paint prior to the fix.
Why do we buy these vans new? It should be ok now, but some silicon spray would not hurt, thx for the tipp