Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Items stolen from pitch

Had our spare wheel stolen about a year ago at Busfest along with several other vans.

Touch wood, never in over fifty years of camping and campervanning am I aware of anything being nicked. Just one of the unwritten rules of camping culture, which if you've grown up with camping in your blood, you'll understand. I suspect now, this is not understood by some of the newer entrants to campsite life, who do not have this knowledge, from the noisy, drunken anti-social behaviour of some, to some owners of the monstrously large whites who will park in front of you to obliterate your view. Sadly, campsite culture is slowly changing.

I should add that further to my previous post, I am very careful nowadays, and even on the continent, about what I'd leave out on our pitch.

I had my virginity stolen while camping a few years ago. (never got it back)

I am also concerned at idiots stealing my sleep, drunks shouting/wondering around looking for their tents at 1.30 am. An old camper with a blown exhaust turns up a midnight, engine kept running for half an hour with headlights on whilst four people shout to each other as they try, unsuccessfully, to put up an awning in the strong winds.
Serves me right for going onto a private site in the school hols, no chance of these incidents on a club site?

I normally avoid going on to big campsites during the holiday period but had no choice recently.

Just back from 4 days at Cirencester CAMC and 5 days at Warwick racecourse and even though both sites were packed, with lots of kids and lots of movements going on at all hours it was peace from 10pm at night.

Most kids were also very well behaved, especially the gorgeous, sweet little boy who came over to apologise after his ball gently rolled across the roadway and onto my pitch. A credit to him and his parents, not for apologising but just for knowing what was right and what was wrong.

For me campsites and kids go together and most kids I saw were quite respectful of others. Lovely to see.

If ever I see anything left on a pitch I always assume it is a pitch marker, this is known within the camping community so anything taken I would say is deliberate
That's why I got @Bigted to make me a 3d printed pitch marker :)

Last edited:
I haven't got a picture on me but it has my vehicle reg on and pitch reserved

Like this :
pitch-1-png.22985

We tend to use c and cc sites and ths as we assume we are surrounded by "friends". Worth taking on board though. Has anyone devised a lock to keep captains seat in rear facing position so the whole camper can't be moved when parked in towns

We tend to use c and cc sites and ths as we assume we are surrounded by "friends". Worth taking on board though. Has anyone devised a lock to keep captains seat in rear facing position so the whole camper can't be moved when parked in towns
Anyone who can fathom out the sequence of adjustments to swivel the drivers seat would probably be safe cracking rather than nicking cars!
Seriously, the danger with fitting a locking mechanism would be that they would either just force it and do more damage.

So far I’ve found it pretty obvious when you have to be a bit more careful and when you’ve got to be very careful then it’s time to find somewhere else. Never felt that there was any danger of losing anything to a fellow camper.

Mike

I haven't got a picture on me but it has my vehicle reg on and pitch reserved

Like this :
pitch-1-png.22985
I have one of these (albeit with the old reg no on) but they look much smaller in realty than they do here. I didn't really think that they would do much good.

We had years of nothing being pinched then we several bits stolen from our pitch, the worst being a kayak trolley, I guess it's our own fault for being too trusting. I think many campers of late are sadly a different breed to the way things used to be :(

We had our towels nicked that were drying on the back of the van. We still can’t fathom why. Topped shortly thereafter by my whole bike rack being cut off which prompted us to sell up - rack wasn’t taken on a site to be clear.

I've just been looking on Amazon and ebay for a "pitch reserved" sign. There are yellow folding plastic signs of the kind they use when cleaning floors in public buildings for £10 to £15. Has anyone ever had one of these signs stolen off their pitch? They actually seem to me very stealable, unless perhaps you write your registration number on in marker or paint.

I've just been looking on Amazon and ebay for a "pitch reserved" sign. There are yellow folding plastic signs of the kind they use when cleaning floors in public buildings for £10 to £15. Has anyone ever had one of these signs stolen off their pitch? They actually seem to me very stealable, unless perhaps you write your registration number on in marker or paint.
I made my own print out message laminated and stuck onto a bit of plywood with a piece of 2” x1” as a post.

Hmm … anyone ever got their wife nicked from a Campsite … ?