Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Items stolen from pitch

Stayed on some sites in Switzerland and felt like we were robbed.
Man, is that place expensive.

I think that the club shop used to do California bespoke ones? Any chance of them re-appearing?

We also spent a couple of days at a site just outside Whitby a couple of weeks ago.
I have to admit that I felt uneasy about leaving anything out whilst we went out for the day so I packed it all away, glad I did now.
I think it was the smell of cannabis and general rowdiness from adjacent pitches that did it.
Later in the evening the drones came out, now that really did get on my nerves.

We also spent a couple of days at a site just outside Whitby a couple of weeks ago.
I have to admit that I felt uneasy about leaving anything out whilst we went out for the day so I packed it all away, glad I did now.
I think it was the smell of cannabis and general rowdiness from adjacent pitches that did it.

Sounds like a site to avoid :(

We were camping in Whitby last weekend and we went out for the day, when we came back our Vango camping chairs that we had left to mark our pitch had gone!!! thankfully it was not our Cali chairs but this annoyed none the less as when we approached reception they were quick to point out in their terms that any losses were not their responsibility, anyone else had anything pinched from a campsite?
Haha love your sense of humour

Sign of the times, I have been camping for 30+ years but more recently I have seen behaviour change on UK campsites.

Neighbours they stay up to all hours, dogs off leads, kids running through your pitch, I also had my Lynx shower gel pinched whilst I was still in the actual shower block !!

We stayed at a small site behind a pub for the good wood festival of speed, we left a water container that heats up in the sun along with a sign saying the pitch was being used by a camper van. When we got back in the evening the water container was gone but the sign still there. I suspect I know who took it but they had gone. First thing taken in 40 plus years. A lot of people aren’t really campers, it’s a cheap holiday and don’t understand, or perhaps they do and opertunity makes a thief.

A couple of years ago staying on a very expensive Les Castels site in the middle of France a toe rag decided to acquire our hook up cable and attach to their brand new flash motor home! Needless to say they were English. Problem was it had been attached to our Cali at the time! Fortunately I had marked ours with our name in an unobtrusive manner. I tackled the “recipient” who said he’d come away without one and “didn’t think mine was being used” !!

We stayed at a small site behind a pub for the good wood festival of speed, we left a water container that heats up in the sun along with a sign saying the pitch was being used by a camper van. When we got back in the evening the water container was gone but the sign still there. I suspect I know who took it but they had gone. First thing taken in 40 plus years. A lot of people aren’t really campers, it’s a cheap holiday and don’t understand, or perhaps they do and opertunity makes a thief.
Twats

Some years ago we had a very nice pair of Trek bikes stolen from a French campsite over night. Stupidly I had locked them together but not to anything solid on the campsite.
Very upsetting.
I reported it to the police and after he had taken all the details and given me my number for the insurance I asked him if he would be sending out gendarmes all round the town to search for the bikes?
French police don't have great sense of humour.

Sign of the times, I have been camping for 30+ years but more recently I have seen behaviour change on UK campsites.

Neighbours they stay up to all hours, dogs off leads, kids running through your pitch, I also had my Lynx shower gel pinched whilst I was still in the actual shower block !!
Lynx!
Never had any problems with Brut!

You don’t have to spend a lot to go camping these days, Aldi/Lidl can kit you out for around £100. So you get just about any scally going casual camping on sites now, rather than enthusiasts.

Surprised you couldn’t catch the Lynx thief, it’s irrestible to the ladies so he would be easy to spot! ;)

I am thinking a good add-on to the roof of the van would be an AA gun or a barrage balloon . I am sure those who own and used drones love them and there are a lot of uses on this site - recording the campsite from above and sharing their footage online - but for me who goes away to relax the buzzing of these things in the air over my head is not want.

So the biggest thing stolen from my pitch has been the atmosphere and quiet.

Last edited:
I am always a week late on the forum. I need to read it more when it is live. I do, however read the top topics, last week.

Following the post about things being stolen. I always pack away chairs at night. I was camping at CCC Pandy, near Abergavenny last week. A really nice, well run and friendly site.

I asked the question about going out for the day and was told to leave out a chair or table or hookup cable. But I was a bit bothered about the Cali chairs going walkabout.

Because I had left my homemade sign at home, my wife made a small sign, made from a paper plate, with RESERVED, written on it, attached to a chopstick. It worked well.

Here is my sign, a piece of yellow perspex from Ebay, a couple of quid and a white painted stick.

Not worth pinching. Written on both sides in indelible marker, so no use to anyone else.

I will try and keep up in future.

IMG_20180828_105022.jpg

I've known people make these signs using yellow rear number plates as they are reflective too. You can get all sorts of names etc made up for you on the Net.

You can get a Radio Blocker for drones.

I am sure those who own and used drones love them and there are a lot of uses on this site - recording the campsite from above and sharing their footage online - but for me who go away to relax the buzzing of these things in the air over my head is not want.

So the biggest thing stolen from my pitch has been the atmosphere and quiet.

I had the same at Stanford hall, was trying to film some recipes and a guy kept literally buzzing the thing straight over my head, I actually own a drone and he was very annoying. It's generally a requirement to get permission on private land, and not fly them over people that aren't aware. They should be at least 50m away from folks and roads, built up areas or crowds its 150m unless you are 'in control' of all the people in said crowd. If you are licensed may be slightly different.

As tempting as they are, drone jammers aren't legal in the UK either though and can be more dangerous as the pilot could lose control of the drone. Not only that you are likely to take out wifi, mobiles and potentially some important (maybe even emergency) comms with it. Hefty penalties for that kind of stuff.

Best approach for drone users is to point them at https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/ and remind them of the rules or complain to the site, I wager they don't have permission to fly them.

I had the same at Stanford hall, was trying to film some recipes and a guy kept literally buzzing the thing straight over my head, I actually own a drone and he was very annoying. It's generally a requirement to get permission on private land, and not fly them over people that aren't aware. They should be at least 50m away from folks and roads, built up areas or crowds its 150m unless you are 'in control' of all the people in said crowd. If you are licensed may be slightly different.

As tempting as they are, drone jammers aren't legal in the UK either though and can be more dangerous as the pilot could lose control of the drone. Not only that you are likely to take out wifi, mobiles and potentially some important (maybe even emergency) comms with it. Hefty penalties for that kind of stuff.

Best approach for drone users is to point them at https://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/ and remind them of the rules or complain to the site, I wager they don't have permission to fly them.

I agree with Matt.

Even with a commercial license the pilot still needs to be in control of any person or structure within 50m. If you haven't given permission and not willing to react to the commands of the pilot then they have no right to fly close.

(correct me Matt if wrong, long time since my PFAW .... or PFCO now ) .... :D

I didn't know you had a license Jen :) Nice! Yup pfco (permission for commercial operation) I think is the latest name for it. :) briwy has a pfco and is more experienced than me

To hold my hands up, I did actually take some aerial photos of the Slimbridge meet upon request but it was with the site owners and clubs permission. I also waited until no-one was around and flew the drone way over the water so well away from people. Most people don't even give it that kind of thought, but they really should each time it takes to the air. They are sold as toys but they aren't toys.

Maybe illegal in UK, but in USA - Grand Canyon - there were signs that they were in action. No effect on WiFi, and the Park Rangers had collected over 50 Drones from the Canyon in the area where the Blockers had been deployed despite signs banning their use. The users were asked to collect from the Rangers station. None had been, possibly due to the 1000$ fine for using one.

I didn't know you had a license Jen :) Nice! Yup pfco (permission for commercial operation) I think is the latest name for it. :) briwy has a pfco and is more experienced than me

To hold my hands up, I did actually take some aerial photos of the Slimbridge meet upon request but it was with the site owners and clubs permission. I also waited until no-one was around and flew the drone way over the water so well away from people. Most people don't even give it that kind of thought, but they really should each time it takes to the air. They are sold as toys but they aren't toys.

When my son came back home from the USA we set up a commercial drone company. On the basis of a spare for everything we had two drones (Phantom 4's) and I also did my PFCO so we could have two pilots. That was 2016 and he has since returned back to the USA leaving me with drone, 6 batteries and a failing memory not having a clue how to use the thing, and no real motivation anyway.

Never mind drones what about hot air balloons?
With a ballon, you get a relaxing wosh as the burner is turned on - can live with that.

You can get permission to use jammers in the U.K. Normally events like concerts and stadiums etc. Those systems don’t effect anything other than the drones.