Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Items stolen from pitch

S

steve and lisa

VIP Member
We were camping in Whitby last weekend and we went out for the day, when we came back our Vango camping chairs that we had left to mark our pitch had gone!!! thankfully it was not our Cali chairs but this annoyed none the less as when we approached reception they were quick to point out in their terms that any losses were not their responsibility, anyone else had anything pinched from a campsite?

Been camping 40+ years never had anything taken. What's the world coming to.

Not very nice you cant be too careful.

on a lighter note, I always mark my pitch with an old washing machine and a couple of bald tyres.
Never had any trouble.

• Disagree
Reactions: JGN
Disgraceful. There has always been an unwritten rule that no one touches anyone stuff on campsites. Sounds like the campsite might have had a problem for a while if they were quick to point out that they are not responsible. Name and shame so no one else gets their gear stolen in the future.

Heard of caravans being nicked from a New Forest site!

We were camping in Whitby last weekend and we went out for the day, when we came back our Vango camping chairs that we had left to mark our pitch had gone!!! thankfully it was not our Cali chairs but this annoyed none the less as when we approached reception they were quick to point out in their terms that any losses were not their responsibility, anyone else had anything pinched from a campsite?
Not had anything taken during many camping adventures over the years but we have found some nice things. We now have a collection of about 20 hookup cables, 10 pop up tents and some very nice Vango camping chairs that someone left behind on a site last week.

Been camping for 50yrs, nothing stolen yet, oh apart from a bottle of whisky i left out one night, campsite in Calais

It's sadly the way things are now, we always used to leave manner of stuff outside our van and night but we have found recently we now pack more stuff away. I suspect a Cali table and two chairs would be worth close to £300 so quite lucrative to a thief

A couple of years ago staying on a very expensive Les Castels site in the middle of France a toe rag decided to acquire our hook up cable and attach to their brand new flash motor home! Needless to say they were English. Problem was it had been attached to our Cali at the time! Fortunately I had marked ours with our name in an unobtrusive manner. I tackled the “recipient” who said he’d come away without one and “didn’t think mine was being used” !!

Only last week on a campsite in Cornwall we had our Whirligig stolen from our pitch whilst we were out. Fortunately all our swimming gear and towels had been removed beforehand, but we were fuming nonetheless. First time in over 20 years of camping that we've had anything stolen. I just don't know what's wrong with some people

Campsite in Wales at Easter we had our Cobb BBQ stolen that was left out overnight as it was too hot to put away. Each night afterwards we would walk around all the pitches looking to see what people were cooking on, sadly we never got it back :(

Did see a Cali table and chairs left outside a van last year while owners went off for the day - braver than me.

Had you left anything else or just the 2 chairs?

Maybe somebody thought they had accidentally been left behind?

It's sad but not new.

I was camping under East Raven Crag near the ODG hotel many moons ago. The klaxons sounded, drop everything, get the MRT vehicles rolling.

Two hours later came back and by todays value a couple of hundred quid's worth of climbing gear nicked from my tent.

I’m at Warsaw airport collecting someone.

I’ve left my hookup cable, chairs, table, bucket and bin to mark my spot.

I’ll have to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never had anything nicked. Not sure what it says about me, but I wouldn't think twice about leaving stuff out on a campsite on the continent, whereas I'd be very wary about doing so in the UK (especially in the school holidays)

Never had anything nicked. Not sure what it says about me, but I wouldn't think twice about leaving stuff out on a campsite on the continent, whereas I'd be very wary about doing so in the UK (especially in the school holidays)

Come to think about last summer we had a blob style solar light nicked overnight from a site in the area of Telford’s iron bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My wife had her toothbrush stolen from the washroom as she left it behind whilst trying to deal with the kids having.a tantrum. It was only left for ten minutes but had vanished when she went to retrieve it. Nothing was handed in at reception :(

I am also concerned at idiots stealing my sleep, drunks shouting/wondering around looking for their tents at 1.30 am. An old camper with a blown exhaust turns up a midnight, engine kept running for half an hour with headlights on whilst four people shout to each other as they try, unsuccessfully, to put up an awning in the strong winds.
Serves me right for going onto a private site in the school hols, no chance of these incidents on a club site?

I am also concerned at idiots stealing my sleep, drunks shouting/wondering around looking for their tents at 1.30 am. An old camper with a blown exhaust turns up a midnight, engine kept running for half an hour with headlights on whilst four people shout to each other as they try, unsuccessfully, to put up an awning in the strong winds.
Serves me right for going onto a private site in the school hols, no chance of these incidents on a club site?
Not so sure. Last month at Cambridge CCC site, a young couple with a small 2 man tent spent the afternoon and evening smooching and polishing off large bottle of Jagermeister. Then at 11 decided it was time to clear up and go to bed. They spent the next 20 minutes opening and slamming all four doors and the boot of their car as they packed away their gear. My "when will he stop slamming those F*****g doors" seemed to work. Next morning they apologised, really nice young couple! Then I'm made to feel guilty for moaning!
Same trip but at CMC site, Caravaner opposite decides 5.30 am is a good time to pack away and leave. Maybe it's just me!

Oh, I've told a lie! We did have a beautiful white crusty artisan loaf stolen from inside our awning tent at the Lower Lode two years ago. The culprit was the landlady's Bassett Hound. This low slung, greedy, dog burglar had been casing our joint for some time before he seized his opportunity and struck just before meal time. Such was my annoyance at loosing a key part of our much anticipated repast that had this hairy fiend come within range he'd have left with my my size eleven lodged up his exhaust pipe. :rage

Last edited:
I used to run a campsite as part of my business, in 15 years the only thing that was ever reported to me as stolen was a Campinggaz cylinder, after a bit of investigation it was discovered that a french woman had taken it because hers had run out mid cooking of dinner.