Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Its a healthy 2691 kg T6

SheffieldSteel

SheffieldSteel

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
..not quite as long as waiting for a new baby but after over 6 months of waiting it finally arrived last night...

I must add that Im very happy with the finish. Seems to be quite a few little interior refinements over my T5, I dont know if this is because it is a Swiss rather than a UK spec.

Just sharing a few pics...

IMG_1204.JPG

IMG_1204.JPG IMG_1208.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1212.JPG IMG_1209.JPG IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1217.JPG IMG_1219.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1208.JPG

Looks amazing, congratulations!

Looks stunning!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's OK (ish), I suppose.

Alright, it looks fabulous! Very... Batmobile!

Nice , did you get the cover with logo also....?

Thanks all for the compliments on the Cali.

I didn't get the cover with the logo although I did ask!

And I didn't know that about Asian elephants either :)

In swiss they are funny buggers at the test center, they weigh the van plus all the options to see if it's over the limit. Anyhow that's how much mine weighs with a full tank of juice.

Really nice, is that the Starlight Blue and Privacy Glass?

Wow, almost 2700 kg, is the T6 Cali really that heavy? Or is that the 'empty' weight or your weight with luggage, reserve gas bottle, water, bikes etc??
If the 'road ready' weight is 2700 kg, what is the total allowed mass for the T6 in your country? For our T5, according to the vehicle registration here in NL, that was 3000 kg. With a 'road ready' weight of 2700 kg, there is not a lot to load, then...300kg... 2 people with all their luggage, and you're already there...

Our 2008 T5 4Motion Cali has an 'empty' weight of nearly 2500 kg. When we had ourselves and two adult children on board, with 4 bikes on the rack and all luggage and gas and water etc, we were 3300 kg, where the allowed total weight was 3000 for our Cali... We then decided to raise the registered official total allowed weight to 3250 kg (we could do that, technically, on the basis of our air suspension) to avoid fines when controlled.

I know we have had this debate before, but remind me , what is the weight limit in UK and France?
I may have to get rid of the lovely new draw I have made.....or go on a diet?

i have all the weight details at home on the log book, i will post later.

I know we have had this debate before, but remind me , what is the weight limit in UK and France?
I may have to get rid of the lovely new draw I have made.....or go on a diet?

All Cali's are 3000kg maximum weight aren't they? (Unless you've had the suspension uprated and reclassified) the unladen weights that VW quote include 90% of fuel and an allowance for the weight of a driver.

The weight differences are quite dramatic. Examples of the VW listed unladen weights for the T6 are as follows:

Beach 150 manual - 2356 Kg
Beach 150 DSG - 2380

Ocean 150 manual - 2538 Kg
Ocean 204 DSG 4Motion - 2695 Kg

Just under 200 Kg between comparable Beach and Ocean models i.e. an extra two adult males.
340 Kg going from the Beach 150 Manual to the heaviest Ocean i.e. an extra four adult males.

I am surprised that VW UK published performance and fuel consumption figures that are identical between comparable Beach and Ocean models. I am not at all convinced they reflect reality. I found some VW figures a while back (may have been from their German site in December) that I have not been able to re-find that showed a much clearer difference in performance and fuel consumption. There is just no way that hundreds of kilos will make no difference when the same engine and gearbox is involved!

But yes, you can load a lot more into a Beach before reaching the 3000 Kg limit. I assume the lack of 5th seat option on the Ocean 4M is due to the fact that it would threaten the 3000 Kg limit with all seats occupied.

Last edited:
WOW! That looks stunning - great wheels, especially!

The weight differences are quite dramatic. Examples of the VW listed unladen weights for the T6 are as follows:

Beach 150 manual - 2356 Kg
Beach 150 DSG - 2380

Ocean 150 manual - 2538 Kg
Ocean 204 DSG 4Motion - 2695 Kg

Just under 200 Kg between comparable Beach and Ocean models i.e. an extra two adult males.
340 Kg going from the Beach 150 Manual to the heaviest Ocean i.e. an extra four adult males.

I am surprised that VW UK published performance and fuel consumption figures are so close between comparable Beach and Ocean models. They're so close I am not convinced they reflect reality. I found some VW figures a while back (may have been from their German site in December) that I have not been able to re-find that showed a much clearer difference in performance and fuel consumption.

But yes, you can load a lot more into a Beach before reaching the 3000 Kg limit. I assume the lack of 5th seat option on the Ocean 4M is due to the fact that it would threaten the 3000 Kg limit with all seats occupied.

Underneath the fuel consumption figures in the brochure is some small print that explains that variations in trimline, options, accessories etc will effect the fuel consumption and performance figures.

In other works, the figures quoted are based on the lightweight beach model with no weight increasing options. I'd bet the heavier models would produce a completely different set of results if actually tested. I hope I'm wrong as the van I've ordered weighs 2695kg.

OK, but VW shows the same figures on the two separate spec lists for the Beach and Ocean and there is no way on earth that they have not tested and certified both models separately. They should therefore know very well what the specific figures are for the Beach and the Ocean. Trim options and accessories is one thing, but a kitchen, cooker, sink, tanks, cupboards and wardrobe another matter.

FWIW, compared to those on the UK site, I am pretty sure that the figures I saw a while back were lower consumption and quicker for the Beach, suggesting that the specs on the UK site are more likely to be Ocean derived. The 0-60Mph/0-100Kph for the Beach 150 that I saw elsewhere were circa 12.9 for the 150 manual and 13.3 for the DSG, or thereabouts. I also a recall 1-2 Mpg better for the beach for comparable models, whereas the Ocean figures were close to those on the UK site for both models. These are the sort of figures one would expect with the weight differentials. I need to track down where I found those figures...

OK, but VW shows the same figures on the two separate spec lists for the Beach and Ocean and there is no way on earth that they have not tested and certified both models separately. They should therefore know very well what the specific figures are for the Beach and the Ocean. Trim options and accessories is one thing, but a kitchen, cooker, sink, tanks, cupboards and wardrobe another matter.

FWIW, compared to those on the UK site, I am pretty sure that the figures I saw a while back were lower consumption and quicker for the Beach, suggesting that the specs on the UK site are more likely to be Ocean derived. The 0-60Mph/0-100Kph for the Beach 150 that I saw elsewhere were circa 12.9 for the 150 manual and 13.3 for the DSG, or thereabouts. I also a recall 1-2 Mpg better for the beach for comparable models, whereas the Ocean figures were close to those on the UK site for both models. These are the sort of figures one would expect with the weight differentials. I need to track down where I found those figures...

Most car makers will try to get away with what they can if it makes for better MPG and performance figures. "Trimline" for a normal Transporter would refer to Highline / Startline etc so it seems logical that they would refer to beach or ocean as the "trim" even if there is a 200kg difference.

The figures are identical for a reason - only the most economical vehicle was tested. There would have to be at least a small difference between the figures of each model considering the enormous weight difference.

I saw a programme on mpg figures. They said companies literally strip the veichle bear, as they are allowed to, so as to get better figures.removing seats, spare wheels etc.
And weight does make a big difference, as I can tell in my car when I travel up a hill alone, or with 50 kg daughter

I agree. Those Toluca alloys give a really solid look. Great on grey and black especially, IMHO.
My other half just caught me looking up the price of them £1,740. But did agree that they looked great. Still considering my options on an indium grey Cali.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back